"Bandwagon" Sabres fans???

Claude Balls

So what if paying fans deservedly booed the atrocious play of the Sabres as of late. I was one of them. To call these people "bandwagoners" is hilarious. The team sucked man-crack two games in a row and a little booing is the kick in the ass they needed. If you ask me, the die-hards were booing just as much as the so-called newbies. I have been a fan for 34 years and I was MF-ing the boys the other night. Pitiful performance deserves pitiful fan reaction. This team feeds off fan reaction more than any other team in the league. Could be why they have yet to lose more than 2 in a row. The Bills have big time bandwagoners, but I think most of the Sabres fans have been lifelong like myself.

I remember after the Red Sox won the WS, I had never seen so many Boston hats amongst Yankee hats in my life. Will that be the same if the Slugs win the cup? Outside of Buffalo I bet there are a few but not to that extreme. I already have my Sabres gear.

I know, there are alot more baseball fans than hockey fans, but you get my point. Baseball sucks IMO. :thumbdown:

So what if paying fans deservedly booed the atrocious play of the Sabres as of late. I was one of them. To call these people "bandwagoners" is hilarious. The team sucked man-crack two games in a row and a little booing is the kick in the ass they needed. If you ask me, the die-hards were booing just as much as the so-called newbies. I have been a fan for 34 years and I was MF-ing the boys the other night. Pitiful performance deserves pitiful fan reaction. This team feeds off fan reaction more than any other team in the league. Could be why they have yet to lose more than 2 in a row. The Bills have big time bandwagoners, but I think most of the Sabres fans have been lifelong like myself.

I remember after the Red Sox won the WS, I had never seen so many Boston hats amongst Yankee hats in my life. Will that be the same if the Slugs win the cup? Outside of Buffalo I bet there are a few but not to that extreme. I already have my Sabres gear.

I know, there are alot more baseball fans than hockey fans, but you get my point. Baseball sucks IMO. :thumbdown:

I'll admit I haven't read the board for a couple of days, so I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I'll say this: booing is the right of the fan. Not sure I would have exercised that right myself last night, but it's absolutely the fan's right to express displeasure with the team in that manner.

But, IMO, THIS team does not feed off of fan reaction. The players feed off of each other.

And I think that most Sabres fans are lifers, as you say, but I think the same about Bills fans. (My main problem with following the NFL right now isn't the state of the Bills; it's the league.) Each group is diehard.

I'm not getting into minor-league (you did mention AL teams) baseball here.

I'll admit I haven't read the board for a couple of days, so I'm not sure where this is coming from, but I'll say this: booing is the right of the fan. Not sure I would have exercised that right myself last night, but it's absolutely the fan's right to express displeasure with the team in that manner.

But, IMO, THIS team does not feed off of fan reaction. The players feed off of each other.

And I think that most Sabres fans are lifers, as you say, but I think the same about Bills fans. (My main problem with following the NFL right now isn't the state of the Bills; it's the league.) Each group is diehard.

I agree this teams feeds off each other, but I was saying I think they feed off the hometown fans better than most teams. You never here these guys bitching about negative crowd reaction like other teams. They seem to get the crowd involved more. Maybe because other teams aren't leading the league in points. :lol:

If this is in response to the booing thread, then maybe it should be in there (to avoid confusion.) But the point is partly valid - there are probably a lot of new fans who have been spoiled by the team's early success and want to see them put up six goals a night, which the diehards know isn't likely to happen. I've never been to an arena football game, but knowing that the average game features about ~80 points, I would be booing if I went to a game and they scored just a couple TDs.

But the PP effort (and sometimes the overall effort) have earned their boos in recent games, IMO.

If this is in response to the booing thread, then maybe it should be in there (to avoid confusion.) But the point is partly valid - there are probably a lot of new fans who have been spoiled by the team's early success and want to see them put up six goals a night, which the diehards know isn't likely to happen. I've never been to an arena football game, but knowing that the average game features about ~80 points, I would be booing if I went to a game and they scored just a couple TDs.

But the PP effort (and sometimes the overall effort) have earned their boos in recent games, IMO.

Well, Bmwolf, you have a great point here. Even as a "diehard" (does following the team for 31 of my 35 years count?), I'm watching this season and I sometimes need to check my expectations. Too many 6, 7, and 8 goal games have spoiled me a bit, I guess, to the point where I look at a 4-3 win like tonight and shrug instead of celebrate. That early streak with large numbers of goals may have spoiled a lot of fans, and not just the bandwagoners.

Thanks to the Bmwolf wisdom--and I am NOT being sarcastic here--I'm recalibrating my expectations and just enjoying wins and good game losses for the rest of the year.

The Bandwagon is in Full Effect. This city is so full of it right now, I can't stand it anymore. Most on this board are full of knowledge and true fans, but it feels like a sham as a whole right now. We're halfway through a regular season and I have people mad at me because I can't give them free tickets that I used to in the past. The team seems to be believing their own hype because the play has gone downhill lately.

I am not one to boo. I'm not sure where it stands on the politeness scale, but to me it is crap. If I feel the need to boo, I'll just walk out. It could be just me though.

I think the team's winning ways has made it so people who liked the team in the past now love the team.

IMHO it's good and bad. It's good because the increased support for the team is nice.

It's bad because if you really love a team you should support them when things are good AND when things are bad.

Also, I think the number of die hard football fans turned hockey fans increases the panic over a 2 game losing streak.

I think the team's winning ways has made it so people who liked the team in the past now love the team.

IMHO it's good and bad. It's good because the increased support for the team is nice.

It's bad because if you really love a team you should support them when things are good AND when things are bad.

Also, I think the number of die hard football fans turned hockey fans increases the panic over a 2 game losing streak.

Booing doesn't mean you don't support your team. It's simply an expression of how you feel the team is playing at that moment in time. It's just more practical than having fans yell "we support you as a team and as a player but at this time we do not have much appreciation of the effort you are putting forth". You would have fans passing out trying to yell that over and over.

Fans have two ways of communicating with players during a game. You cheer when they are doing well or need that extra surge to tie a game or hold on and you boo when they are playing poorly or are seemingly lacking effort.

The point about the "football fans" maybe dead on. In football one games means so much that a two game losing streak prety much could end your season.

We all have to remember that at thsi point last season the Sabres had their pair of 2 game losing streaks they have this season. They also had a 5 game and 3 game losing streak as well. This teams ability of not stringing loses is uncanny at times. It's a mind set that really helps in the playoffs. Where back to back loses could cost you a series.

Booing doesn't mean you don't support your team. It's simply an expression of how you feel the team is playing at that moment in time. It's just more practical than having fans yell "we support you as a team and as a player but at this time we do not have much appreciation of the effort you are putting forth". You would have fans passing out trying to yell that over and over.

Fans have two ways of communicating with players during a game. You cheer when they are doing well or need that extra surge to tie a game or hold on and you boo when they are playing poorly or are seemingly lacking effort.

The point about the "football fans" maybe dead on. In football one games means so much that a two game losing streak prety much could end your season.

We all have to remember that at thsi point last season the Sabres had their pair of 2 game losing streaks they have this season. They also had a 5 game and 3 game losing streak as well. This teams ability of not stringing loses is uncanny at times. It's a mind set that really helps in the playoffs. Where back to back loses could cost you a series.

And in a 1 goal game, doesn't the team "need that extra surge"?

I have no major problem with people booing when the team is playing like dung and getting thumped. However, the fans could be more constructive by starting a LGB chant to try to fire the team up.

My supporting the team in good times and bad comment was referring more to the empty arena during the non-playoff years.

EDIT: And I will admit, it's hard to not get upset when the team plays terribly at times. However, every team is going to have a stretch like that during an 82 game season.

I disagree, Dave - this isn't a pee-wee game where you cheer the kids and use positive reinforcement no matter what. If they suck, they deserve to be booed.

Fair enough, but I don't really see what you're gaining by booing them during the powerplay. The team is fully aware that the pp is horrendous right now. While I probably wouldn't try to start the LGB chant at that time, I'd join it sooner than I'd join the boobird chorus during play in a 1 goal game when the team already has the message. (Giving them a boo chorus after the horn goes in the 2nd would be a slightly different matter and had I been at that game I might even have joined in.)

Fair enough, but I don't really see what you're gaining by booing them during the powerplay. The team is fully aware that the pp is horrendous right now. While I probably wouldn't try to start the LGB chant at that time, I'd join it sooner than I'd join the boobird chorus during play in a 1 goal game when the team already has the message. (Giving them a boo chorus after the horn goes in the 2nd would be a slightly different matter and had I been at that game I might even have joined in.)

I don't disagree that the team already knows the PP sucks, but I think booing them after the period makes the boo chorus lose some of its impact...booing during the bad play is the best way to make sure the team understands you are pissed about the PP and not something else...

The Bills have big time bandwagoners, but I think most of the Sabres fans have been lifelong like myself.

????

The Bills were still selling out the stadium until the last season with crappy teams

The Sabres had trouble even last season selling out the arena. This year, after that great run, the team now finally has huge success at the box office

I think the Sabres have atleast just as much band wagon fans as the Bills. This year everyone was a sabres fan because they now have success. Where was everyone last season or years before when the team was not as good? Thats bandwagon fans.

As for the booing, I don't care what record the team has, if they are playing bad I will let them know. The Sabres were playing badly against the Sens so the fans were letting them know. It wasn't just because they were losing the game, it was because they were playing badly and not looking like they wanted to win. No one expects them to win every game, but I do expect them to play well every game and not take a night off. The Sabres players themselves know that the PP is bad, and the fans are letting them know that it is not acceptable

I believe booing is synonymous with getting pissed off at home watching the game on TV and yelling out loud "dammit, move around and pass the puck, this pp sucks right now!!". Doesn't mean I hate the Sabres or I'm on the bandwagon.

Sabres Rule!

Booing (from wikipedia):"The opinion is often expressed that to boo a bad performance is unkind and demonstrates a lack of sophistication. However, the counterargument goes that the combination of booing and applause help keep the quality of public performance high, by emotionally rewarding the good and punishing the bad."

With the ticket prices they charge for a Toronto game, they are lucky fans aren't taking the seats home with them.
Economics 101, the law of supply & demand.

My supporting the team in good times and bad comment was referring more to the empty arena during the non-playoff years.

EDIT: And I will admit, it's hard to not get upset when the team plays terribly at times. However, every team is going to have a stretch like that during an 82 game season.

What about the '76 Canadiens?

That is what I would like the Sabres to aspire to... I can dream can't I?

I agree also.

IMO. just being dead quiet is more effective than booing. If normally the place is a buzz with noise... I think the dead quiet puts things in perspective for the team.

Maybe I am old-school, but booing (as much as it is the fan's right) isn't really the most productive... I even believe on the PP it is a detriment and fires the shorthanded team up... Just as in football, when your team in on O... You should be quiet NO MATTER WHAT.

With the ticket prices they charge for a Toronto game, they are lucky fans aren't taking the seats home with them.

The ticket prices are not that bad really, its just that you have to buy from scalpers really to get tickets and you get hosed that way........... :censored:

What about the '76 Canadiens?

That is what I would like the Sabres to aspire to... I can dream can't I?

I agree also.

IMO. just being dead quiet is more effective than booing. If normally the place is a buzz with noise... I think the dead quiet puts things in perspective for the team.

Maybe I am old-school, but booing (as much as it is the fan's right) isn't really the most productive... I even believe on the PP it is a detriment and fires the shorthanded team up... Just as in football, when your team in on O... You should be quiet NO MATTER WHAT.

Even the 76 Habs had games where they gave up more than 6.

If people think booing fires up a team, I feel that is pretty far from it. If anything, booing during situations where the players are obviously trying, only make those guys work harder for the 20 guys in the locker room, not the fans. They may give positive lip service at times about how great the fans are, and I'm sure they appreciate them for the most part....but when fans jump down their throats with boos, I'm sure a few of those guys are giving the fans an internal "FU".

Archived