GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Apparently Sundin only has a 2 penalty per game limit. I have no idea how he didn't get called for knocking over Teppo there. There was no need for that. That is clearly what a penalty is. This ticky tack hooking crap is a joke, yet you can put a guy on his ass just cuz you feel like it.

I hate the Leafs! They make my blood boil.

Good win despite the pp and the refs. Marty was great except for his usual one shaky goal a game. 3rd game in 4 nights, on the road. I'll take the 2 points.

Great bounce back game. Marty played well. Too bad he let that 3rd goal in off his glove. He saw it all the way.

Glad to see the Leafs go down. Montreal lost to the Rangers, and the Devils took care of Ottawa, so this was a good day.

Buffalo is now the point leader in both conferences and the first to 30 wins... :worthy: :beer: :worthy:

A lot of poor penalty calls tonight. The Sabres were doing well killing that penalty.

Might be the understatement of the night. Who says Canadian teams don't get more calls at home? ;)

Marty looked very good at times, but that third goal is very typical of him. Letting in one he should have had on a crucial situation. One of the main reasons I have never been a big fan of his.

That was a typical Marty performance, and IMO, the main reason that his career potential is in that nether region between starters and backups - he manages to look solid and shaky in the same game.

Tonight's game reminds me of why he never took control of the Sabres' goaltending situation after Dom left - too many games where he would stop 27, 28, 29 shots, let in two that weren't his fault and one absolute killer-bad goal. Main difference now is we win those games 4-3, whereas earlier we would lose those games 3-2...

Might be the understatement of the night. Who says Canadian teams don't get more calls at home? ;)

That was a typical Marty performance, and IMO, the main reason that his career potential is in that nether region between starters and backups - he manages to look solid and shaky in the same game.

Tonight's game reminds me of why he never took control of the Sabres' goaltending situation after Dom left - too many games where he would stop 27, 28, 29 shots, let in two that weren't his fault and one absolute killer-bad goal. Main difference now is we win those games 4-3, whereas earlier we would lose those games 3-2...

I don't mind soft goals, they happen. It's just the timing of Marty's soft goals. Toronto was beat tonight, they looked out of it. Marty lets that one in, and they came back to life for the last 5 minutes.

What still rough to watch is the power play. There were too many times when Toronto was able to come back with a 2-2 and generated short-handed shots. I know the Sabres play risky, but...

In the third, Ruff put two defensemen on the PP. Smart, obvious move with the way it was going late.

Agree on the Marty observation...he always seems to let in the one goal which makes the games a bit too "interesting" down the stretch. How many times have the two-goal games become one-goal games with three or four minutes left because of a Marty goal. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great guy and keeping him as the backup is the right move this year, but gosh, does he have to make every game interesting?

I don't mind soft goals, they happen. It's just the timing of Marty's soft goals. Toronto was beat tonight, they looked out of it. Marty lets that one in, and they came back to life for the last 5 minutes.

Maybe it's his rep and not actually as bad as we think, but with Marty, it seems that soft goals happen a lot. And his timing is usually horrendous, giving life to the opposition when they should be out of it.

I thought we were lucky to get those first 2 goals, otherwise it would've been another 3-2 loss.

I disagree. We got good traffic in front of the net and put the puck on net. Kalinin's shot was actually pretty nice, right in the corner.