Who's the odd man out when all are healthy

LabattBlue

Obviously, Peters goes back to oblivion and Novotny and Paille go back to Rochester. The tougher ones are Mair, Pyatt, Pominville & Roy. If you dress 12 forwards every night, two of these 4 players will sit for each game assuming these 10 forwards are a given...

Drury

Max

Hecht

Connolly

Gaustad

Grier

Kotalik

Vanek

Briere

Dumont

The way Roy was been playing, he is almost a lock. The other spot would be rotated primarily between Pominville & Pyatt with Mair being the odd man out for the most part, which would be difficult because of the grit he brings to the game.

Tough call, but a good situation to be in from a depth perspective.

The crowd of forwards, once they are healthy, is another reason that I expect Marty, a forward, and possibly a prospect/draft pick to be converted into a solid defenseman by the trade deadline.

This is how I was going to end my post, but I've said it so many times before that I'm taking a break. ;)

Obviously, Peters goes back to oblivion and Novotny and Paille go back to Rochester.  The tougher ones are Mair, Pyatt, Pominville & Roy.  If you dress 12 forwards every night, two of these 4 players will sit for each game assuming these 10 forwards are a given...

Drury

Max

Hecht

Connolly

Gaustad

Grier

Kotalik

Vanek

Briere

Dumont

The way Roy was been playing, he is almost a lock.  The other spot would be rotated primarily between Pominville & Pyatt with Mair being the odd man out for the most part, which would be difficult because of the grit he brings to the game.

Tough call, but a good situation to be in from a depth perspective.

The way we've been decimated by injuries this year, I doubt this will be an issue..it looks like Mair is going to be out for awhile now, and I'm sure someone else will get hurt on this road trip...plus, we have no idea if Dumont, Pyatt and Briere will all return 100%..I think our biggest need is not on defense or up front, but a new strength and conditioning coach, and possibly a trainer..

The way we've been decimated by injuries this year, I doubt this will be an issue..it looks like Mair is going to be out for awhile now, and I'm sure someone else will get hurt on this road trip...plus, we have no idea if Dumont, Pyatt and Briere will all return 100%..I think our biggest need is not on defense or up front, but a new strength and conditioning coach, and possibly a trainer..

I don't think you can blame these injuries on strength or conditioning. Pyatt went into the boards awkwardly. Mair and Guastad were hit in just the right place/time. You may be able to make a case for Dumont and Briere, but those are two fluke situations that most doctors couldn't even diagnose for the first week or two.

I wouldn't put too much blame on Doug McKenney for this year's rash of injuries. I think guys essentially taking a year off has a little bit to do with it as well. Briere only played 36 games in Switzerland (not widely known for top notch leagues), Dumont played 3 games for the same team, and Drury didn't play at all.

Of the 4 guys with groin type injuries, only Kalinin played more than 40 games in a "real" league. Even he only played 48 games.

I sure hope Pyatt stays out when he's healthy. That 5 game string of decent performances he managed before getting hurt, hasn't won me over.

If he can come back and play with some work ethic, rather than just coasting through the entire came, then maybe I'll come around some day.

I'd much rather have Pominville or Mair playing, Pominville has offensive upside and Mair gives a damn. Pyatt just has "talent".

I sure hope Pyatt stays out when he's healthy. That 5 game string of decent performances he managed before getting hurt, hasn't won me over.

If he can come back and play with some work ethic, rather than just coasting through the entire came, then maybe I'll come around some day.

I'd much rather have Pominville or Mair playing, Pominville has offensive upside and Mair gives a damn. Pyatt just has "talent".

Everyone was saying the same thing about Tim Connolly before this season. Who's to say that Pyatt won't show up after he returns? There have been a lot of surprises this year with players clicking with Ruff's new system. Is it crazy to think that Pyatt could do the same?

Things don't look good for Mair right now. After that, we still have Paille, Novotny and Peters in the lineup. One of them is dropped for Gaustad. The other two will be bumped out of the lineup for Dumont and either Briere or Pyatt. It's still very possible that Briere doesn't return at all. If he does, you have Pyatt as the extra depth forward, which I don't mind at all.

i hope its pyatt scratched. i dont expect mair back by the sounds of things. though i hope he is. roy or pomiville will probably go back down or mair will be scratched more often.

Pominville can't go back down. Well he can, but he would have to clear waivers, which will not happen. I think Roy can go up and down without clearing.

Everyone was saying the same thing about Tim Connolly before this season. Who's to say that Pyatt won't show up after he returns? There have been a lot of surprises this year with players clicking with Ruff's new system. Is it crazy to think that Pyatt could do the same?

Things don't look good for Mair right now. After that, we still have Paille, Novotny and Peters in the lineup. One of them is dropped for Gaustad. The other two will be bumped out of the lineup for Dumont and either Briere or Pyatt. It's still very possible that Briere doesn't return at all. If he does, you have Pyatt as the extra depth forward, which I don't mind at all.

Yes it is crazy.

Gaustad is Pyatt if Pyatt had heart. Pyatt wil be a throw-in as part of a Biron trade.

Mair is done for the year and maybe done forever. Relapses that send you to the hospital are not a common part of concussions. The man has some damage.

Connolly had a nasty concussion which took almost two years to heal and I don't remember any reports of Tim being rushed to the hospital while resting at home.

The Sabres also have others injuries like Vaneks foot which he is trying to play through. By the time Dumont and Briere are both back it is likely others will be on the shelf. It's part of being a hard working team.

;)

Pyatt and Pominville get on the bus. Mair and Roy work hard enough to stick around. Pominville busted his ass while he was here (appreciated), but Mair will stay and Rochester needs Pominville back.

Mair won't be able to play any time soon. To say he will be back this year may be a stretch.

Is that right?

I thought Roy had more games than Pominville....so is it based on another criteria?

Roy's contract allows him to get sent up and down. Pominville's does not allow it anymore. I believe he has too many years of service (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, if as an earlier post suggested Pominville gets on the bus, it will be a bus to somewhere else. He will not clear waivers.

Roy's contract allows him to get sent up and down. Pominville's does not allow it anymore. I believe he has too many years of service (correct me if I'm wrong).

So, if as an earlier post suggested Pominville gets on the bus, it will be a bus to somewhere else. He will not clear waivers.

Roy and Pominville were both drafted in the same season, but Pominville signed a year before Roy did. I forget the specifics, but I believe that Pominville is no longer on his entry contract, while Roy is. This allows Roy to be moved back and forth, but not Pominville.

Roy and Pominville were both drafted in the same season, but Pominville signed a year before Roy did.  I forget the specifics, but I believe that Pominville is no longer on his entry contract, while Roy is.  This allows Roy to be moved back and forth, but not Pominville.

For the most part, skaters can be sent up or down without clearing waivers during their 1st 3 professional seasons. After that they have to clear waivers. If a player that cleared waivers plays in 11 games, he must clear waivers again to be sent down.

Pominville went to Rochester in '02-'03. Roy didn't go until '03-'04. Pominville needs to clear waivers to go down, Roy doesn't.

Archived