McKees Status

plenzmd1

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere, but i did a search and did not find it.If I remember correctly, before the season the Sabres were thinking of lowballing Jay this year, making him restricted Free Agent next year, or possibly even UFA.

If so, darcy needs to get this taken care of no? Can somebody set me str8 on his contract situatiion. This guy is one of my favorite players, seems to take one for the club every night.

Thanks in advance for any help, and please do not crush the newbie

The Sabres have a big question coming up regarding McKee. He is unrestricted next season and wil be looking for a raise based on this seasons play. I'm sure there will be teams looking at him very close. I'd like to see the Sabres lock him up for another couple of years. But that doesn't seem to be their style.

I like McKee too, but I can see us letting him go. He's making $1.6 million this year. I can see someone offering him $2.5 million or so -- esp. if he ends the season leading the NHL in blocked shots -- and the Sabres dropping out of the bidding. Whether or not this would be the right decision would depend on the rest of the moves we make in the offseason -- ie was that amount of cash used wisely somewhere else.

The other really scary thing to me is Briere being a UFA. that would be a much bigger loss, IMHO.

All the more reason to enjoy this awesome season and likable team while we have them now.

Go Sabres.

I like McKee too, but I can see us letting him go. He's making $1.6 million this year. I can see someone offering him $2.5 million or so -- esp. if he ends the season leading the NHL in blocked shots -- and the Sabres dropping out of the bidding. Whether or not this would be the right decision would depend on the rest of the moves we make in the offseason -- ie was that amount of cash used wisely somewhere else.

The other really scary thing to me is Briere being a UFA. that would be a much bigger loss, IMHO.

All the more reason to enjoy this awesome season and likable team while we have them now.

Go Sabres.

Agreed on Briere (and McKee)....however, some things never die...such as my skepticism that the Sabres will actually spend money to retain their top FA's. At whatever point Briere signs a deal with another team will come such comments as "We proved we could win without Danny...look at the stretch from December 2005 thru _____ 2006".

Would Briere really have any market value? He has missed most of the season.

23p in 24g, plus a couple of good seasons for us. yer, someone would take a risk. but we'd pay him the highest. most teams i would asume wouldnt pay him much as he would be a risk. i dont see any real chance of him leaving.

Archived