Zhitnik a Sabre again?

deluca67

The Islanders are pretty much entering bailout mode.

For all his faults Zhitnik :

was well liked in the dressing room.

knows Lindy's system.

could jump start Kalinin who has had trouble getting started this season.

I haven't heard about any other blueliner available that would be a better fit. ;)

If you have? Please list them.

And have that guy playing (wasting!) 1:45 of every powerplay -- like the old days!

AND, are you not tired of all those Third period and/or momentum-killing penalties (usually bad ones) that Zhit continues to find neccessary? (Why is

NO THANKS!!!!

I agree with you and many points Mr. D., but Zhitnik is definitely not one of them!

IMHO, the Sabres have had worse players over the past five years, but no one more overrated than Mr. High&Wide!

How many times did I read in an article how Zhit played against the other teams best line, when it actually was Warriner and McKee (I used to find that one particularly annoying as this duo had some great games together) or a cominbation of players.

I challenge anyone to review tapes of any two Zhitful Sabres' games and stop the tape after each and every Zhit shift, noting who did what -- and then tell me that the guy was not over-rated.

knows Lindy's system.

I haven't heard about any other blueliner available that would be a better fit. ;)

no dude, no no no no no.

overpaid, contract too long, offense sucks, had 2nd worst +/- on the team last season he was here and though he was reliable and logged minutes, our team has changed and i'd rather not have him on it.

i would lose respect in the sabres if that happened. we let go of him and seem better off for it. our defense is having a pretty good offensive year and lydman seems to have fulfilled his role to a large extent, considering the age difference.

I like Zhitnik, but not for $3.5 million per year. For that matter, I don't like him at $2.5 million per year. He's a nice player but just not worth that much. If we could get him for $1.75, fine, but that is not going to happen.

Getting him now would just prevent us from signing someone like Wade Redden or Zdeno Chara, BOTH of whom are free agents after this year, both of whom are better than Z, and both of whom would really hurt those GD Senators if we took him.

Great win last night. Connolly's goal was so sweet.

Getting him now would just prevent us from signing someone like Wade Redden or Zdeno Chara, BOTH of whom are free

I just got a little chub. Ther Sens might have trouble staying under the cap by signing both. It won't happen but a white boy can dream can't he?

knows Lindy's system.

Jump start Kalinin?

If Zhitnik was to be traded here the odd-man out in the defense would be Kalinin. I doubt Kalinin would do much good from the suites, even if Zhitnik is on the team.

Guest tyson14136

I also agree, I was shocked to learn about the departure of Zhitnik. there were times i thought that our defense might resemble something of the Buffalo Bills. but, i'm glad to say that with the key additions the club had made, we no longer need someone as Zhitniks caliber.

no no no no no no no

i thought that guy was overrated for years before we unloaded him.

i still have nightmares about his days playing next to smelik.

The Sabres didn't "unload" Zhitnik. They tried to resign him. Zhitnik chose to leave.

As far as Redden and Chara? They both make $3.7 which will probably put them both close to if not over the $5 million a year mark which teams will pay.

Zhitnik eats up minutes and plays more physical then any current Sabre. He is an even player on a team that is -28.

And his so called "dumb" penalties occur while preventing scoring chances.

Sabre pairings when Zhitnik returns?

Zhitnik - Kalinin

McKee - Teppo

Tallinder - Lydman/Campbell

It gives the Sabres something they don't have on the blueline, depth?

But if you rather give up Biron or prospects for a rent-a-player.

And remember this for next year. All the Sabres under contract for next season have increases built in to the contract. That, with incentives, will eat up any increase in the Sabres budget which will again fall way short of any Cap number.

Peace ;)

The Sabres didn't "unload" Zhitnik. They tried to resign him. Zhitnik chose to leave.

As far as Redden and Chara? They both make $3.7 which will probably put them both close to if not over the $5 million a year mark which teams will pay.

Zhitnik eats up minutes and plays more physical then any current Sabre. He is an even player on a team that is -28.

And his so called "dumb" penalties occur while preventing scoring chances.

Sabre pairings when Zhitnik returns?

Zhitnik - Kalinin

McKee - Teppo

Tallinder - Lydman/Campbell

It gives the Sabres something they don't have on the blueline, depth?

But if you rather give up Biron or prospects for a rent-a-player.

And remember this for next year. All the Sabres under contract for next season have increases built in to the contract. That, with incentives, will eat up any increase in the Sabres budget which will again fall way short of any Cap number.

Peace ;)

apart from his contract, which makes me say "NO!" to this idea before iv even come to how useful he'd be. he may have been more popular than satan but no-one was exactly sorry to see him leave. i certainly wasnt. his dumb penalties and lackluster play thru the season have wound me up too many times. there are far better players

oh and not to mention his on the wrong side of 30, considering his paycheck goes up after this season.

i cant even think of why you would want him, let alone think it as realistic. NYI arent in bail out mode, their trying to succeed.

apart from his contract, which makes me say "NO!" to this idea before iv even come to how useful he'd be.  he may have been more popular than satan but no-one was exactly sorry to see him leave. i certainly wasnt. his dumb penalties and lackluster play thru the season have wound me up too many times. there are far better players

oh and not to mention his on the wrong side of 30, considering his paycheck goes up after this season.

i cant even think of why you would want him, let alone think it as realistic. NYI arent in bail out mode, their trying to succeed.

No one except Darcy, Lindy and his teammates.

I want him back because he is a strong skater, good in both ends of the rink and could fit right in since he knows Lindy's system. And the team has the utmost respect for him as a player and a person.

The Islanders are falling further and further from the playoffs. They just had a house cleaning which is always followed by a roster purge. The Sabres might be able to get him for a prospect or even picks.

I have no doubt he is on Regier's radar and if the chance is there he will grab him.

It is probably me just not knowing how the contracts work in the nhl, but why would darcy want to pay zhitniks salary now considering he didnt want to in free agent negotiations, not to mention losing a pick or prospect in the deal as well. My understanding was that he wanted to get Zhitnik back, but his offers became too much for the sabres to counter.

Apart from the salary considerations I wouldnt mind seeing him back, but it just doesnt seem to make sense otherwise.

i think its time to let him go for good... he had his time here and most are right... he does take alot of late game penalties... he's starting to hit the net again and he'd probably be welcome by the average fan... but meh... i think our defense is quite nicely for now... we start falling apart back there then well worry about going for guys like zhitnik.

It is probably me just not knowing how the contracts work in the nhl, but why would darcy want to pay zhitniks salary now considering he didnt want to in free agent negotiations, not to mention losing a pick or prospect in the deal as well. My understanding was that he wanted to get Zhitnik back, but his offers became too much for the sabres to counter.

Apart from the salary considerations I wouldnt mind seeing him back, but it just doesnt seem to make sense otherwise.

Right off the bat you premise is wrong. Regier wanted him and made the offers. Zhitnik chose to leave based on how he felt things were going with the franchise. He had just gone through a lockout and a bankruptcy. He felt long term that the Islanders had a better chance at making the playoffs.

Money was not the issue. The Sabres were ready to pay. ;)

The thing about it is he made it pretty clear he no longer wants to be here. Maybe he has had a change of heart, but my guess, assuming money was not the issue, is he was sick of Ruff.

Yes, if he wanted to be here, he would help. If he doesn't, I at least don't want him.

Right off the bat you premise is wrong. Regier wanted him and made the offers. Zhitnik chose to leave based on how he felt things were going with the franchise. He had just gone through a lockout and a bankruptcy. He felt long term that the Islanders had a better chance at making the playoffs.

Money was not the issue. The Sabres were ready to pay.  ;)

Zhitnik chose to leave because the Islanders made him a better offer than the Sabres did. The Sabres gave him a good offer, the Isles gave him a better one.

Guest Blah Blah Blah

Zhitnik's a very good player...yeah, sure, he takes a lot of minor penalties but anybody would if they were playing 28 minutes a night and constantly bailing out the Richard Smehlik's of the world. I really think surrounded by the right people he can be a solid #2 defenseman on a Stanley Cup team. He's a still a great skater, terrific outlet passer (which is much more important now, obviously), smarter positionally than people give him credit for, far more physical than any Sabre defenseman besides McKee (and when he wants to be he's just as good an open ice hitter as McKee), and he still has the stamina to go out and play 30 minutes in a game if necessary due to injury. He also still has a little bit of "crazy" in him...maybe takes a cheap shot here and there and gets his stick up on purpose which makes opposing forward think a little bit on the forecheck.

BUT- he makes 4 million a year long term, and for that much money I want a guy who can quarterback the power play for my team- Z can't do that, at least not very well. Plus, you have to like the defensive corps they have in place now....Kalinin can only get better compared to his first half, Tallinder has turned into a very solid top 4 d-man, Lydman isn't spectacular but he's very solid, and at this point has more upside than Zhitnik, McKee has maybe been the MVP of the team so far because he's found his game again and provides an element nobody else on the blueline does, Numminen hasn't been great but he's been at least decent, and Campbell's been great on the power play, and his flaws can be covered up when necessary because he'll rarely be on the ice at key points in games at even strength. Fitzpatrick sucks...like most 7th or 8th defensemen in the NHL. I think the Sabres do need to acquire another defenseman, but I think they need a good #5 or #6 guy who can play in maybe 70% of the games- to account for inevitable injuries and give a guy like Numminen a night off here or there in March when the schedule is overwhelmingly heavy. I can't think of any names, but a Curtis Leschyshyn, Jason York type...

I'm not one who pins the Sabres success this year on the departures of Satan and Zhitnik. Especially not Zhitnik because he's a far better player than Satan. But if you had to go get a high paid top 4 defenseman, you could do better considering both age and salary...Ohlund from Vancouver would be a good fit I think, Boyle or Witt from Washington, DanMcGillis, Eric Brewer if St. Louis will part with him, Jaroslav Modry, even Aaron Miller. Yeah, I know none of them except maybe Ohlund and Brewer are better than Zhitnik, but considering money and age (which the Sabres have to do), I think they'd be better fits.

Zhitnik's a very good player...yeah, sure, he takes a lot of minor penalties but anybody would if they were playing 28 minutes a night and constantly bailing out the Richard Smehlik's of the world. I really think surrounded by the right people he can be a solid #2 defenseman on a Stanley Cup team. He's a still a great skater, terrific outlet passer (which is much more important now, obviously), smarter positionally than people give him credit for, far more physical than any Sabre defenseman besides McKee (and when he wants to be he's just as good an open ice hitter as McKee), and he still has the stamina to go out and play 30 minutes in a game if necessary due to injury. He also still has a little bit of "crazy" in him...maybe takes a cheap shot here and there and gets his stick up on purpose which makes opposing forward think a little bit on the forecheck.

BUT- he makes 4 million a year long term, and for that much money I want a guy who can quarterback the power play for my team- Z can't do that, at least not very well. Plus, you have to like the defensive corps they have in place now....Kalinin can only get better compared to his first half, Tallinder has turned into a very solid top 4 d-man, Lydman isn't spectacular but he's very solid, and at this point has more upside than Zhitnik, McKee has maybe been the MVP of the team so far because he's found his game again and provides an element nobody else on the blueline does, Numminen hasn't been great but he's been at least decent, and Campbell's been great on the power play, and his flaws can be covered up when necessary because he'll rarely be on the ice at key points in games at even strength. Fitzpatrick sucks...like most 7th or 8th defensemen in the NHL. I think the Sabres do need to acquire another defenseman, but I think they need a good #5 or #6 guy who can play in maybe 70% of the games- to account for inevitable injuries and give a guy like Numminen a night off here or there in March when the schedule is overwhelmingly heavy. I can't think of any names, but a Curtis Leschyshyn, Jason York type...

I'm not one who pins the Sabres success this year on the departures of Satan and Zhitnik. Especially not Zhitnik because he's a far better player than Satan. But if you had to go get a high paid top 4 defenseman, you could do better considering both age and salary...Ohlund from Vancouver would be a good fit I think, Boyle or Witt from Washington, DanMcGillis, Eric Brewer if St. Louis will part with him, Jaroslav Modry, even Aaron Miller. Yeah, I know none of them except maybe Ohlund and Brewer are better than Zhitnik, but considering money and age (which the Sabres have to do), I think they'd be better fits.

I'd be surprised to see the Sabres bring him back, but wouldn't mind seeing it happen. I would not, however, under any circumstances play him on the powerplay.

Also, his contract averages out to just over $3.5MM/year for 4 years.

Zhitnik chose to leave because the Islanders made him a better offer than the Sabres did. The Sabres gave him a good offer, the Isles gave him a better one.

Any reports I have seen had the Sabres offering closer to $4 million if not over. I am not even sure if the $3.5 was a raise for Zhitnik. He made over $3 for the Sabres his last season.

That aside.

If his return could get Kalinin back on track then it's almost like getting two blueliners for the price of one. Then you could use Marty to add depth upfront.

Another quick point. Z is a horse. He won't be bothered by the condensed schedule at the end of the year. The man could play the whole 60 minutes if you let him and he would be as fast the final minute as he is the first.

I'm not saying the guy is Bobby Orr. He does fill some of the needs the Sabres have most importantly depth.

Any reports I have seen had the Sabres offering closer to $4 million if not over. I am not even sure if the $3.5 was a raise for Zhitnik. He made over $3 for the Sabres his last season.

That aside.

If his return could get Kalinin back on track then it's almost like getting two blueliners for the price of one. Then you could use Marty to add depth upfront.

Another quick point. Z is a horse. He won't be bothered by the condensed schedule at the end of the year. The man could play the whole 60 minutes if you let him and he would be as fast the final minute as he is the first.

I'm not saying the guy is Bobby Orr. He does fill some of the needs the Sabres have most importantly depth.

Link?

He made $3.75MM in '03-'04. Prorate that by 24% and it would have $2.85MM. The $4+ you are thinking of was the Sabres offer PRE-lockout.

Link?

He made $3.75MM in '03-'04. Prorate that by 24% and it would have $2.85MM. The $4+ you are thinking of was the Sabres offer PRE-lockout.

I see what you're saying.

I'd liked to see what the final offer was.

Anyway. $3.5 for the guy to come in and be your #1 blueliner is not a bad price.

No one except Darcy, Lindy and his teammates.

I want him back because he is a strong skater, good in both ends of the rink and could fit right in since he knows Lindy's system. And the team has the utmost respect for him as a player and a person.

The Islanders are falling further and further from the playoffs. They just had a house cleaning which is always followed by a roster purge. The Sabres might be able to get him for a prospect or even picks.

I have no doubt he is on Regier's radar and if the chance is there he will grab him.

lindy's system has changed, the ethos has changed, part of the reason that has happened is because we dont have him here anymore. the islanders havent given up, they had a roster purge becuase they wanted to try something different. your lack of real sight is untrue. to caught up in the past. we are BETTER off without him.

Archived