Fun with Dick and Jane

jayg

I saw this last week and the Rigas' scandal was mentioned and I think it mentioned their sentences as well. Here is a synopsis of the movie itself, but I thought i'd point this out with the Rigas' being mentioned.

Dick (Jim Carrey) and Jane (T?a Leoni) are a happily married couple living the American dream -- until one day it morphs into a nightmare. When the company Dick works for becomes involved in an Enron-like scandal and he is confronted with the prospect of losing everything, Dick and Jane go all Bonnie-and-Clyde, turning to robbery to pay the bills.

Carey grew up watching Buffalo's local news broadcasts. He went so far as to make a movie where he was a Buffalo newscaster; Bruce Almighty.

I think it's safe to say that he has an affinity for the area.

Where was Carrey born and raised...somewhere in Southern Ontario?

Didn't he refuse to come to Buffalo to film his parts of Bruce Almighty?

Not at all. Most movies are shot on sound stages, as was Bruce Almighty. So travelling to Buffalo to shoot is an unecessary expense. The city's lakefront and skyline are prominently featured throughout the film. Actually, it was Carrey who insisted on the film being set in Buffalo, and the TV station being WKBW because the TV reporter character Carrey played is based on former ch.7 reporter Don Polec It's true Carey grew up, and still is, a Sabres Fan. After all, they did win the Stanley Cup in the movie.

PTR

Not at all. Most movies are shot on sound stages, as was Bruce Almighty. So travelling to Buffalo to shoot is an unecessary expense. The city's lakefront and skyline are prominently featured throughout the film.

It would have been nice if they'd mentioned actual streets in Buffalo and used shots of Buffalo residential areas, though. I'm still looking for those brownstones on Buffalo's Upper West Side. :rolleyes:

Archived