Goalie Trade?

gregkash

The way we're playing right now I really would hate to make a trade and screw up team chemistry.. BUT.. at the same time, Biron is being paid a lot of money to be primarily a backup and having three goalies on the team is just... well, too much. I know they like each other, but it's not reasonable and it's a bad idea. You know Noronen is in a situation where he likes the other two guys but he also wants to play..

Trade Value for Biron has never been higher than it is right now, but that's going to fade soon so I believe time is running out, but of course Darcy is frugal and won't just take an offer because GregKash said Biron's value is lessening by the day.

That having been said, I pose questions..

Trade Biron, or Noronen (if you say Miller, we're not friends)

To who?

For who?

What do the sabres need?

Ideally, I'd trade Noronen for a young player who can go to the minors but also be called up if we need him.. Noronen is pretty quiet in the locker room, and not saying he wouldn't be missed, but I think it would be minimal screwing of Team Chemistry for someone that can grow in our team spirit and become a stud... much like Pominville and Roy (by the way, I've been calling Roy being a stud for a long time... go me.)

Realistically though, it's going to have to be Biron.. He makes a lot more money than Noronen and that will help us when we get to free agency next season. That and we can get a lot more for him.. The Avs have a pleathora of Talent and they need a #1 goalie.

I think we need, as a team, a defenseman.

I like your thinking Greg. Defenseman is the conventional thinking, but maybe just maybe we need some scoring help just as much. It's a tough call. Darcy has said the offers for Biron have been "underwhelming." Is that going to change? I for one have always doubted Biron's trade value. I wouldn't be surprised if all three goalies are still here at season's end.

Biron by himself may will probably not bring what is needed. I would be willing to give up Biron, a #1 and a prospect if if can improve the team on the blueline or in the forward ranks.

exactly... if were going to finish quite high at the end of the season anyway then our 1st round draft pick will be of little value... something has to be packaged with biron..... like you said i don't think biron alone will bring what we need.

I agree that with Biron and a prospect we can get something we really need.

I just really think it's defense where we need it most.

I'm not too worried about scoring.. We score by committee, and don't forget that we will be getting JP and Briere back in time for the playoffs.

And you can bet your ass that Briere is going to come back with a vengence.

Guest Guest_Rabbit151

I'm starting to think the Sabres should not trade Biron. The Sabres are going to make the play-offs, and I think they have a chance to win a series or two by skating 4 lines and wearing down opponents over the 7 games.

Biron is good for team chemistry and to keep Miller focused. Miller is still young and Biron waiting in the wings will help him.

Some team will probably come along with a tempting deal, but the chemistry is so good on this team right now, it could be risky bringing in a hot-shot player. Names like Palffy are out there, but for all his talent, does he fit in with this team? If the Sabres get a star player, he eats up PP time, may bring an over-inflated ego.....more risk of problems than rewards for a star player. The PP is #2 already.

I really think Lindy has turned the corner as a coach. I love to see these young guys getting thrown into the PP, regular shifts and crucial situations right from their first game when called up. It's paying off so far.

Miller is still young and Biron waiting in the wings will help him.

Miller will be 26 this summer. It's not like he is a 20 year old rookie. All teams looking to make a deep run in the playoffs, always look to improve their clubs. It's Darcy's job to make sure whomever he is bringing in, will fit in with the team chemistry and not be a malcontent.

Darcy has said the offers for Biron have been "underwhelming." Is that going to change? I for one have always doubted Biron's trade value. I wouldn't be surprised if all three goalies are still here at season's end.

as critical as i have been of him in the past for sitting there with his thumb up his ass, i think regier is doing the right thing by waiting it out. i think that as we get deeper into the season, biron and/or noronoen's value is going to go up again.

you guys can fight it out among yourselves which goalie should be shipped off and for what, but whatever happens, i think we will get more in return now that we haven't made a panic deal...and i do think a deal will be made over the olympic break;.

(p.s. i hope we trade mika and not biron)

Who i'd want? In this order... Sami Salo, Ohlund, Kubina, Jovo, Aaron Miller.

We need defense. We're getting massive offensive power back, like no other, with Briere and Dumont, no team in the league will get such an upgrade come the deadline, but on defense we are very thin. I love our defense, but look how bad we play when Lydman gets hurt? We're horrible. And what IF (knock on wood) McKee gets hurt? You think we'll still win close games with Nathan Peatech in the lineup for McKee??

We lack depth on defense and have alot of it on offense. The major deal should bring in a defensman. If our offense stuggles end of Feb/early March, i'm sure we can deal some prospect for a quick fix rent-a-player.

I can't believe Mika Noronen's name is even coming up in regards to this topic. The most we could possibly get in return for Mika is a Draft Pick or a prospect that won't be able to contribute for several years.

Lately, it seems as if Edmonton is the most interested in making a deal for Marty. Who would we want from Edmonton though? Their only big name defenseman is Chris Pronger, and I doubt they're letting him go any time soon, let alone are we even prepared to pay that kind of salary.

Whoever we end up dealing with, we need to get a d-man in return.

Teams that need goalies, already have a "project" player on their roster like Noronen.

Can you really tell me that Coklin is worse then Mika? Or Auld? Or Abby in Denver??

But i'd definetly say Biron is much better then all of those.

Mika will be a backup in Buffalo.

Biron, Stafford, and a 3rd

for

Matt Greene and Ethan Moreau

I think Greene would be a perfect depth d-man for this years run and will be groomed into McKee's eventual replacement. Moreau is a great energy player and perhaps the leagues best PKer. With Mair likely out for the season we need some grit and Moreau is fast, hard working, and tough. It would bolster an already great PK and Moreau is always a threat to score shorthanded.

I think some may be overrating Biron's trade value.

Cujo is almost 39, maybe Phoenix would want Biron. I would package Biron with a 1st rd pick and one of either Grier, Mair, Hecht for Michalek.

This is maybe the worst proposal i've yet seen. Just because it makes sense in you're ea sports NHL 06 doesn't mean it's a good trade.

If Phenoix is rebuilding, i doubt they'd part with a 23 year old defensman, who is good, but come on, Grier/Hecht, Biron AND and 1st?? You could probably land Sami Salo or Ed Jovonowski with that.

Besides, Biron would do good in Phenoix, but i doubt they are anywhere near on quitting on Brian Boucher or David LeNeveu.

Try again.

Biron, Stafford, and a 3rd

for

Matt Greene and Ethan Moreau

I think Greene would be a perfect depth d-man for this years run and will be groomed into McKee's eventual replacement. Moreau is a great energy player and perhaps the leagues best PKer. With Mair likely out for the season we need some grit and Moreau is fast, hard working, and tough. It would bolster an already great PK and Moreau is always a threat to score shorthanded.

I think some may be overrating Biron's trade value.

This is a interesting proposal.

Although, i havn't seen much of Greene, actually last night was the first time, he didn't really catch my eye. I'd more want a guy like Cory Cross. But i'd settle for Greene, is he a good skater with the puck?

And i'd LOVE nothing more then to see Moreau on our lineup. That would be unreal.

This is a interesting proposal.

Although, i havn't seen much of Greene, actually last night was the first time, he didn't really catch my eye. I'd more want a guy like Cory Cross. But i'd settle for Greene, is he a good skater with the puck?

And i'd LOVE nothing more then to see Moreau on our lineup. That would be unreal.

He made the huge hit on Novotny and wanted to fight Peters.

I've liked him since seeing him at UND a few years back. He isn't offensive minded, but he is mobile. He extremely physical and pretty sound positionally. He blocks shots and I think is the perfect guy to replace McKee.

This is maybe the worst proposal i've yet seen. Just because it makes sense in you're ea sports NHL 06 doesn't mean it's a good trade.

If Phenoix is rebuilding, i doubt they'd part with a 23 year old defensman, who is good, but come on, Grier/Hecht, Biron AND and 1st?? You could probably land Sami Salo or Ed Jovonowski with that.

Besides, Biron would do good in Phenoix, but i doubt they are anywhere near on quitting on Brian Boucher or David LeNeveu.

Try again.

NHL 06? Way to be original....

Nice to see an ignorant college kid who would like to see Cory freaking Cross in our line up can take time to post between bong hits.

Boucher sucks ass. He is not thier future and Phoenix does not believe he is thier future.

We will end up with a mid to late draft pick, those are hit and miss.

If Hecht and Biron are packaged it does two things. One is it free's up about 4 mil for next year that could perhaps be used to sign a quality free agent(knock on wood). Secondly it frees a roster spot for Pominville and Roy who, IMO, both deserve to be in Buffalo.

You say we could probably land Jovo for that, why would you want him? If he was the player we needed to be a serious cup contender than maybe, but we are building for the future. I'm not sure what what his contract status is after this season, but IF he's not a UFA than we are stuck with his 4+ Mil. Granted he's a damn good player, but he's been injury prone the last couple years. Also, and I know some people dont put much stock in this stat, but he's a -4 on a good team. I don't think he's worth that kind of money for a young team looking toward the future. I've watched roughly 30 Phoenix games this year and Michalek is argueably

thier best D-man. He leads the team in minutes, has 7 goals and is a +8 on a very average team that has given up 16 more goals than they've scored. Also, he's only 23 and making the league minimum. He's exactly the quality young D-man we should be looking for.

Name recognition does not equal quality. I think must of us can agree that Greene had a decent game last night, I think the fact that he didn't "catch your eye" speaks volumes about your ability to judge players.

Boucher sucks ass. He is not thier future and Phoenix does not believe he is thier future.

If Hecht and Biron are packaged it does two things. One is it free's up about 4 mil for next year that could perhaps be used to sign a quality free agent(knock on wood). Secondly it frees a roster spot for Pominville and Roy who, IMO, both deserve to be in Buffalo.

You say we could probably land Jovo for that, why would you want him? If he was the player we needed to be a serious cup contender than maybe, but we are building for the future. I'm not sure what what his contract status is after this season, but IF he's not a UFA than we are stuck with his 4+ Mil. Granted he's a damn good player, but he's been injury prone the last couple years. Also, and I know some people dont put much stock in this stat, but he's a -4 on a good team. I don't think he's worth that kind of money for a young team looking toward the future. I've watched roughly 30 Phoenix games this year and Michalek is argueably

thier best D-man. He leads the team in minutes, has 7 goals and is a +8 on a very average team that has given up 16 more goals than they've scored. Also, he's only 23 and making the league minimum. He's exactly the quality young D-man we should be looking for.

Name recognition does not equal quality. I think must of us can agree that Greene had a decent game last night, I think the fact that he didn't "catch your eye" speaks volumes about your ability to judge players.

I'm not going to dignify the personal attacks by quoting them and you should just delete that part. You guys disagree about a trade proposal. Calm down.

Jovo's going to be a UFA.

NHL 06? Way to be original....

Nice to see an ignorant college kid who would like to see Cory freaking Cross in our line up can take time to post between bong hits.

WOWZERS he went after Peters and illegally hit Novotny, what a player he must be.

:rolleyes:

I know what he did, my big concern was how is he with skating with the puck, and MLH responded, in a mature way. The guy played like 7 NHL games, sorry for only seeing one of those 7....... and i didn't see him play for North Dakota. I watched the world juniors, but his name didn't pop into my head, but i'm sure you have highlight films of all his games right?

I never said Boucher is the future, but i know for sure, they won't give up on him just yet, and even if they do, they have LeNeveu, who they are high on.

Regier is building for the future i do agree, but he won't throw "today" away. We're gonna make a run at the Cup.... and he will add someone to help us, i might be Kubina, it might be someone else. But he won't deal guys who are ready right now, for future players only.

Yeah, that was immature of me. That NHL 06 comment rubbed me the wrong way :rolleyes:

As much as I would love to see a run at the cup I just don't think it's possible this year, which is why I dont want to Biron go for a rent a player. Draft picks in general are iffy. I don't see how letting Grier/Hecht go(giving more time to an equally capable younger player) with Biron(who we all agree needs to go) for a top quality young D-man that we need, not to mantion freeing up 3-4 mil in cap space is mortgaging the future. I guess we can agree to disagree.

Before this season started everyone would have been very happy just making the playoffs. How they have played has been a very pleasant surprise but I think we are starting to put unreasonable expectations on our team. I don't see our team as being cup ready. Believe me, I pray they prove me wrong.

I also think that due to Marty's incredible run that people are over estimating his trade value.

I'm glad we're all in good spirits and in a forgiving mood. :D

And yeah, that NHL 06 comment was corny, i had nothing better so i went with it.

Even though you prolly watch most games and are a very knowledgeable fan, i underestimated you because i've been hearing way too many people on the street and on wgr and other message boards, call out Hecht or Grier because they havn't produced much. And i think their worth so much more then just goals and assists to this team, hecht adds speed, defense, vision, and Grier adds checking, defense, but yeah i do see you're point. It's a good one, but i still disagree. I don't see us throwing away a potential key member of a playoff run right now and i don't see why Phenoix would do that deal.

He's 23 years old and is their best like you said.... wouldn't they want to build around him, esspicially since they have 2 young keepers already?

Hecht, hasn't been the best this year, but dont get me wrong, he HAS produced. He's been a little streaky, it's true but I think trading him would be the wrong move. He's a peice to this puzzle. And Grier. I love Grier. He brings so much heart to every shift. You see him flying around out there, and he makes plays.. I mean I don't have any stats on me, but he has a good amount of assists and chips in with a goal every now and then.. He's a banger but he's got a little finesse. He pretty much embodies Buffalo. 100% effort every time he's on the Ice.

Biron + 1st Pick could get us a really solid, young Defenseman, free up Cap Space (not that we're really in danger of running over the cap, We're talking more of a self-imposed cap) and really give us depth in the one place we're lacking it, right now.

How do you guys feel on Kalinen? I really like him.. but sometimes I just think he's another Richard Smhelik... always so promising but rarely delivering.

Who i'd want? In this order... Sami Salo, Ohlund, Kubina, Jovo, Aaron Miller.

We need defense. We're getting massive offensive power back, like no other, with Briere and Dumont, no team in the league will get such an upgrade come the deadline, but on defense we are very thin. I love our defense, but look how bad we play when Lydman gets hurt? We're horrible. And what IF (knock on wood) McKee gets hurt? You think we'll still win close games with Nathan Peatech in the lineup for McKee??

We lack depth on defense and have alot of it on offense. The major deal should bring in a defensman. If our offense stuggles end of Feb/early March, i'm sure we can deal some prospect for a quick fix rent-a-player.

we have depth, its the front D line power we lack. Kalinin SHOULD have filled that void but he hasnt.

Archived