GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Aw, shucks. I was hoping we would stretch the Islander's scoreless streak to 3 straight games. It would also have been Miller's second shut out of the season...his first and only came against the Islanders.

Oh well, I can live with Miller not being a shutout goalie, as long as he remains a big-game goalie.

Oh well, I can live with Miller not being a shutout goalie, as long as he remains a big-game goalie.

I'll go along with that. I don't think he has a chance to catch Terry Sawchuck (sp?) in terms of career shut outs.

Okay here is where the greed comes in. I now want them to continue this streak by beating Ottawa and Pittsburgh. Time to put some distance between us and the competition.

One game at a time, my friend. One game at a time...

Glad to see Hecht bag the empty netter, he had a solid hard working game and like six SOG, he deserves the stat. That was no gimme EN either, outworked two Isles.

I agree. He was shooting all night. That shot was a thing of beauty. Max's goal was a great goal.

Good win. The Islanders played with much more intensity than the last time we played them. We didn't bring our A game, but we didn't dog it, either. I give our effort about a b-plus.

My 3 stars:

1. Miller. Awesome. One of his best games of the year.

2. Teppo

3. Max

Next up: Ottawa. It's payback time. The boys are going to be highly motivated having lost 3 in a row to the Senators. Also, Miller is in the zone, while Spezza and Fisher are both out with injuries. I'm guaranteeing a win.

Happy new year.

This is a hard team to be a shutout goalie for.

He has a penchant for allowing soft goals when approaching a shutout (not that it was the case tonight necessarily), and many times is noones fault but his own. A shutout is a shutout. I get the feeling that you believe that since the sabres play a wide open style, that somehow millers saves are somehow more important or meaningful than any other goalie's, anyways I dont buy it at all.

He has a penchant for allowing soft goals when approaching a shutout (not that it was the case tonight necessarily), and many times is noones fault but his own. A shutout is a shutout. I get the feeling that you believe that since the sabres play a wide open style, that somehow millers saves are somehow more important or meaningful than any other goalie's, anyways I dont buy it at all.

Its not that his saves are more important its the fact that we have a goaltender that we can count on to make big saves. Without a goalie that the team has confidence in they wouldnt take as many chances on the offensive side of the ice. I do agree that he does let soft goals in late in games sometimes but his skill level in net is very importand because of the way Ruff wants to play hockey, not necesarily each save being more important that another goalies...

-Pominville had 3 great point blank chances. I can't believe none of them went in.

-The referees seem to be letting things go again.

-Miller...OUTSTANDING

-Very strange career turn for Satan. he is one guy that I thought would explode in the "new" NHL, but instead his stats have taken a downward turn. If it wasn't for the fact that he was booed loudly every time he touched the puck, I don't think anyone would have noticed him.

-The Islanders just couldn't get a shot through. I lost count of how many good chances did not get though to the net.

-Way to close out a 4 game homestand. The Sabres played very well throughout it(for the most part) and came away will all 8 points.

-Very strange career turn for Satan. he is one guy that I thought would explode in the "new" NHL, but instead his stats have taken a downward turn. If it wasn't for the fact that he was booed loudly every time he touched the puck, I don't think anyone would have noticed him.

He does't want it bad enough. He got used to mailing it in during his last 2 years here and is getting paid millions to do the same for the Islanders. Why should he work harder? He's a bum and we're well rid of him.

-Pominville had 3 great point blank chances. I can't believe none of them went in.

-The referees seem to be letting things go again.

-Miller...OUTSTANDING

-The Islanders just couldn't get a shot through. I lost count of how many good chances did not get though to the net.

-Way to close out a 4 game homestand. The Sabres played very well throughout it(for the most part) and came away will all 8 points.

Marouelli was one of the 2 refs. He has always been lousy. Versus caught him telling DiPietro to stop trying to chop down Gaustad because he MIGHT be forced to call it. While I do believe a few things that would have been called last year are getting let go overall, I think the bigger problem is certain refs (Marouelli, Koharski, Frasier, etc.) stink and believe they are bigger than the game itself. That's why none of those guys worked the finals last year.

Not that it was necessarily the case tonight, but because the Sabres play such a wide open style, the other team gets more quality chances than they would against another team. For example, Brodeur has a bunch of shutouts this year, but his team also will sit on a 1 goal lead and not give up quality scoring chances, where the Sabres will keep pressing.

That is the rut the Ilses are in right now- they play well and look scary, but they just aren't getting enough of their shots actually on goal.

Another way to look at it, and this seemed to be true most of the night, is that the Sabres are not uncomfortable with an entire shift in their own zone. Sure they'd like to clear, but they are just as effective pressuring the other team in the Sabres end, allowing them to win some of the battles but never giving the other team enough time to get quality shots on net. You see this at times in virtually every game they play. It seems to me it is not when a team controls the puck in the Sabres zone that the goals come, but rather when the other team is on a rush. And I attribute that to the Sabres penchant for forcing the offensive plays and bringing defensemen into the play- when the puck turns around, the Sabres might scramble back, but it may be a D-man and two forwards covering instead of both D-men.

I don't think this is bad, necessarily, it's just the nature of the team- the D-men press and sometimes carry the puck all the way into the offensive corners; the O-men have to play D a lot. It makes for an exciting game, and it seems to be working so far.