GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

ahhh nothing like max kickin the crap out of justin williams :D i couldn't help but laugh

Great pic above! :thumbsup:

Ya, it cost him five...

I am glad he got into the scuffle... See, you can skate fast, score, look good, and still fight so you don't have to be the other teams little b*tch!

Max... Must have been reading the board and my "wimpy Sabres" comment... :lol: ;) :lol:

No if we get Danny to lay off the spearing and put lay down some knuckle samiches... The rest of the league will take notice! :lol: :lol:

C'mon ... admit it ... who said something about the shutout right before that goal? Whose wife walked in to the room with 5 minutes left and said 'Oooh, Miller has a shutout, huh?!?"

Great effort tonight ... as bad as the shots were in the first period, I never felt like they were playing HORRIBLY ... the last 40 minutes were very good.

Wow, can't believe they got this pic ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/photo?slug=nyd...nydd401&prov=ap

Same here about the 1st... Seemed they were in the Candy 'Canes' end a lot...

What is this supposed to mean?:

Funny, actually hysterical how they captioned that photo... :lol: :lol:

Buffalo Sabres' Maxim Afinogenov (61), of Russia, fights with Carolina Hurricanes' Justin Williams (11) during the second period of the NHL hockey game at HSBC Arena in Buffalo, N.Y., Thursday, Dec. 28, 2006.

(AP Photo/David Duprey)

How long has Max been a Sabre? And they say "of Russia"... Like that is suppose to mean something? :lol: :lol:

Like the "bad dude from Moscow, Russia".

or:

Look, Russian finesse players can fight big bad guys named Justin (N. America) too!

:rolleyes:

glad to see the sabres put a nice bookend to the sweep this season. I'm glad afinogenov stood up to that guy williams. Even with the crappy 1st period, the sabres are s uddenly looking scary good again.

The D pairing are looking great.

Boy do Tallinder and Lydman work well together.

As do Spacek and Campbell when they can concentrate more on the O

Teppo and Kalinen are no slouches either.

Having the D pairings back brings back a lot of rhythm.

I was lucky enough to watch the game on Fox Sports South. The Hurricane announcers are HORRIBLE. Nice sweep of the Canes. It was nice to see the boys on TV again.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I disagree and thought the Canes' announcers were actually very balanced in their comments. Of course there was the "home team" slant, but both Forslund and Tracy were extremely complimentary of Buffalo and how the Sabres were taking care of the net in front of Miller while trashing the Canes for allowing the Buffalo forwards to set up and get at the rebounds Grahame was giving up. Forslund in particular also characterized the Buffalo D pairings as "underrated" and "as good as any in the league."

I thought Tracy was very accurate in assessing the play, noting that Buffalo was not "dominating" the game yet they were clearly winning the goaltending battle and, as stated above, working harder in front of both nets.

Believe me, I'm looking for any opportunity to trash these guys because the Canes have become a hated or-gan-I-za-tion to me, but the broadcast last night was not bad at all from a Sabre fan's perspective.

I think I'll pop the Sabres' flags on the car this a.m. to drive around town. :D

Prediction: Miller heats up. Sabres, 4-2, in a thriller. Pominville, Kotalik, Vanek and Hecht with the goals.

Gentlemen -- feel free to give me some credit for my prediction above (at least on Miller, the final score and the goal-scorers -- pretty close).

A few other observations:

1. Lindy was good and PO'd in the press conf. after the game. He is clearly fed up with the slow starts, esp. at home. It's pretty clear that it comes down to effort and intensity with this team. When they are fired up for a game, they come out smoking as they did vs. the Caps. Otherwise, they seem to think their talent plus home ice will get it done for them, and the effort isn't there.

2. Tallinder looks like he's back in the groove already.

3. back in the scoring groove: Pominville, Drury, Kotalik

4. My 3 stars: (1) Miller, (2) Drury, (3) Kalinin

5. No issue with being out-hit tonight. Only cheap shots that stuck out were 2 elbows thrown by staal at Pominville during the same play -- the one on which Whitney was penalized and staal then threw the 2nd elbow at pominville after the whistle. Staal really should've been penalized, since it was a pretty blatant cheap shot. I also would've liked to see more of a response, but Lydman did rush in and give Staal a shove.

6. All in all, a very good win. I thought Carolina kind of mailed it in though.

Last night was my wife's first Sabres game in person, and obviously it was great. :beer:

However, when we got home we went to watch it on the DirecTV DVR and of course the piece of crap didn't record it (for no reason whatsoever other than it's a hunk of junk). Needless to say, we'd really like to watch it and also have it as a memento of the game.

Do any of you who DVR'd it have the capability of burning it to a DVD and throwing it in the mail to me? If so, please Email me at cdexchange@earthlink.net and I will give you my mailing address. If possible, I'd like the few minutes before the game as well, with Sabretooth repelling down etc.

In appreciation for doing this, I would be happy to send you a couple DVDs or CDs from my store (www.thecdexchange.com) in return. Just pick 'em out and I'll send them to you free of charge once I get the DVD-R from you. Anyways, hopefully someone out there can help me out. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Bill

It is so nice to have Tallinder back. it is amazing the difference that he makes..... I think he really stabilizes the defense, and the penalty kill especially. Now, if they can just get Connolly back soon to help out the power play......

Has anyone seen the sign at the arena - Awinagainov??? That is one of the best signs I have seen!!!!!

ahhh nothing like max kickin the crap out of justin williams :D i couldn't help but laugh

It's funny how nobody realizes what started all that.

Max backchecked Williams all the way past the net, and then got his elbow up into Williams' head when they hit the boards. I loved it!

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I disagree and thought the Canes' announcers were actually very balanced in their comments. Of course there was the "home team" slant, but both Forslund and Tracy were extremely complimentary of Buffalo and how the Sabres were taking care of the net in front of Miller while trashing the Canes for allowing the Buffalo forwards to set up and get at the rebounds Grahame was giving up. Forslund in particular also characterized the Buffalo D pairings as "underrated" and "as good as any in the league."

I thought Tracy was very accurate in assessing the play, noting that Buffalo was not "dominating" the game yet they were clearly winning the goaltending battle and, as stated above, working harder in front of both nets.

Believe me, I'm looking for any opportunity to trash these guys because the Canes have become a hated or-gan-I-za-tion to me, but the broadcast last night was not bad at all from a Sabre fan's perspective.

I think I'll pop the Sabres' flags on the car this a.m. to drive around town. :D

eBall -

They were whining about the hooking call "I didn't see where the refs arm was raised" and then Tracy couldn't understand why we were awarded a penalty shot. Yes they did give props to the Sabres and play in front of the net. However - I found them very dull and not very good calling play-by-play. I felt like I was listening to two guys calling a funeral.

I guess I'm spoiled listening to RJ. I'll stick to live streams on WGR.

I was lucky enough to watch the game on Fox Sports South. The Hurricane announcers are HORRIBLE. Nice sweep of the Canes. It was nice to see the boys on TV again.

thank god sirius had the sabres feed just delayed with the dvr and all is wel didnt have to listen to tripp's ignorance. Many canes fans mute the FSN feed and listen to their radio guy hes a alot better than those morons on the tv

-VERY good effort by the Sabres. Even though they had a poor 1st period offensively, I didn't think they played that bad in their own zone during the period.

-Miller was solid. I feel bad that he didn't get the shutout, but it was nobody's fault but his own.

-Tallinder just doesn't make many mistakes. Good to have him back.

-Staal's cheap shot on Pominville(I believe these were the players) after a penalty was called in the 3rd period was . I thought the NHL was cracking down on "after the whistle" crap like this. :angry:

-Good to see the Sabres come out with back to back impressive efforts resulting in wins at home. They have had some duds at home over the last month or so which is disappointing when the house is being packed night after night.

--Staal's cheap shot on Pominville(I believe these were the players) after a penalty was called in the 3rd period was . I thought the NHL was cracking down on "after the whistle" crap like this. :angry:

I just want this type of stuff dealt with. Whether it's the players, or the league. It doesn't look like the league cares so I guess we know where it has to come from. :bag:

Yeah, or you could say they are 2-0-1 with 15 GF and 8 GA in the last 3 games and so they are back to normal ... 7-4-1 in December really isn't "hovering around .500" ... 6-3-1 in the last 10 still top 5 in the league over that stretch ... 11-0-1 on the season with Tallinder in the lineup ... it's all about where you draw the line, the numbers can be twisted to make them look hot again or cold compared to the start ...

Still, I agree, these next two games are huge ... home games against, in my opinion, the biggest threats to the Sabres in the East (along with Montreal). Win them both, it creates a nice cushion and sends a message ... lose them both and it will be a dogfight all season. Split them and ... well, I have no idea what that means.

If you torture numbers long enough, they will confess to anything.

On average, each human has one breast and one testicle.

Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Good to see Carolina is starting their version of Marty Biron tonight...

What was up with Carolina NOT going with Ward last night? I know they have a big game at home against Anaheim tonight, but Ward can't play back to back games? I'd have guessed that Laviolette would've wanted to beat Buffalo in the last regular season meeting between the two teams.

I hope Anaheim crushes them tonight.

Edited my post to include the word...NOT :)

What was up with Carolina going with Ward last night? I know they have a big game at home against Anaheim tonight, but Ward can't play back to back games? I'd have guessed that Laviolette would've wanted to beat Buffalo in the last regular season meeting between the two teams.

I hope Anaheim crushes them tonight.

I wondered that myself well I flew my new sabres flag on my car yesterday and all day today lots of smug looks from caniacs I am amazed game isnt close to sold out one of best teams in NHL on friday night during christmas break.