Aud Day at HSBC

PASabreFan

Maybe it's from listening to Milt Ellis and my Jeanneret CD today, or the This Day blurbs I have been posting, but I am in one hellacious nostalgic mood.

I was thinking it would be great to have Aud Day at HSBC Arena. Turn off the video scoreboard. And don't blow the horn. (I know, it was part of Aud history too.) Just play the Sabre Dance when the Sabres score. Ummmm... I think Sundae Bafo is still kicking and hopefully skating. She could do her sabre dance and toss. I'm sure the Earl of Bud is either gone or not in dancing shape, but what about an Earl of Bud impersonator? Play a tape of Joe Byron singing the anthems. Roll back concession prices to 1975 levels. Have Sabres alumni in attendance and be recognized. Play some classic Jeanneret and Darling calls during the intermissions.

What else?

Couple more ideas...

You'd have to have the Sabres wear the blue and gold for the night, and it'd be even cooler if the league allowed them to wear their traditional home whites, rather than the road blues (as current rules stipulate)

They should only play the classical Sabre dance before periods, as the rocked up one with guitars just simply isn't as cool

Allow smoking in the arena, so you get that "Aud Haze" about the 300 level and higher

Maybe pump in fog, about the middle of the 2nd period, to completely engulf the ice...

Finally, to make sure people attend the game, make it very clear that John Gurtler will be broadcasting the game on TV and simulcasting it on radio. No one would be willing to just sit at home for the night and listen to Gurtler...(shudder)

-setup mazes in the concourse to replicate the hallways of the Aud where you would somtimes need a map to get to your seat with all the ramps, stairwells, dead ends, etc...

-bring in hydraulic lifts so that the seats are at a 45 degree angle and the head of the person in front of you is not blocking your view.

-turnstiles at the ticket entrances.

-bring in the old scoreboard. The current one is a piece of crap anyways.

-attach some temporary suites to the wall above the last row of the 300 level.

It's hard to even remember the inside of the Aud. I wish I could go in there one last time before they turn it into Bass Pro. :(

One other thing for Aud night at HSBC...

Setup an area that the players have to walk by, where you can see them going to or coming out of the locker rooms between periods and before and after the game. You have to have those expandable metal gates to keep you away from the players.

I hope someone else remembers this from the Aud. :rolleyes:

One other thing for Aud night at HSBC...

Setup an area that the players have to walk by, where you can see them going to or coming out of the locker rooms between periods and before and after the game. You have to have those expandable metal gates to keep you away from the players.

I hope someone else remembers this from the Aud. :rolleyes:

Ha, now that you mention it, I do. They should also have both teams share an entrance. That way if there is a fight, the players can fight again walking to the locker rooms.

Archived