GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

The consensus here seems to indicate that we the fans don't believe the team is playing hard and is getting "Out-Physicaled". If that is the case, could a possible explanation be that the team is body weary due to their style of play? I see multiple games missed due to injuries and every night it seems like they can't find their legs for 55 out of 60 minutes. I don't think the talent or work ethic has gone anywhere on this team. Every team in the NHL will have these periods where they have to catch their breath while things don't go their way all the time. The Sabres will be fine, we all have this feeling in our gut that says, "This can be a very special year". That is what makes these types of "slump" periods so difficult to stomach.

I am no longer a baseball fan, but I think about the 2004 Red Sox a lot when I see the Sabres. A group of guys with an "Us against the world" attitude, who genuinely care for each other, with the talent to win it all. Before the 2004 season started in Boston, the fans were their typical negative selves and new ace Curt Schilling had to post on a message board to: "Relax and enjoy the finest Red Sox team ever assembled".

Maybe we all need to sit back, relax, and enjoy the finest Sabres team ever assembled. To throw as many cliches into this as possible, we need to remember that an NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. It takes 82 games to get to a point where another 16 wins gets you the hardware.

These guys will keep fighting. Lindy will keep coaching, and I for one will still cheer for this team night in, and night out. I understand that we are in the midst of a season where we can witness something truly special. Hold onto that feeling and keep the negativity to a minimum. That's just my rambling rant. Happy Festivus Everyone!

Lets face it Huet won the damn game for MTL. Faced 44 shots. He was the difference maker last night. Just couldn't get many by him. And oh, Teppo, missed a wide open net which woulda made it 3-3 and a different game. Bummer.

Well, on to the next one!

The consensus here seems to indicate that we the fans don't believe the team is playing hard and is getting "Out-Physicaled". If that is the case, could a possible explanation be that the team is body weary due to their style of play? I see multiple games missed due to injuries and every night it seems like they can't find their legs for 55 out of 60 minutes. I don't think the talent or work ethic has gone anywhere on this team. Every team in the NHL will have these periods where they have to catch their breath while things don't go their way all the time. The Sabres will be fine, we all have this feeling in our gut that says, "This can be a very special year". That is what makes these types of "slump" periods so difficult to stomach.

I am no longer a baseball fan, but I think about the 2004 Red Sox a lot when I see the Sabres. A group of guys with an "Us against the world" attitude, who genuinely care for each other, with the talent to win it all. Before the 2004 season started in Boston, the fans were their typical negative selves and new ace Curt Schilling had to post on a message board to: "Relax and enjoy the finest Red Sox team ever assembled".

Maybe we all need to sit back, relax, and enjoy the finest Sabres team ever assembled. To throw as many cliches into this as possible, we need to remember that an NHL season is a marathon, not a sprint. The Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. It takes 82 games to get to a point where another 16 wins gets you the hardware.

These guys will keep fighting. Lindy will keep coaching, and I for one will still cheer for this team night in, and night out. I understand that we are in the midst of a season where we can witness something truly special. Hold onto that feeling and keep the negativity to a minimum. That's just my rambling rant. Happy Festivus Everyone!

Right on, EdwardSauve (boy, remember Edwards and Sauve? they were great. each of them won the vezina, and we had them in a rotation. talk about depth in goal). I actually thought we played pretty well last night in terms of skating and effort. The difference was goaltending and special teams, plus one team converted more chances. But the Sabres played hard and created plenty of chances.

Most nights we'll have the goaltending edge, so I'm not too concerned about that one. The PP and PK continue to concern me, esp. after we did so well in both last year. But I expect the imminent return of Tallinder to help both squads, esp. the PK. The PP may not become the weapon we need until Connolly returns (when, not if -- that's my position).

The best part of last night's game, IMHO, was the Drury-Kotalik-Gaustad line. I thought they looked great, and I expect this line to stay together and continue to be effective. Al in particular looked like a new man. Yet another reason to like Gaustad. And hopefully the Kotalik wakeup will help the PP as well.

So, we've lost 2 in a row, and 4 of our last 8. I'm not that fussed. Frankly I'd rather see us challenged and have to respond than just sail through the regular season -- quite a few president's trophy winners have gotten cashed out of the playoffs in the 1st round in recent years. We have goaltending, guts, speed, depth and coaching. We're getting our best defenseman back in a week after having missed essentially the whole season so far. There's good reason to think we'll get Connolly back for the stretch drive and the playoffs. And to those who say we don't play hard enough on a consistent basis -- I think the only recent game where they came out not ready to play was 6 games ago vs. Florida.

So, be thankful for what you have, which is a lot. This team does not quit. They play hard until the very end, and they will be very much in the hunt at the end of the year.