GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

this isn't a bad team, they're just soft. their style that won them those games won't work anymore. the rest of the league has caught up. they're going to have to reinvent themselves as the playoff team last year that would kick people's .

I disagree - Other teams may have caught up to an extent, but this team is beating itself with lazy, sloppy play night in and night out.

This team needed to hustle like demons to be succesful any day, including last year and they now think they don't. That's the difference - effort.

Yep. The success early in the year was based on "try and keep up with us" now its "we can outskate you whenever we feel like it."

Likewise, even when we have four guys working hard and doing everything right, there is one &@##$ who doesn't do his job, makes a bad decision, misplays a puck, and screws the whole damn thing up. Just sloppy, lazy, complacent hockey by this team right now, and they need to get their collective heads out of their ...

Yep. The success early in the year was based on "try and keep up with us" now its "we can outskate you whenever we feel like it."

Likewise, even when we have four guys working hard and doing everything right, there is one &@##$ who doesn't do his job, makes a bad decision, misplays a puck, and screws the whole damn thing up. Just sloppy, lazy, complacent hockey by this team right now, and they need to get their collective heads out of their ...

exactly...i've found myself saying "wow, they've looked good this shift!" I'M EVEN LOWERING MY STANDARD OF EXPECTATIONS...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT???

82 games...i know, i know....

I don't mean to be all doom and gloom here, but I've seen this coming since early November.

The fact is that, even if the results don't reflect it, we've played like this for 6 weeks now.

I don't see how they're just going to snap out of it again, I think maybe a trade for the sake of a trade might be a good idea for once. Simply to show the players that nobody is safe on this team. Let's face it, we haven't dealt anyone since I can't remember, who could blame them for becoming complacent?

Hey, I said 5-2. :)

Oh yeah, I was mentioning earlier about pucks from the point somehow getting through Miller, and we again saw it in the third. It's really starting to creep me out.

I have to say though, that a potential weakness from Miller is the least of my worries right now, although I see your point.

We got 18 skaters who've all gotten into their heads that there's no need for them to play hard anymore, well knowing that effort was the only thing that made this team succesful last year. Without effort, these guys are the 2002-2003 Sabres all over again.

And this can make me wake up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat.

Hey, I said 5-2. :)

Oh yeah, I was mentioning earlier about pucks from the point somehow getting through Miller, and we again saw it in the third. It's really starting to creep me out.

He is a waif :lol: ... He needs to put some pounds on... He'll blow away out there!

I can give him some... ;) ;)

The most key of the stats I saw at any point during the game was (I believe) early in the third period when an MSG graphic showed the Sabres had 13 giveaways to the Canadiens' four. THIRTEEN giveaways? To FOUR? We're seeing way too many soft passes, long passes and stupid backhand passes. Make sharp, hard passes directly to your teammates' tape. They teach that in pee-wees for cryin' out loud!

None of us have a real problem with them losing games if they can't find the back of the net, or the goalies struggle, or the puck doesn't bounce their way. But most of us can't stomach losing when you don't put in the effort, and that's what stinks about the last few games, going back to some of the games we have won by "turning it on" for a few minutes here and there.

The most key of the stats I saw at any point during the game was (I believe) early in the third period when an MSG graphic showed the Sabres had 13 giveaways to the Canadiens' four. THIRTEEN giveaways? To FOUR? We're seeing way too many soft passes, long passes and stupid backhand passes. Make sharp, hard passes directly to your teammates' tape. They teach that in pee-wees for cryin' out loud!

Actually, I see that as indicative of a team that's behind and pressing to force a goal.

I was at the game. Some thoughts...

-One team had very good goaltending, the other did not.

-WTF was Drury doing passing the puck when he had that break in on goal??

-I noticed Campbell making several plays that reminded me of the "old" Campbell.

-First game I've been to in a while where Max was a non-factor. Matter of fact, that line was a non-factor.

I was at the game. Some thoughts...

-One team had very good goaltending, the other did not.

-WTF was Drury doing passing the puck when he had that break in on goal??

-I noticed Campbell making several plays that reminded me of the "old" Campbell.

-First game I've been to in a while where Max was a non-factor. Matter of fact, that line was a non-factor.

This is driving me crazy. In the third the goal lamp came on. The goal was waived off and play wasn't stopped which led to a break to the opposite zone and resulted in a goal (all the backcheckers were out of position).

A) shouldn't the goal lamp stop play?

B) Does the Montreal goal count if the Buffalo goal counts. I think not because there has to be a center ice faceoff after the first goal.

Either way, what the hell was that?

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is how it works:

If there is a disputed goal (as in the Sabres thought it went in and the ref didn't) play continues because in the ref's mind, nothing has happened to stop play (such as a covered puck, puck out of play, offsides, etc.) Once the continuing action stops, they go back and review, and if its a goal, the clock rolls back to when the puck crossed the line, and everything that happened between the disputed goal and the ensuing stoppage is wiped out, including goals, penalties, etc.

EDIT: In Section 10 (Game Flow) Rule 78.5 VII states:

When video review confirms the scoring of a goal at one end of the ice, any goal scored at the other end on the same play must be disallowed.

78.6 is much more lengthy, and I am too tired to type it all out, but basically goes into more depth than 78.5 about resetting the clock. etc.

This is driving me crazy. In the third the goal lamp came on. The goal was waived off and play wasn't stopped which led to a break to the opposite zone and resulted in a goal (all the backcheckers were out of position).

B) Does the Montreal goal count if the Buffalo goal counts. I think not because there has to be a center ice faceoff after the first goal.

Why was it waived off and disallowed? I couldn't watch... What was the deal on replay?

Like Bm said above they had to review it and not count it? That is why they allowed the Hab goal... THe play was still going...

What a bummer and back breaker :death: ... Just shows you to never stop skating till you here the whistle!

Would that have been the tieing goal? Or was it when the Habs had a 4-2 lead?

A- Ideally, yes, in reality, no. The goal light comes on randomly far too often. The only thing that officially stops play TtBoMK is a whistle.

B- BM has the scenario spelled out correctly.

C- No friggin' idea, as I was already getting thumped in my "Thursday" night game. :angry:

To the OBNOXIOUS Canadiens fans behind me at the game, take your "Ole,ole, ole..." chant and stick it up your ass!

Once the score hit 5-2, they started taunting people leaving early, making some lame Norwood jokes, started chanting "Miller, Miller, Miller...", etc...

F U! :angry:

To the OBNOXIOUS Canadiens fans behind me at the game, take your "Ole,ole, ole..." chant and stick it up your ass!

Once the score hit 5-2, they started taunting people leaving early, making some lame Norwood jokes, started chanting "Miller, Miller, Miller...", etc...

F U! :angry:

Once again, at least on TV, it appeared as if huge chunks of the lower bowl were filled with out of town fans. The theory seems to be that season ticket holders sell off their seats, but I can't imagine THAT many Sabre fans in one section would do that. It appears as if the Sabres hold back rows of seats for the purpose of selling to Montreal and Toronto fans, and I hate that! Way to take away part of your home ice advantage.