Gameday thread: Sabres @ Devils

JujuFish

That last one never happens if Drury is out there instead of Novotny on the draw ... great work by Goose off the center ice draw though ... not going to let the last minute tarnish this one, that was a pretty complete game they played tonight.

i agree. i haven't seen a defensive effort like that in a while. the devils got their chances, but the sabres really shut down the home run plays. good playoff type game.

Both Goose and Novotny are on the ice for that faceoff, so why is the worse faceoff guy taking such a critical draw? Goose should have been the guy with Novotny there as a backup, not the other way around...

Meh, really only thing to bitch about, I'm glad we held on and this road trip didn't turn into a big disappointment.

My 3 stars

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: Miller

:worthy: :worthy: Danny

:worthy: Vanek

:doh: OOPS Wrong order

1. Miller

2. Briere

3. Vanek - for playing on the 4th line. His presence their began to change the game.

On the Miller penalty.

He was outside the trapezoid by a foot or two. He brought the puck into the trapezoid on his backhand and move toward the back of the net. He then changed to his forehand and shot it out the other side.

He was pretty adamant that he didn't do anything worng. Ruff looked calm. Never has fully understood the ruling myself.

IF he made contact with the puck while it was both behind the goal line AND outside the trapezoid, then it was the correct call. It looked to me like he did not make contact with it when it was both behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid. So, IMHO, it was the wrong call. But it was darn close either way.

The mere fact he was "playing" it outside the trapezoid doesn't matter at all. It only matters if he makes contact with it outside the trapezoid. Also, IF a goalie has a skate in the crease, he can contact the puck behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid.

These VS guys are horrible, they were blasting Buffalo and the score was still 0-0.

You should have heard the NJ announcers. I listened to their call on XM during the first period and all they could do was repeat over and over "the Devils have shown they can skate with the Sabres" and "the Devils have dictated the game to the Sabres" and "the Devils have really outplayed the Sabres tonight." Then once in awhile they'd mention that the score was 0-0. :doh:

I wish I could have heard their call when it was 3-0. Although I bet you at the end of the game they were claiming that "the Devils really won tonight even though they lost." :rolleyes:

Buffalo scores on a break

Briere's shot finsihed by Hecht

Buffalo: :ph34r: NJ:

What hand-eye coordination by Hecht. He's done this a number of times. Batted the puck out of mid air between the defender's legs. Simply amazing! :worthy:

Can anyone explain that penalty on Miller? call or not?

Normally, lines are part of the 'area'. It looked like he played it while it was on one of the lines. Either way, he was too close, and should learn from it.

That last one never happens if Drury is out there instead of Novotny on the draw ... great work by Goose off the center ice draw though ... not going to let the last minute tarnish this one, that was a pretty complete game they played tonight.

I'd like to know why Gaustad didn't take that draw. Come on!

Went to the game tonight. Had a good time. The place was empty. You guys probably saw me on TV, I was the guy in the stands. Sorry bad joke. Seriously, there were a ton of Sabres fans there. I thought Miller played great tonight. Too bad he didn't get the shutout. From the replay I saw, it looked like the first one was a goal by about an inch. The second one looked like a good shot. I thought it was kind of funny how the 10 Devils fans still at the game acted like they just won the cup when they scored the first one.

As for the comments by the Devils announcers, the Devils were able to skate with the Sabres and play their game for 20 minutes....It takes 60 to win the game.

Went to the game tonight. Had a good time. The place was empty. You guys probably saw me on TV, I was the guy in the stands. Sorry bad joke. Seriously, there were a ton of Sabres fans there. I thought Miller played great tonight. Too bad he didn't get the shutout. From the replay I saw, it looked like the first one was a goal by about an inch. The second one looked like a good shot. I thought it was kind of funny how the 10 Devils fans still at the game acted like they just won the cup when they scored the first one.

As for the comments by the Devils announcers, the Devils were able to skate with the Sabres and play their game for 20 minutes....It takes 60 to win the game.

They were showing lots of sabres fans on Versus in the third.

But the biggest homer call was in the third period when the "Let's go Buffalo" was

audible on the broadcast. Emmerick said, "Let's go Devils is the Chant".

NIcely done anyway.

IF he made contact with the puck while it was both behind the goal line AND outside the trapezoid, then it was the correct call. It looked to me like he did not make contact with it when it was both behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid. So, IMHO, it was the wrong call. But it was darn close either way.

The mere fact he was "playing" it outside the trapezoid doesn't matter at all. It only matters if he makes contact with it outside the trapezoid. Also, IF a goalie has a skate in the crease, he can contact the puck behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid.

What is the purpose of this rule anyway?

we haven't won in NJ since februrary of 2001? damn, that's one bad streak!

3-2... we were able to match the devils for most of the early part of the game. then we opened it up, but let them back in. Good victory. very few penalties, and save that fart at the end. great way to end the road trip, after a miserable start. terrible loss to washington, rebound against the lightning, worst loss of the year against florida, a gift game vs. the habs, and then this one. I'll take that road trip!

Why was it a gift game? I thought the Sabres played great vs. the habs and earned a W against a very strong team.

Some thoughts on tonight's excellent win:

1. this game, combined with the Montreal win, represent the sabres' best back-to-back efforts of the year.

2. Miller is the man.

3. So is Briere. Right now he's projecting to a 40-goal, 97-point season. I'm starting to think we are going to try to resign him by any means necessary, including either or both of (i) spending to the newly raised cap limit again this offseason and (ii) letting one or two other expensive guys go.

4. Also excellent efforts, IMHO, by: Campbell, Spacek, Hecht, Gaustad and Stafford.

5. Those huge swaths of empty seats are kind of a bummer. I saw the same thing last night during Washington vs. Pittsburgh.

6. pretty good production tonight by VS.

7. After some shaky moments in the 1st period, we played a very disciplined, fundamentally sound game in our end. Good to see us out-execute a very good team at their type of game. This looked quite a bit more like playoff-style hockey -- it was reassuring to see us play it so well.

8. Also great to see Pominville finally get one in. Before tonight he had 1 goal in the past 12 games.

9. My 3 stars: Briere#1, Miller#2, Hecht#3.

This was a great win. I use the term "great" because of the circumstances:

-- Devils one of the hottest teams around, winners of 5 straight before last night;

-- Devils went into the game with the league's best home record;

-- it was a classic "offense vs. defense" matchup on paper that almost always favors the defensive squad;

-- as the Vs. guys said afterwards, the Swordsmen proved that they can play "more than one way" and showed a lot of grit defensively until NJ finally made some mistakes, and then the Sabres' speed capitalized immediately;

-- no Drury, no Teppo, and (of course) no Hank.

Outstanding effort.

Someone described this as a "playoff-game" type of effort. I think that was a good description.

Was nice to see some D being played.

The powerplay is officially broke. It looked awful in the first, better in the second and better still in the third and still they got nothing for it.

Hard to fix the PP vs. NJ.

I wasn't looking for it to get fixed, just show some signs of life. I know NJ is tough, but the last two were certainly during times when momentum was in Buffalo's favor. They had some shots on goal during the last two and extended play in the Devil's zone. 1/5 would have been acceptable.

Why was it a gift game? I thought the Sabres played great vs. the habs and earned a W against a very strong team.

i say that because we were grossly outplayed throughout parts of the game, but somehow came upt with a win. Maybe "gift game" was too strong of words, but it was a matchup that hte sabres didn't dominate and it could have gone the other way very quickly. However, we won, so end of story

But the biggest homer call was in the third period when the "Let's go Buffalo" was

NIcely done anyway.

I caught that too, and yelled "What the hell is HE hearing" at the TV.

Yeah! I notice the same thing. Emmerick also pulled that stunt at the ECF game 1 telecast. We Tivoed the game and watched it that night. You could CLEARLY hear lets go Buffalo - but Emmerick said "Canes."

:oops:

NIcely done anyway.

Isn't Emmerick the Devils' play-by-play guy? Maybe he forgot he was doing the Vs. game last night! :lol:

They also talked alot about the scarcity of the Slug jerseys...rambling for awhile that you can forget about getting one for Christmas and it may be the playoffs before you can get 'em.