Gameday thread: Sabres @ Devils

JujuFish

Spoken like a goaltender - The posts/crossbar are part of the equipment. :)

I'm not a goaltender, but it's definitely true. But I meant that I thought Miller got his stick on it and deflected it up into the additional piece of goalie equipment.

They actually played D that period.

Interesting move to put Vanek on the 4th line. Heck, Mair might be able to score with him there.

That might be what they are trying to do. Mair and Gaustad have been working hard all night and have been close to scoring. They might of put Vanek on to help score.

On the Miller penalty.

He was outside the trapezoid by a foot or two. He brought the puck into the trapezoid on his backhand and move toward the back of the net. He then changed to his forehand and shot it out the other side.

He was pretty adamant that he didn't do anything worng. Ruff looked calm. Never has fully understood the ruling myself.

Can anyone explain that penalty on Miller? call or not?

Seemed like a good call, technically. He played the puck below the goal line outside the trapezoid. Ticky-tack? Sure. This game has been called a bit differently than the other 40 or so games I've watched this year. They seem to be letting a few hooks/clutches go, but that one was something I thought would be ignored.

I predict a parade to the penalty box in the 3rd. The Devils will be tired from playing this up-and-down stuff and will resort to clutching a bit more. Of course, I could be wrong.

Can anyone explain that penalty on Miller? call or not?

Tricky call. He definitely slid the puck through a little corner of illegal ice, but whether he played it in there is another thing. Anyone slow it down on replay?

Briere 5-1 on faceoffs in the second. Also interesting to note that Sekera played over five minutes in the first, but only a minute or so in the second. Power plays affected his time, I suppose, but still... we don't seem to have any defensive depth Ruff can trust. It's disconcerting.

All in all, a much better period for the Sabres. As is their tendency, they waited a little while to find their legs.

I like Emerick, but he's getting on my nerves tonight. You can tell from his voice he's a Devils guy. And why make everything so clever -- "two seconds more than nine and three quarter minutes left"?! Anything wrong with saying 9:47?

And he said something in the first I couldn't repeat to save my life, but it was something was doubled while another thing was quintupled. I felt like I was taking the math part of the SAT again. This time I wanted the trains to collide, killing all on board, including Doc.