Sabre's Blueline?

deluca67

After busting out NHL 2005 to check out the Sabre's old roster I find myself wondering, "Who will play D for the Sabre's this year?" If Zhitnik is gone it doesn't leave much as far as the blueline goes.

Kalinin - Without Zhitnik he's your #1 Blueliner.

Patrick - 2 years older and 2 years slower. Even still, he's the Sabres 2nd best defensemen.

McKee - Maybe the extra year will help with the concussions. He hasn't been the same since Super Mario knocked him out.

Tallinder - Could go either way. He could be solid or end up in Rochester. Big question mark.

Campbell - Bust. He doesn't score close to enough to make up for the lack of defense.

Fitzpatrick - Great for Rochester. Speed of the game with the new rule changes will have him back there.

Jeff Jillson - Dime a dozen. Your basic #5 -6 Blueliner. Not great at anything. Could fill a hole here and there. Wouldn't put him on the ice with a lead and 2:00 minutes on the clock.

Brad Brown - Slow goons have been removed from the game with the rule changes.

I hope the Aaron Miller talk has some truth in it. I hope the Sabres #1 priority is to stock up on Defense in the draft and the FA market.

Peace All...

I'm not a big fan of Zhitnik but he was decent. The dilemma for Buffalo is that the last time out (last summer), he was demanding way too much money. He is not worth 4 million-a-year. That's insane. Now that the market has dropped, he shouldn't get more than 2.5-3 tops.

I don't know if I'd pay him that. Jillson is an offensive D-man. They do need to get someone to anchor their blueline.

I don't care if the game is opening up, the Sabres need some serious toughness on defense, and I don't necessarily mean fighting. Just a guy who will dish out punishing body checks along the boards and make opposing players pay if they want to stand in front of the net. I'd love to have Warrener back right about now.

Here's what we have now for toughness...

Kalinin...not a very physical player considering his size.

McKee...hasn't been the physical presence since the concussion.

Tallinder...Bill Hajt reincarnated.

Not a single decent body check between them combined....

Patrick(if he is re-signed)

Fitzpatrick

Campbell

Jillson

Janik

etc...

Pitiful :(

Archived