Sabres vs. Devils (01/07)

PTS

This is a very winable game tonight. Drury is questionable but if I was Lindy, I'd sit him since we have a long break before our next game on Thursday.

Ottawa plays up in Montreal, hopefully we can get within one point of first place tonight.

Well it looks like we finally got to the bottom of our barrel. Without Briere, Dumont, Drury, and Lydman we were out of sync. All of the lines tonight were not comfortable with each other. I know that this will seem like a knee jerk statement but Connolly should be packaged with Biron. His play, except for a couple games this year, has been disappointing.

I know that this will seem like a knee jerk statement but Connolly should be packaged with Biron. 

Umm, just a little... ;)

Hey, it did feel like the Amerks were playing the Devils...i thought they showed some heart there at the end...

You can't expect this team to continue the great streak with Briere and Drury out...

I've said it before, and after tonite, it showed - this is Drury's team and I would say he and maybe Mckee have been the MVP's of this team to date...

Well it looks like we finally got to the bottom of our barrel. Without Briere, Dumont, Drury, and Lydman we were out of sync. All of the lines tonight were not comfortable with each other. I know that this will seem like a knee jerk statement but Connolly should be packaged with Biron. His play, except for a couple games this year, has been disappointing.

What are you talking?.............Connolly is one of the best surprises about this year, he is a heck of a playmaker and is gonna get even better with more NHL experience, not to mention I think he is leading the Sabres in scoring......... B-)

Vanek's goal there just saved the whole game from being a complete downer. It's just too bad they couldn't get that shot of energy earlier.

On that final faceoff Vanek tried to score himself. If he laid the pass off to Max, we would have been going to OT.

New Jersey Devils = Florida Panthers

Boring, defensive team with a superstar goaltender.

Also, I hate Don Koharski. Only one power play tonight? I think Buffalo has lost every game he's refed this season.

Although I've said we should trade for a forward, I think tonight showed that a trade involving Marty should involve getting a d-man in return. If it weren't for some huge saves from Miller, NJ could have easily scored 6-7. Noone was helping out on rebounds around the net, NJ players were unmarked, and our defense was basically out-classed.

Another concern of mine is our ability to score at even strength. Its great to have as good a pp as we do, but you've gotta be able to score at even strength as well.

What are you talking?.............Connolly is one of the best surprises about this year, he is a heck of a playmaker and is gonna get even better with more NHL experience, not to mention I think he is leading the Sabres in scoring......... B-)

leading the Sabres in scoring doesn't tell me much because this team has been without it's two top forwards and many players have had to step up. Yes, he has made some "pretty" goals but his overall decision making has been bad and if you were to concentrate on his ability to pass then you would realize that he turns the puck over in the offensive zone frequently. That is what I'm talking about. :P

The consensus after this game in the media at least is that the "kids" finally showed their true colors. That this team is some house of cards -- you pull out Chris Drury, and it all falls apart with too many "rookies" in the lineup. I'm not buying it. As PTS wrote, this was a very winnable game. It sounds to me as if the Sabres continued their bothersome trend of getting off to a slow start, then pouring it on from behind, and not scoring enough goals at even-strength. Add in an uncharacteristic defensive collapse over a seven or eight minute stretch, and you have another loss at home. This team is on the verge right now and doesn't need to start making excuses for losing. It's starting to look like a .500 team over the course of the rest of the season. And, please, let's can the "you can't win every game" garbage. Why not!?

It wasn't a lack of talent that lost this game, it was a lack of effort. On each NJ goal, there was a player all alone in front of or off to the side of the net. 2-2 in the first four games of the homestand is extremely disappointing considering the opponents. Other thoughts...

-The fans were taken completely out of the game. The first period was a yawner and the Sabres first goal, was offset by NJ's a minute later and then followed up by two quick ones in the 2nd period.

-Kotalik and Vanek(except for his goal) were sleep walking through the entire game.

-I'm a broken record, but Peters sucks and is a complete waste of a roster spot. Thorburn, Novotny or any other forward in Rochester could contribute more. I will continue to harp on this each and every time he is dressed for a game.

-Brodeur is still money in the bank.

Enough said. The Sabres need to win the last two games of the homestand in order to get in the right frame of mind for the western swing.

And, please, let's can the "you can't win every game" garbage. Why not!?

I agree with this 100%. I have no problem if the Sabres go into a tough road venue and play a good game but lose, but I do have a problem when in front tof a packed house, you lose to a team that is clearly "middle of the pack" and the loss is because of a lack of effort.

The consensus after this game in the media at least is that the "kids" finally showed their true colors. That this team is some house of cards -- you pull out Chris Drury, and it all falls apart with too many "rookies" in the lineup. I'm not buying it. As PTS wrote, this was a very winnable game. It sounds to me as if the Sabres continued their bothersome trend of getting off to a slow start, then pouring it on from behind, and not scoring enough goals at even-strength. Add in an uncharacteristic defensive collapse over a seven or eight minute stretch, and you have another loss at home. This team is on the verge right now and doesn't need to start making excuses for losing. It's starting to look like a .500 team over the course of the rest of the season. And, please, let's can the "you can't win every game" garbage. Why not!?

Didn't they lose by one to the best goalie in hockey? Without their THREE top offensive players in the lineup?

All that and still they had a chance to tie with seconds left. This was a great game for the kids to have expierenced. They made mistakes and they will learn from them. This team will not win the Cup this year. But every game they play and have lost as well as the wins will go a long way towards the season they do.

Not every player on this roster will be there when the team is Cup ready. I'm just going to sitback enjoy the building of a very good team. The blocks are starting to put in place. Miller, Vanek, Gaustad, Drury, Briere, Tallinder, Kalinin when he is healthy and others. I'm excited about the years to come with players like Marek Zagrapan on the way.

This team will make the playoffs this year and I am satisfied. One step at a time.

Peace ;)

Archived