Gameday Thread - Sabres @ Panthers 12/7

Chilly

Oh come now. Harsh words. Let's face it, the Sabres are on their way down. I'm giving up now, then I can concentrate on a good winter, skiing, skating, etc.

I think we'll lose to Ottawa in the 2nd round. Ouch. But, that's what it is to be a Sabre fan. Those lovable losers will never get it done. Fire away.

Who do we lose to next? Montreal? Ouch again. Huet is unbeatable.

EDIT: As to your last year was last year, this year is this year comment, I would like to note that over the last 2 years the Sabres have played 3 games in South Florida. They have looked terrible in every single one. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Am I then safe to assume you have written off the upcoming game @ NJ! We haven't won in their building in years I think. Yes the Sabres have a habit of losing to the teams that they shouldn't! Poor preparation on their part. Not exactly the makings of a Cup calibre team

Still doesn't change the fact that the loss last night was probably the biggest team effort I ever saw, and had nothing to do with Peters, other than the fact that he dressed.

I'm not a Peters fan, just pointing out that dressing Paille IMHO wouldn't have meant jack, unless he'd beaten the crap out of everyone in the locker room during the first intermission, and threatened to do it again unless everyone got their in gear for the second.

I like Paille, but a one-man army he is not.

At the risk of repeating myself, dressing Paille puts a more skilled player in the lineup and would have allowed for the 4th line to skate a regular shift. I did not say that Paille is the next coming of Gretzky. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a couple of games where Paille skated on the 4th line with Gaustand & Mair, were some of the best efforts from the 4th line this year.

At the risk of repeating myself, dressing Paille puts a more skilled player in the lineup and would have allowed for the 4th line to skate a regular shift. I did not say that Paille is the next coming of Gretzky. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a couple of games where Paille skated on the 4th line with Gaustand & Mair, were some of the best efforts from the 4th line this year.

I fully understand this and I agree.

I also realise you didn't say Paille was some sort of saviour, I was merely trying to make a point - That last night was a team "effort".

That said, I'd rather see Paille have a go at Kotalik's spot for a game or two. Not sure if he can play RW, but I doubt he can do much worse than Al right now.

Am I then safe to assume you have written off the upcoming game @ NJ! We haven't won in their building in years I think. Yes the Sabres have a habit of losing to the teams that they shouldn't! Poor preparation on their part. Not exactly the makings of a Cup calibre team

NJ doesn't have the distractions that South Florida does... Also, if you look at the 2nd loss in NJ last year, the Sabres were playing their second game in 2 nights, Briere was suspended and Marty started. Marty did not give his best performance of the year giving up a questionable goal about a minute into the game. Not a good start to a team that is happy to sit on a one goal lead.

You're right the Sabres lose to teams that they shouldn't sometimes. However, once again it's an 82 game season. Looking at the standings, if the season ended today, of the 16 "playoff" teams:

1. Buffalo: Lost to Florida and Washington.

2. Atlanta: Lost to Tampa in a shootout, Lost to Philly in OT, Lost to Tampa, and got shelled by Tampa.

3. NJ: Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to LA.

4. Montreal: Lost to Chicago, Lost to Florida, Lost to Philly.

5. Carolina: Lost to Washington, Lost to Florida, Lost to Tampa.

6. Rangers: Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Florida, Lost to LA, Lost to Washington, Lost to Pittsburgh.

7. Islanders: Lost to Phoenix, Lost to LA, Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Tampa, Lost to Tampa in OT, Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Philly.

8. Ottawa: Lost to Colorado, Lost to Washington in OT, Lost to Tampa, Lost to Washington.

1. Anaheim: Lost to the Islanders in OT, Lost to Philly, Lost to Chicago in OT, Lost to Colorado in OT, Lost to LA.

2. Nashville: Lost to Chicago, Lost to Chicago, Lost to Vancouver in OT, Lost to Chicago in OT, Lost to Phoenix.

3. Edmonton: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to St. Louis, Lost to Colorado, Lost to Columbus.

4. San Jose: Lost to LA, Lost to Colorado.

5. Dallas: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Chicago, Lost to Washington.

6. Detroit: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Vancouver in OT, Lost to St. Louis in OT.

7. Minnesota: Lost to Colorado, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to Colorado in OT, Lost to Columbus.

8. Calgary: Lost to Washington, Lost to Columbus in OT, Lost to LA.

Those are just some examples of beatable teams that these teams lost to. So either there are no cup caliber teams this year...or every team gets beat by a lessor team sometimes.

That said, I'd rather see Paille have a go at Kotalik's spot for a game or two. Not sure if he can play RW, but I doubt he can do much worse than Al right now.

Yeah, and that makes sense. Let's bench the guy making $2 million who has 6 goals and a nasty shot, and who scored 25 goals last season, so we can play a guy who still needs development Paille with Drury so that a dude can go out and play like 3 minutes a game and have no impact and MAYBE get into a fight once in a while. Brilliant idea. IDK why Lindy Ruff hasn't thought of that yet??? :rolleyes:

NJ doesn't have the distractions that South Florida does... Also, if you look at the 2nd loss in NJ last year, the Sabres were playing their second game in 2 nights, Briere was suspended and Marty started. Marty did not give his best performance of the year giving up a questionable goal about a minute into the game. Not a good start to a team that is happy to sit on a one goal lead.

You're right the Sabres lose to teams that they shouldn't sometimes. However, once again it's an 82 game season. Looking at the standings, if the season ended today, of the 16 "playoff" teams:

1. Buffalo: Lost to Florida and Washington.

2. Atlanta: Lost to Tampa in a shootout, Lost to Philly in OT, Lost to Tampa, and got shelled by Tampa.

3. NJ: Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to LA.

4. Montreal: Lost to Chicago, Lost to Florida, Lost to Philly.

5. Carolina: Lost to Washington, Lost to Florida, Lost to Tampa.

6. Rangers: Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Florida, Lost to LA, Lost to Washington, Lost to Pittsburgh.

7. Islanders: Lost to Phoenix, Lost to LA, Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Tampa, Lost to Tampa in OT, Lost to Pittsburgh, Lost to Philly.

8. Ottawa: Lost to Colorado, Lost to Washington in OT, Lost to Tampa, Lost to Washington.

1. Anaheim: Lost to the Islanders in OT, Lost to Philly, Lost to Chicago in OT, Lost to Colorado in OT, Lost to LA.

2. Nashville: Lost to Chicago, Lost to Chicago, Lost to Vancouver in OT, Lost to Chicago in OT, Lost to Phoenix.

3. Edmonton: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to St. Louis, Lost to Colorado, Lost to Columbus.

4. San Jose: Lost to LA, Lost to Colorado.

5. Dallas: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Chicago, Lost to Washington.

6. Detroit: Lost to Vancouver, Lost to Vancouver in OT, Lost to St. Louis in OT.

7. Minnesota: Lost to Colorado, Lost to Phoenix, Lost to Colorado in OT, Lost to Columbus.

8. Calgary: Lost to Washington, Lost to Columbus in OT, Lost to LA.

Those are just some examples of beatable teams that these teams lost to. So either there are no cup caliber teams this year...or every team gets beat by a lessor team sometimes.

Great research man. Thanks.

Yeah, and that makes sense. Let's bench the guy making $2 million who has 6 goals and a nasty shot, and who scored 25 goals last season, so we can play a guy who still needs development Paille with Drury so that a dude can go out and play like 3 minutes a game and have no impact and MAYBE get into a fight once in a while. Brilliant idea. IDK why Lindy Ruff hasn't thought of that yet??? :rolleyes:

Great research man. Thanks.

The man is playing like crap, and you'd rather play him cause he makes two million. Sharp.

While we're at it, shouldn't we play Marty some more? I mean, he makes two milion as well.

I never mentioned actually playing Peters instead of Kotalik in any of my posts, so why you're bringing him into it, I have no idea.

oh oh oh oh oh

guess the Spurs won tonight. Wish the Sabres had that winning spirit.

Spurs win when it counts. Who do you Buffalo guys cheer for anyways? Not the Raptors , I hope.

If Tim Duncan came to give a speech to the Sabres on what it takes to win, I'd feel they have a chance.

I don't want to be Mr.Negative, so I'll say, Ryan Miller is truly the real deal. man, I was not on his side from day one. BUt he seems to be the real deal.