Doug Weight in Buffalo?

topshelfcookies

Scot Burnside has an article in which he discusses several different players reportedly being offered as trade bait.

The article mentions Darcy's dilemma regarding the goalies, but doesn't really shed any new light on it. The only forward or defensemen to be mentioned along with Buffalo is Weight, though you certainly could see some other players mentioned fitting in with the Sabres.

Here's the link.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/stor...cott&id=2280413

Weight for Biron and Novotny? Just throwing it out there.

I don't like that trade, Weight for Biron straight up maybe. Novotny has too much upside to include in a deal for an aging scorer. Only way I see a bright young prospect like Novotny going in a package deal is for a top 3 defenseman.

I don't like that trade, Weight for Biron straight up maybe. Novotny has too much upside to include in a deal for an aging scorer. Only way I see a bright young prospect like Novotny going in a package deal is for a top 3 defenseman.

Novotny isn't that young, he is 25 or 26 and hasn't really done that much with his career.

Is Weight in his final year? At $5.7 a year? I don't see him fitting in on this team long term. I wouldn't trade Marty for a rent-a-player.

Right on. No way should a starting goalie go for a guy who won't be here in July.

Besides, Saint Louis will look to dump salary & will probably let Weight go for just a prospect in February or March.

Novotny isn't that young, he is 25 or 26 and hasn't really done that much with his career.

Well, being a Amerk follower, I can elaborate a little. He is 22, big (6'2"-6'4" depending on who yuo are asking) but fragile mentally. He was forced to play this year due to injuries and call ups and has had limited success. I wouldn't give up on him, but I think this year is make or break for him. He did get called up so he couldn't be doing that bad in their eyes.

His stock is as high as it's ever been, so if a team wants him as a part of a goalie package, I'd throw him in.

Novotny

Guest southern sabre

I'm way down here and I don't get to see the team play every night, but I'm extrememly

excited about the play of two of our young(er) sabres who seem to really be a source of

controversy and possible trade bait with everyone on this board. Seems that half of you

would love to see one of them gone, and half of you would like to see the other gone.

I'm speaking, of course, of Max and Tim.

Besides being exciting to watch (putting butts in the seats), being leaders in scoring on the team (their points increase over past years is very significant), and furthermore being consistent all

year long with virtually no scoring droughts, why the hate. Sure Max takes penalties (this happens when you get aggressive), but he earns penalties, too, and makes people look silly up and down the rink on our own power plays. His goal scoring is up and his assists total shows he's learning what he is capable of doing to the other team with his skating and skill (and remember, he's played five less games than most of his teammates). As for Tim, we've not been impressed with him for years (me included), but he's only leading the team in scoring. They may have both been late bloomers, but these guys are finally getting it, finally discovering themselves in the NHL, and they're still young. They have a lot left in the tank. Honestly, where are we this year without them?

Comments???

I'm way down here and I don't get to see the team play every night, but I'm extrememly

excited about the play of two of our young(er) sabres who seem to really be a source of

controversy and possible trade bait with everyone on this board. Seems that half of you

would love to see one of them gone, and half of you would like to see the other gone.

I'm speaking, of course, of Max and Tim.

Besides being exciting to watch (putting butts in the seats), being leaders in scoring on the team (their points increase over past years is very significant), and furthermore being consistent all

year long with virtually no scoring droughts, why the hate. Sure Max takes penalties (this happens when you get aggressive), but he earns penalties, too, and makes people look silly up and down the rink on our own power plays. His goal scoring is up and his assists total shows he's learning what he is capable of doing to the other team with his skating and skill (and remember, he's played five less games than most of his teammates). As for Tim, we've not been impressed with him for years (me included), but he's only leading the team in scoring. They may have both been late bloomers, but these guys are finally getting it, finally discovering themselves in the NHL, and they're still young. They have a lot left in the tank. Honestly, where are we this year without them?

Comments???

I personally hope that Max isn't traded, but expect to see him gone before the end of the season. He takes VERY foolish penalties, and had we had legitimate refs instead of Koharshi and McCauley he would have had at least 2 more slashing penalties last night. He's got 44 minutes, which is ~2 diving calls and 20 hooking / slashing calls. The guy is WAY too fast to take those sorts of penalties, especially because most of them are deep in the other team's zone. I also expect that other GM's and coaches around the league think (mistakenly) that they can get him to stop taking penalties.

The refs were consistant last night from start to finish, but both let a lot of stuff that was illegal go. Max seems to thrive in that environment as he CANNOT keep from slashing at the player taking the puck up against him.

As for Timmy, in the new NHL he has thrived, and IMHO, if you don't give team MVP to a goalie, he has to be on the short list of 3 (at most) skaters that deserve it .

PS If you can afford it, shell out for Center Ice, it is the best value in all of TV. You will not only be able to see all of the Sabres games, you will be able to see everybody else. This includes teams that play very entertaining games such as Ottawa, Nashville, Vancouver, and LA. They will probably offer it at a discount in the near future, my recommendation is buy it; you will not be disappointed.

Archived