Gameday Thread - Sabres @ Lightning 12/5

Two or less

No, no, no! When I wrote that I was referring to the fans at the game who I could hear chanting LETS GO SABRES as they Sabres were slumping.

Nice to have that kind of support when you're on the road.

oh, i understand totally now. sorry bout that! yeah, i love the chants to fire up the guys. lots of them saturday night too.

Couple of things...

Glad to hear that there was hats on the ice for the Capt.

Toronto is losing 4 to 2 to ATL with 4 and some change left in the third.

It's awesome to hear Sabe fans in Tampa way to go Sabre Nation!

Great bounce back game.

My three stars:

1. Briere - the hat trick

2. Miller - good game between the pipes and didnt get rattled after that early goal

3. Peters - Just like the Detroit game, he fights early and it seems to spark the team. I know he is useless at times but he has his moments

Also, it was good to hear the rousing applause at the end of the game.

the sabres didn't really play in the 2rd, but i'm very impressed that they closed out the lightning in the 3rd. not only did they not allow a goal, but they got briere his hat trick. Great way to leave washington as a distant memory. The sabres looked faster and hungrier tonight. Lydman, Roy, and Hecht have their legs again. greag great game

Good job. Hecht and Briere both have had strong games tonight.

I think Patsch had a nice bounce back game too. He played solid

Thank you Sabres for playing a solid game tonight...

Nice Job Miller for some great saves.

My three stars

Danny

Miller

Drury

Miller is such a great goalie. Gotta love him! I'm sure hopelesslyobvious is happy with only one goal allowed tonight

What has impressed me about this team is the effort after a loss. Their longest losing streak this year is 1 game.

I can honestly see them getting on a mini-roll now. Games against Panthers, Canadiens, Devils, and Panthers are all games they should win. Then home to Ottawa.

Ottawa is really coming on now.

Nice to see the team back together. The Amerks kids definitely were able fill-ins.

AND BEST OF ALL.... A GAME WITHOUT ANY INJURIES....

I think Patsch had a nice bounce back game too. He played solid

Miller is such a great goalie. Gotta love him! I'm sure hopelesslyobvious is happy with only one goal allowed tonight

I didn't really like the goal but he made some big stops to make up for it. So overall I'm happy. Although a shutout would have done wonders for my fantasy team.

Danny

Miller

Kalinin

Kalinin played strong today. Very impressed by his performance.

I can't argue with the Briere and Miller picks, but I can't give Kalinin the nod for his game tonight. Not only did he have the original giveaway that led to the Lightning's only goal, he had another giveaway in the 3rd that Miller stopped; and he seemed to struggle all night in the 1-on-1 battles and with moving the puck. Not one of his better games, IMO. Then again, Spacek had a couple of misplays with the puck, and even Campbell had a couple minor flubs and turnovers.

I didn't really like the goal but he made some big stops to make up for it.
I don't think there was any way he could have stopped it. The turnover happened directly behind him - in a blind spot - so unless he had been slow following the puck originally, I can't see how he could do anything different. I'm sure he was also counting on Spacek & Hecht taking better care of the puck back there than they actually did.

I can't argue with the Briere and Miller picks, but I can't give Kalinin the nod for his game tonight. Not only did he have the original giveaway that led to the Lightning's only goal, he had another giveaway in the 3rd that Miller stopped; and he seemed to struggle all night in the 1-on-1 battles and with moving the puck. Not one of his better games, IMO. Then again, Spacek had a couple of misplays with the puck, and even Campbell had a couple minor flubs and turnovers.

I don't think there was any way he could have stopped it. The turnover happened directly behind him - in a blind spot - so unless he had been slow following the puck originally, I can't see how he could do anything different. I'm sure he was also counting on Spacek & Hecht taking better care of the puck back there than they actually did.

I thought he anticipated the play a little too quickly. But 99 times out of a 100 he would be right...

Who did we get for Cory Sarich? He is such a good dman, hate that we gave him up, but don't know who we got for him

Gratton.

Therefore, Sarich was traded for Briere. Happy now?

Are you kidding me? Did you see some of the boneheaded passes he made? He was brutal tonight.

Well, honestly the Lightning are one team that I absolutely have no worries about regardless of what is going on in the game, because they are a team that simply does not like working. No matter how hard Buffalo works, Tampa Bay never seems to figure out that is what keeps getting them beat against us over and over again. Against Tampa Bay I feel completely confident that we are going to win, and never feel nervoud if they score to make things close...not sure why, other than the aforementioned poor work ethic that seems to really show up when Buffalo gets a lead in the games...

Danny

Miller

Kalinin

Danny

Hecht

Miller for me.

I thought Kalinin had 3 pretty bad give aways. The first led to the first goal.

I really do like Tree, but man, he seems to be the the kid in the dance hall that

knows all the steps but doesn't have the rhythm .

Overall this was a solid, workmanlike road win. Not too sexy, but never in doubt.

I really liked the way the Sabres shut the door in the third and tightened up defensively. It was a lot more boring than we're used to seeing from this team, but I think it's great to see that this team can lock down when they need to. The wide open glitzy attack can serve us well in the regular season, and through stretches of the second season, but it's nice to know that if the Sabres have a 2 goal lead heading into the 3rd during the playoffs they understand the appropriate type of game to play.

I had to laugh at the crazy props that Briere gave to Peters in the post-game interview with Lorentz. Peters apparently suggested they alter the order of their pre-game warmups somehow, and then Briere praised him for sparking the team/calming the game down with his fight in the 1st period. I don't mean to turn this into an Andrew Peters thread, I just thought it was interesting to hear Briere speak so much about Peters on a night when his hat trick clinched the game for the team.

Whether you like Peters in the lineup or not, it was classy of Briere to go out of his way to praise his play. I think it's things like this that go a long ways to keep the team so close in the dressing room.

II had to laugh at the crazy props that Briere gave to Peters in the post-game interview with Lorentz. Peters apparently suggested they alter the order of their pre-game warmups somehow, and then Briere praised him for sparking the team/calming the game down with his fight in the 1st period. I don't mean to turn this into an Andrew Peters thread, I just thought it was interesting to hear Briere speak so much about Peters on a night when his hat trick clinched the game for the team.

Whether you like Peters in the lineup or not, it was classy of Briere to go out of his way to praise his play. I think it's things like this that go a long ways to keep the team so close in the dressing room.

Well I'm itching to talk abut the Peter's fight. I don't get why it happened when nor do I get why it was needed. I'm even more befuddled by the statement that it calmed them down. They were playing like crap before that, I'll allow, but really is the implication that they need their resident goon to go throttle someone to make them play better?

Danny

Hecht

Miller for me.

I thought Kalinin had 3 pretty bad give aways. The first led to the first goal.

I really do like Tree, but man, he seems to be the the kid in the dance hall that

knows all the steps but doesn't have the rhythm .

Overall this was a solid, workmanlike road win. Not too sexy, but never in doubt.

Jochen played really well....OTHER THAN the first-goal-turnover...

You really think it was better than Vanek's no look backhand?

Yep. Much harder pass to make as there were 3 Bolts that could have blocked the pass, he had to lift the pass to get it through, and he was getting pressured.

Heck, I can make a backhand pass (and maybe someday I'll get lucky and make one close to being as nice as Vanek's). But to make a BACKHANDED saucer pass w/ that much pressure, no friggin' way.