Gameday Thread - Sabres @ Lightning 12/5

Two or less

the entire lightning team is comprised of sabres... from retired greats, to coaches, to defensemen, to forwards. its all there

well, i'd have to say that the sabres have lost their grip on this game. unless we can get it back, it looks like this game might fall into the latest trend of giving up 2 goal 3rd period leads

After getting a two goal lead, why do the Sabres play so flat? They've been doing this a lot lately! I hope they can make it to the third w/ at least a 2 goal lead.

Buffalo gets a bench penalty. I wonder who said what to whom?

Lydman gets a penalty with 2:34 left in the period.

End of 2.. Some good chances by both.. But a quiet period for both..

Buffalo: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: Lightning: :death:

Wow listen to those Sabres fans!!!

so, we're only fans if we blindly cheer? the best fans can criticize their team. the sabres were very flat in the 2nd period and let the lightning gain some momentum. there were no goals scored, but this game is very much at hand going into the 3rd because of the uninspiring play of the sabres in the 2nd period. Keeping your intensity is not about skill, its about heart and grit. i know this team had all 3, its just time to let it roll in the 3rd!

the entire lightning team is comprised of sabres... from retired greats, to coaches, to defensemen, to forwards. its all there

well, i'd have to say that the sabres have lost their grip on this game. unless we can get it back, it looks like this game might fall into the latest trend of giving up 2 goal 3rd period leads

Who did we get for Cory Sarich? He is such a good dman, hate that we gave him up, but don't know who we got for him

It's almost as if the teams in the NHL feel a 2 goal lead will put the game away, so they start playing a "prevent" defense. It doesn't work in football and it most certainly will not work in hockey. The Sabres need to take it to them in the third period. 12 shots would be sweet. If the Sabres can score quick, that should put the icing on the cake. Then I would be content w/ a defensive style of play.

Who did we get for Cory Sarich? He is such a good dman, hate that we gave him up, but don't know who we got for him

3/9/00---Cory Sarich, Wayne Primeau, Brian Holzinger to tampa for Chris Gratton

gratton turned into danny briere, and a comical memory for all sabres fans.

nuff said!

With the possibility of the salary cap increasing, do you guys think the Sabres have a legitimate chance of keeping both Briere and Drury? They both have their own styles of play. I really can't say which one I'd rather have. Both of them are red hot right now!

This may be an unpopular opinion on this board, but there are only two guys on this team we MUST keep and they are Briere and Drury. Vanek, Max, Roy, Hecht, Mair, Gaustad are all good players but can be replaced. You build around the captains and Miller.

"This may be an unpopular opinion on this board, but there are only two guys on this team we MUST keep and they are Briere and Drury. Vanek, Max, Roy, Hecht, Mair, Gaustad are all good players but can be replaced. You build around the captains and Miller."

Umm....I some what understand what you are saying, but depth is a major reason the Sabres are one of the best teams in the NHL. Tampa has a couple of great players, but no depth. That is why they are not playing that great.

This may be an unpopular opinion on this board, but there are only two guys on this team we MUST keep and they are Briere and Drury. Vanek, Max, Roy, Hecht, Mair, Gaustad are all good players but can be replaced. You build around the captains and Miller.

I think Vanek should under no circumstances go on the trading block, for at least two more years. Even if he only scores 2 goals next season :blink:

I'd hate to part with any of the others, but if we must, we must.

"This may be an unpopular opinion on this board, but there are only two guys on this team we MUST keep and they are Briere and Drury. Vanek, Max, Roy, Hecht, Mair, Gaustad are all good players but can be replaced. You build around the captains and Miller."

Umm....I some what understand what you are saying, but depth is a major reason the Sabres are one of the best teams in the NHL. Tampa has a couple of great players, but no depth. That is why they are not playing that great.

Exactly. Our depth is why we are good. If you move 1 or 2 of these guys, the team could play very poorly. This team is built around chemistry, teamwork, and hardwork.

so, we're only fans if we blindly cheer? the best fans can criticize their team. the sabres were very flat in the 2nd period and let the lightning gain some momentum. there were no goals scored, but this game is very much at hand going into the 3rd because of the uninspiring play of the sabres in the 2nd period. Keeping your intensity is not about skill, its about heart and grit. i know this team had all 3, its just time to let it roll in the 3rd!

No, no, no! When I wrote that I was referring to the fans at the game who I could hear chanting LETS GO SABRES as they Sabres were slumping.

Nice to have that kind of support when you're on the road.

This one will be an old fashioned butt whooping. Miller will be PISSED.. So will the rest of the team. I ususally don't predict shutouts, but the lightning are walking into a saw on this one... 6-0 buffalo. Briere with a hat trick

Sorry about the gameday thread. My job has been kicking my butt, so rather than spend 20 minutes on here at 6am, i slept! I'll be back on track soon enough though.

shameless self promotion!!

its also always nice to see refs clearing hats on visiting rinks!