With the halfway point reached...

Knightrider

I just didn't think they'd be this good. I thought they'd be in the 7-9th range, but this has been so much more enjoyable!

I'm starting to think the year off was the best thing that could have happened to the Sabres. Lindy got a chance to see a lot of these guys develop in Rochester, and seems to be getting so much more from his younger guys.

Overall, the NHL just seems more entertaining. Last night's game in the third would have been an absolute yawner once it became 3-1, 2 years ago. The Sabres (or any other team with a 2 goal lead) would have gone into a shell and killed the clock. But last night wasn't two years ago, and most of the period was spent in the TB end. That TB even had an opportunity for that breakaway says a lot about the team's attitude. They're going to play the third period like they're down one goal regardless of the score...

I'm pretty OK with that.

I just didn't think they'd be this good. I thought they'd be in the 7-9th range, but this has been so much more enjoyable!

I'm starting to think the year off was the best thing that could have happened to the Sabres. Lindy got a chance to see a lot of these guys develop in Rochester, and seems to be getting so much more from his younger guys.

Overall, the NHL just seems more entertaining. Last night's game in the third would have been an absolute yawner once it became 3-1, 2 years ago. The Sabres (or any other team with a 2 goal lead) would have gone into a shell and killed the clock. But last night wasn't two years ago, and most of the period was spent in the TB end. That TB even had an opportunity for that breakaway says a lot about the team's attitude. They're going to play the third period like they're down one goal regardless of the score...

I'm pretty OK with that.

The players have to go out and perform. But most of the credit should go to Ruff and Regier. I am not a huge fan of either. Ruff has a system in place that works and Regier has gotten Ruff the players to play that system.

That said.

The second half of the schedule is much tougher then the first. It will get even tougher once teams like the Blues start dumping players and the other teams in the East get better. The worst mistake the Sabres could make is to be happy were they are and stand pat. With the Sens getting hit by injuries the East may be wide open.

Regier and the Sabres may have a tough decision ahead. Stay within the program or go for it all now?

If nothing else it will be interesting.

I will admit that I had always been critical of Ruff regarding the Powerplay. I frankly thought he had no clue on how to make it better. This season, the numbers don't lie, it has become an area of strength for them. I can only hope the rules are enforced such that they continue to get PP opportunities.

It's great that they've built a "cushion" such that if things start to go south in the second half, they're not already trying to play catch-up as we seen to this point in other seasons.

im not suprised. im prowd to say im a fan of the buffalo sabres. lets just replicate this throughout the rest of the season.

buffalo sabres - described as "hard working pluggers, no real stars" tampa bay tribune. not exact quote, pretty much there though. i like that. :D

I have been very happy with how the team has looked. I expected them to finish the year 7th or 8th. Here are my thoughts on a few different areas:

Goaltending: Miller has developed much faster than I expected. He still makes some rookie mistakes, but all in all he has been great. Biron was great filling in as well.

Special Teams: No complaints. Vast improvement over recent years. That combined with the fact that we don't take a lot of penalties is key to our success.

Rookies: Across the board I think our rookies have been amazing this year. Vanek was a little slow to start, but he's finally picking up.

Another good thing to mention is that while the team has suffered some setbacks in the injury department, someone has always been stepping up and filling in. Let's hope this continues.

I am still a little worried about our defense and 5 on 5 play, but those are both things that can be improved before the playoffs.

While we have a tough schedule in the second half, the fact that we're a young team could help out a lot. Everyone is busy after the Olympic break, and some older teams could struggle with the schedule.

They are playing way above my expectations!

"The Sabres reached the halfway point of their campaign third in the Eastern Conference standings and fourth in the league even though they have lost 113 man games to injury." "Drury's absence means Buffalo would skate without their top three returning scorers from 2003-04."

The spring schedule will be a lot tougher, but we have nothing to lose (no real expectations this year anyway), and have put ourselves in a position in the standings to withstand a few losses but still prepare for the playoffs.

The rooks and young players have really stepped up - which shows that are our farm system and drafting has been exceptional.

Couldnt be more please with their play! Go Sabes!

Archived