WGR 550 Streaming News

PTS

For you out of town Sabre fans who live by the Sabres Podcasts. WGR will resume streaming soon. I'll have a better timeline sometime in the coming weeks.

EDIT: Expect it by the beginning of April

About damn time.

I've been forced to listen to the Fan 590 online for my hockey fix and I bet you can guess what team they pull for.

Of course, WGR would rather talk about what Mike Mularkey though about eating for breakfast than the Sabres because they hate being positive about anything.

I'm amazed that despite the Sabres unexpected success and the fact that they are the "voice of the sabres", WGR continues to babble about the Bills, the majority of the time. To those who can't wait for the streaming...believe me, you will be disappointed.

I listen to WGR almost every day at work, and it does get discouraging how little they discuss the Sabres. Unless it's a game night, don't expect much Sabres coverage, other than a quick update from Paul Hamilton (beat reporter) maybe once a day or so.

WGR placed such an emphasis on getting national voices to be part of their football coverage (John Clayton, Peter King, Glenn Parker) I don't really understand why they haven't made any sort of effort to get some outside input on the NHL. There are plenty of NHL personalities out there...I'm not a huge fan of all these guys, but at least they could bring in a different perspective. How about McLean, Cherry, Melrose, Buccigross, Davidson or perhaps some other writers for ESPN/TSN.

PTS, will there be a Mike Schopp filter? You know, the guy who said the NFL fixed the game the Bills played at New Orleans so the Saints would win? Because it would be a great story for the league. And the guy who is so incredibly rude to his callers? That's so 1995. Just point me toward the "off" button, thanks, when this guy is talking. I tend to really like the rest of the personalities on GR, though. Howard Simon is the cream of the crop in Buffalo sports radio (that I've heard). The Bulldog is a good counterweight (no pun intended) to the condescending Schopp. And Brad Riter is really good on the Sabres broadcasts.

I used to really like Schopp when he was on 1280 in Rochester. Is he any different? Sounds like it.

Because of some rift between the Bills and WGR, Schopp constantly carries on about how the Bills are this terrible organization. He comes across like a whiny teenager who isn't getting his way. Grow up!

Expect streaming to come just in time for the final playoff push.

Buffalo is a two sports town. WGR talks a lot about the Bills but that will go away in the coming days and weeks. With the Bills in limbo for a few weeks, obviously WGR extended "Bills" seasons on-air for a bit. I'd definitely expect more of a Sabres focus sooner than later.

Plus, I listen to Brad Riter's show all the time and he is always talking Sabres when he's not stalking around this board. :P

Although I'm not a huge GR fan this is great news for the out of towners. I used to listen to GR online in 97 or so when the coach was there full time, lol. Once I got the Dish and WNSA came online I didn't care much for GR. Now that they are gone I'm looking forward to GRs return.

Because of some rift between the Bills and WGR, Schopp constantly carries on about how the Bills are this terrible organization. He comes across like a whiny teenager who isn't getting his way. Grow up!

While I did enjoy the Rochester version of his show, he comes across as a huge geek. WGR is paying the piper for having a bufoon like Coach blabbing negativity when all he really was doing was grinding his ax against the people who fired him. I imagine Schopp didn't have much choice but to paint himself into this corner otherwise he wouldn't be backing his station. Heck, he might not believe half the crap he spews.

I can't remember which Bills press conference it was but one reporter questioned Mularky's vagueness about injuries. These people really need to take a look around the league. Everybody is firmly esconscined in this obsurd practice. The Patriots are the kings. I think Tom Brady set an all time record going 3 full seasons as probable.

Bulldog - great guy, knows his Sabres...

Brad - great guy, knows his Sabres, should have his own day time show...

Schopp - whiny teenager, arrogant, whatever you want to add, etc...

Archived