GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

My quick thoughts on this one:

*Good to see Mair and Goose "take care of business" after Ovechkin smeared Danny from behind. I agree Kotalik should have been involved, but I am overall happy about the way the team responded to the hit...I also agree that the NHL should be giving Ovechkin a couple game vacation, but knowing the NHL's track record, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that suspension...

*Who had a worse night tonight - the refs, or Nathan Paetsch? Off the top of my head, I can think of three Paetsch misplays turning into Caps goals - he won't want to see the tape of this one. Good thing he is a rookie, it can be a valuable learning experience for him, though...OTOH, the refs were brutal in stretches tonight - missed some calls, and screwed up the "brawl" penalties, IMO.

*I know it is salary cap related, but why did we even take a chance of not having an extra defenseman with us? Seems awfully risky to me to keep extra forwards up and hope that none of our 6 "D' get hurt, especially given how our injuries tend to come in bunches....what a nightmare it would have been had we lost one of our 5 D-men tonight...

* Part of me is glad we weren't able to come back and win this one. Face it, our success in erasing leads, in playing partial games where we take shifts and periods off and still managing to come away with the win, has probably given them a sense of complacency no matter what the situation. I want the team to be confident that they can always come back, but they also need to know that the only way to ensure a "W" is to play 60 minutes of up-tempo, strong-effort hockey.

*Anyone notice the Pulte Homes sign on the boards? Looking at it online, it isn't as close at it seemed, but my initial thought was that either Pulte was sponsoring the Sabres next year, or getting a logo/trademark infringment lawsuit ready, based on how similar the Sabres' logo seemed to the Pulte homes logo...

*I know it is salary cap related, but why did we even take a chance of not having an extra defenseman with us? Seems awfully risky to me to keep extra forwards up and hope that none of our 6 "D' get hurt, especially given how our injuries tend to come in bunches....what a nightmare it would have been had we lost one of our 5 D-men tonight...

I thought they said before the game that Spacek just wasn't able to get his skate on comfortably tonight to play. They made it seem like Spacek was expecting to play all the way up until warmups, but couldnt' go tonite. If so, it would have been impossible for them to call up someone with so little time before the game. Also, if Spacek is only expected to miss the one game, perhaps they didn't feel like it was worth calling Funk back up, especially since he usually only plays 2-3 minutes per night anyways, and many times not even a full minute....

My quick thoughts on this one:

*Good to see Mair and Goose "take care of business" after Ovechkin smeared Danny from behind. I agree Kotalik should have been involved, but I am overall happy about the way the team responded to the hit...I also agree that the NHL should be giving Ovechkin a couple game vacation, but knowing the NHL's track record, I won't be holding my breath waiting for that suspension...

*Who had a worse night tonight - the refs, or Nathan Paetsch? Off the top of my head, I can think of three Paetsch misplays turning into Caps goals - he won't want to see the tape of this one. Good thing he is a rookie, it can be a valuable learning experience for him, though...OTOH, the refs were brutal in stretches tonight - missed some calls, and screwed up the "brawl" penalties, IMO.

* Part of me is glad we weren't able to come back and win this one. Face it, our success in erasing leads, in playing partial games where we take shifts and periods off and still managing to come away with the win, has probably given them a sense of complacency no matter what the situation. I want the team to be confident that they can always come back, but they also need to know that the only way to ensure a "W" is to play 60 minutes of up-tempo, strong-effort hockey.

*Anyone notice the Pulte Homes sign on the boards? Looking at it online, it isn't as close at it seemed, but my initial thought was that either Pulte was sponsoring the Sabres next year, or getting a logo/trademark infringment lawsuit ready, based on how similar the Sabres' logo seemed to the Pulte homes logo...

Good call on all of that. In retrospect, I think they might have been better of leaving Miller in. Miller has had a few games over the past couple of years where he had a bad first period and then shut the door for the rest of the night. Marty gave up 2 bad goals that were the difference tonight.

bad bad game by the sabres, but oh well. i'm not too concerned because the sabres just plain old sucked tonight. not much more to say about it. Glad to have run into dcsabres again though... the washington arena is top notch too... its pretty much the new style hsbc arena like hockey arena, but it was right next to the subway line, so we were out of there in a breeze. buffalo would be really smart to extend the line to the front door of the hsbc. horrible hockey game, but its all good. briere wasn't hurt, and roy is back... hope the nhl07 poster boy is suspended for a game or two because of that hit though. boy, i've seen some dirty hits and i've seen some DIRTY hits... that was a DIRTY hit.

I thought they said before the game that Spacek just wasn't able to get his skate on comfortably tonight to play. They made it seem like Spacek was expecting to play all the way up until warmups, but couldnt' go tonite. If so, it would have been impossible for them to call up someone with so little time before the game. Also, if Spacek is only expected to miss the one game, perhaps they didn't feel like it was worth calling Funk back up, especially since he usually only plays 2-3 minutes per night anyways, and many times not even a full minute....

matter, I hear all that, and I agree that it wouldn't have been feasible to get Funk or Card or someone up in time. My question is why let it get to that point? I don't know how many 25+ minute games Teppo has in him at age 38, and like I said, if we lose someone in-game, I'd rather not see us down to four defensemen... overall, I'd rather have a (gulp) Rory F-type player up with us at a minimal salary who can play when guys are banged up and can give guys like Teppo some nights off, rather than keeping Paile and/or Stafford up to play 7 and 9.5 minutes per game, respectively...

hope the nhl07 poster boy is suspended for a game or two because of that hit though. boy, i've seen some dirty hits and i've seen some DIRTY hits... that was a DIRTY hit.

How is this for a joke (from the AP game recap):

"Ovechkin drew an automatic $100 fine for the hit, which will be reviewed by the league office to determine if further action will be taken."

For those of you scoring at home, here is how that breaks down: player "A" does something in egregioius violation of the rules, which the on-ice officials feel is an attempt to injure. NHL says "Bad boy, you owe us $100.00, Mr. $1 million-per-year superstar..." I mean seriously, wouldn't that be like one of us doing the same thing in a bar league and getting fined a quarter?

matter, I hear all that, and I agree that it wouldn't have been feasible to get Funk or Card or someone up in time. My question is why let it get to that point? I don't know how many 25+ minute games Teppo has in him at age 38, and like I said, if we lose someone in-game, I'd rather not see us down to four defensemen... overall, I'd rather have a (gulp) Rory F-type player up with us at a minimal salary who can play when guys are banged up and can give guys like Teppo some nights off, rather than keeping Paile and/or Stafford up to play 7 and 9.5 minutes per game, respectively...

How is this for a joke (from the AP game recap):

"Ovechkin drew an automatic $100 fine for the hit, which will be reviewed by the league office to determine if further action will be taken."

For those of you scoring at home, here is how that breaks down: player "A" does something in egregioius violation of the rules, which the on-ice officials feel is an attempt to injure. NHL says "Bad boy, you owe us $100.00, Mr. $1 million-per-year superstar..." I mean seriously, wouldn't that be like one of us doing the same thing in a bar league and getting fined a quarter?

More like a penny.

yeah mother effer....listen to those fans!!

we did our job tonight...

This just pisses me off. What a cheap ass shot :censored:

Got a word from my bro that fights are breaking out in the stands, now i'm majorly pissed i didn't go.

didn't see any of that, but did see one sabres fan get tossed out being an idiot. caps fans in front and behind us were friendly enough.

we did our job tonight...

didn't see any of that, but did see one sabres fan get tossed out being an idiot. caps fans in front and behind us were friendly enough.

I'm guessing we were about 40% of the fans-- anyone else have a different figure? It wasn't so good thatsome Sabres Fans giving the scoreboard-cam "the bird" near the end of the game.

It was great to see that the guys working the cameras had to focus on one or two people, because every time they showed more people, someone had Sabre's garb on. :)

The caps fans were pleasant around me, except for a few that were upset that the "Let's Go Caps!" chant was drowned out by "Let's go Buffalo" and "Let's go Sabres" every time but one during the entire game.

Imagine if it was Adam Mair hitting Ovechkin or Crosby or Sundin like that...there'd be hell to pay in the league office.

Game thoughts...

-I thought Lindy should have left Miller in. At 3-0 in the first period, there was plenty of time to turn the ship around.

-Roy was the best Sabre on the ice. Good to see him back.

-I don't care how many games the Sabres are winning, I am sick of Kotalik! He is officially my whipping boy for the rest of the year(this means he will start playing well, just like Drury after I ripped him a couple of weeks ago) :doh: . At 3 years for 7 million dollars, he is a complete waste of salary. He may not go anywhere this year, but I hope Darcy sends him packing in the off-season. In hindsight, the money would have been better spent on Dumont and Kotalik snet packing instead.

-Classic Marty last night. DUMB play coming out to the blue line on one goal and letting a puck bounce in off his shoulder on another. Way to make the big saves when the team is trying to claw their way back into the game. <_<

-Max is unbelievable and can single handedly turn a game around. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

-What was up with the 5 for fighting, 10 minute misconduct & game misconduct for Mair & Gaustad? :angry:

I know that the Sabres aren't going to win every game, but it's all about how you lose the game. This one was UGLY!

GO SABRES!!!

Game thoughts...

-I thought Lindy should have left Miller in. At 3-0 in the first period, there was plenty of time to turn the ship around.

-Roy was the best Sabre on the ice. Good to see him back.

-I don't care how many games the Sabres are winning, I am sick of Kotalik! He is officially my whipping boy for the rest of the year(this means he will start playing well, just like Drury after I ripped him a couple of weeks ago) :doh: . At 3 years for 7 million dollars, he is a complete waste of salary. He may not go anywhere this year, but I hope Darcy sends him packing in the off-season. In hindsight, the money would have been better spent on Dumont and Kotalik snet packing instead.

-Classic Marty last night. DUMB play coming out to the blue line on one goal and letting a puck bounce in off his shoulder on another. Way to make the big saves when the team is trying to claw their way back into the game. <_<

-Max is unbelievable and can single handedly turn a game around. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

-What was up with the 5 for fighting, 10 minute misconduct & game misconduct for Mair & Gaustad? :angry:

I know that the Sabres aren't going to win every game, but it's all about how you lose the game. This one was UGLY!

GO SABRES!!!

I'm getting pretty fed up with Kotalik too, I'd rather have Peters skate the extra shifts at this point.

I'd like to see his big one-timer being flashed as trade bait, and perhaps bring in another blue-liner, cause we sure as hell need one.