Mogilny on waivers

Monkeygirl

Cool. If he did sign a 2 year contract @ $3.5MM/yr, NJ loses ~$1.2 MM of salary cap room next year as 1/3 of the contract will count against the cap IIRC.

I'm surprised they didn't have to punt Mogilny to activate Elias because I had their payroll with both guys on the roster at slightly over $40MM.

I'd take him to help out until JP/Danny get back, but I don't think he will make it to the Sabres' waiver spot.

I don't know. There's probably a lot better options out there.

Plus, seeing #89 would be weird in the black and red jerseys.

Maybe next season. :P

You know what I'm gonna change my mind. Looking at his stats and at the goals he scored this season via the NHL.com player. I think he can be a valuable asset as a rent-a-player.

I won't be against it, especially since he comes free.

Sabres at top of list of teams interested according to Eklund.

Holy 1991 Batman, Marv and Mogilny back the same day?

Yeah, and Eklund says Fuhr is on his way to start in Edmonton. No way is A.Mogilny gonna play for the swordsmen. It might not be a bad idea, but I just don't see this as a reality.

Has his play slipped that bad?! :blink:

Never say never. Mogilny should be playing on a team with skaters on it. Why he signed in NJ I'll never know. Why NJ signed him when they would have cap trouble is another question.

I think Mogilny coming home would be sweet. I think he'd give it his all and go out on top. He's 10 games away from 1000. Played number 1 in Buffalo, love to see him play 1000 in Buffalo.

He can still score. If it doesn't go the way they want it, they too can waive him! But if he fills in for Briere and Dumont, which I think he can, then he'll be a great pickup.

Plus I'm sure he's pissed about this whole ordeal. Nothing better than a motivated Mogilny!!

i don't think its so much that is play has slipped its the massive contract he's got... id take him in a sabres uniform in a second... we got loads of cap room and if he's motivated to join this team and make a difference then he could be a huge asset to us even as just a rent a player... i would have no problem paying him 3.5 next season... i mean we pay biron (soon to be backup) 2 million... so why not pay mogilny 3.5 to be a first liner or even 2nd... imagine him with vanek and afinogenov... that'd be nuts!

Sabres at top of list of teams interested according to Eklund.

Holy 1991 Batman, Marv and Mogilny back the same day?

lol yeah that's a credible source.

But seriously, who's better? Paille or Moginly? I don't think we'd sign him just til mid-Feb when Dumont returns, that seems like a waste of money, but you never know. If anyone else reported it, then maybe i'd put some stock into it, but since it's just Eklund, it means nothing.

I was somewhat hopeful we'd pick him up last August. I still like the idea of picking him up.

It would also give us little more flexibility trying to pry a blue liner from someone. Marty isn't going to get us one on his value alone...

Is he healthy? Productive enough at that price? Is he happy? I thought I read recently that Mogilny was bitching about the "new NHL" for some reason. Would he want to return to Buffalo? Why are we even having this discussion? It's not going to happen.

Is he healthy? Productive enough at that price? Is he happy? I thought I read recently that Mogilny was bitching about the "new NHL" for some reason. Would he want to return to Buffalo? Why are we even having this discussion? It's not going to happen.

Health is an issue as his hips aren't the best. He has been productive when healthy. I don't think he did or would bitch about the new NHL as the new NHL might give him a few more years of banking a couple cool million.

He's noted as a class act around the league and has matured tremendously from his Sabres days. I think he can help but at the price of 50% of $3.5 million, I'm not so sure the Sabres brass will do it.

As for coming to Buffalo, Alex loves the big city night life. I can see him landing in LA.

My cousin owned a Sports Card shop in Buffalo and had Mogilny in for card signings. He was a nice guy but he said back then he just wants to make millions and retire in Hawaii. He already has a cup so I'm pretty sure $$$ is his motivating factor.

hate to burst the bubble, but at no point in the article did it say that the sabres were interested in mogilny..rather, the leafs were interested...

No bubble burst here. Team chemistry is the Sabres biggest asset, I wouldn't risk it for a wing nut like Alex.

sorry dudes, but this is mogilny of today, not of 10 years ago. his lucky to acheive 60 games played, let alone points. his got injury problems and a contract thats bigger than some countries GDP. no way. also if we paid him the sabres might not make a profit, leading to a problem. respect his time here, but the dude is on his last legs. we dont really need anyone to fill offensive gaps as long as roy and pomiville keep being productive and Vanek's offense keeps increasing. certainly not mogilny.

Guest Guest_inkman
Does anyone know how long he needs to be on waivers before someone picks him up??? I don't want him on the sabres the guy always uses an illegal stick

Is that the only reason you don't want him on the Sabres? I could think of a few others...

Archived