Long homestands under Ruff

PASabreFan

Sometimes a long homestand can be tough for the home team, yielding disappointing results. You're in your comfort zone, you expect to win, you might have distractions at home, especially around the holidays. But under Lindy Ruff, the Sabres have done quite well.

April 1998 -- In Ruff's first year, the Sabres go 4-1, giving up only seven goals as they gear up for a playoff run that sees them beat Philly and Montreal and lose to Washington.

February 1999 -- The Sabres go 3-1-2 in their Stanley Cup finals season. The loss is to Toronto as Mats Sundin scores in overtime.

November-December 2000 -- In the Cup Hangover season, the one really disappointing home stretch in Ruff's tenure sees the Sabres win only two of seven home games in a stretch where they play seven of eight at home, the only "road" game up the QEW in Toronto.

January-February 2004 -- The Sabres finish 5-1-1 in seven home games out of eight, again the only road game in Toronto, as Buffalo starts to creep back into the playoff race.

But to me the most memorable homestand in recent memory came in Ted Nolan's last year. The Sabres went 4-2-1 in a seven-game homestand in January and February 1997 to solidify their hold on the Northeast Division, a division they would win despite a horrendous late-season slump. The Sabres clinched at Boston on April 10, one of only two wins in their final 11 games.

I feel like this team is one game away from a slump. Today's game is huge. Even though it's one game, I feel if they win today they'll do well but if they lose I think they might drop a couple.

I feel like this team is one game away from a slump. Today's game is huge. Even though it's one game, I feel if they win today they'll do well but if they lose I think they might drop a couple.

yea its been a along time since we've really lost a few in a row... however i think they can overcome this... i don't know what happened but something got into these guys and they have the desire and work ethic to win... i think that when they lose one and then can't come back the next night... it will kill there confidence. so far they've been able to do it though.

Archived