Briere out 2-3 months

Two or less

Notes:

Sabres co-captain Daniel Briere was diagnosed with a sports hernia on Friday, and will miss 2-3 months after he undergoes surgery early next week.

Link: http://www.msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp...bres&league=nhl

not a big suprise but i guess now we have an idea how long he'll be out for. Sorry if this was posted already.

The important thing is that Briere and Dumont(and even Pyatt) are ready to go come playoff time.

At that point you will have some younger players for playoff depth(Paille, Pominville & Roy) who have gained some valuable experience during the regualr season.

Again, even though it sounds absurd, the injuries to Dumont and Briere could end up as blessings in disguise.

Provided they come back 100% healthy, they'll be a lot fresher down the stretch than a lot of other teams top guys, this is definitely to The Sabres advantage.

What's really cool though, is how the team has dealt with having key personnel out for a porolonged period of time, thus their absence hasn't been felt drastically.

How hard is it, though, to come back from an abdominal injury that quickly? Like any sport, in hockey a lot of your power has to come from your midsection. Even in golf. After I did crunches and this thing called an Ab Dolly, I gained 20 yards on my drives. Any thoughts? On JP and Danny, not my golf game. :)

well, i can tell you it is not the most invasive surgery...i had two inch-long incisions right at the bone, and everything is done with a scope...but it does take a few months to bounce back from because of what they do to you.

each case is different, because the term "sports hernia" refers to the tearing of any muscle or tendon that crosses over or attaches to the pelvis. so it is a very generic term, and since the sabres did not specify which muscle(s) and/or tendons were affected, it is hard to say how well he'll do coming back. in my case, the fascia/tendon that held my rectis abdominis (ab) muscle was stretched and "frayed" from the bone. what dr. meyers (the best in the business- i am pissed the sabres are not using him) did for me was to cinch up the stretched-out fascia and stitch it back down to the sheath that surrounds the bone. the long recovery time is needed for the repair to "set," because it is basically tendon that they are sewing, and it heals pretty slowly. anyway, that is the first part of the surgery.

the other thing that happens with this injury is that your adductor(inner thigh/groin) muscles become over-tightened as they try to stablize your loosened pelvis. this causes the muscles to actually shorten. this hurts like hell. so the second part of the surgery is that they insert a scope and cut small slits in the sheath of the groin muscle(s) to "release" or lengthen it. in severe cases, the groin muscles shorten and tighten so much that they pull themselves right off the bone as well. this did not happen to me, because i caught mine after a reasonable time (3 months), i seriously doubt this happened to briere either. but it did happen to a friend of mine who limped around with this injury for TWO YEARS before he got properly diagnosed. these are the people who typically account for the 20%or so of all s.h. patient who do not make a full recovery.

but if i had to bet, i would say both j.p. and daniel will be fine. it just takes a long time to recover because it really freaking hurts. dr. meyers always say he has done over 1200 of these procedures and NEVER had a repaired tendon break loose. so i'd say the odds are good for our guys. the other thing in their favor is youth and strengh.

but again, it pisses me off that this should have been diagnosed a long time ago.

I hope they will come back fine, but in the meantime, it will be fun to watch Paille and Pominville develop with the Sabres. I'm curious to see who will sit, if/when they come back. Obviously, Paille will sit be sent down when Briere comes back but what about JP. I don't really see anyone on our roster, outside or Peters, who JP can contribute more than.

I hope they will come back fine, but in the meantime, it will be fun to watch Paille and Pominville develop with the Sabres. I'm curious to see who will sit, if/when they come back. Obviously, Paille will sit be sent down when Briere comes back but what about JP. I don't really see anyone on our roster, outside or Peters, who JP can contribute more than.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but Sabres will have alot of questions about lineups soon.

Isn't Pyatt due back at the end of Jan/early Feb?

Dumont should be back right after the olympic break and Briere early March.

Hmm..... Pyatt or Paille will be a tuff one, i know people still hate Pyatt but he has had like 3-4 really good games before getting hurt....

Archived