GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Education time please... How the heck does Vanek end up -1 when he scored two goals and they only scored two goals?

Buffalo Skaters

G A +/- SH PIM TOI

NUMMINEN 0 1 1 1 0 19:47

DRURY 1 0 2 3 0 16:01

HECHT 0 0 0 0 2 16:53

BRIERE 0 0 -1 1 0 18:13

AFINOGENOV 0 2 -1 2 2 14:55

MAIR 0 1 2 0 0 7:41

CAMPBELL 0 0 1 0 0 27:27

KALININ 0 1 0 0 0 21:05

SPACEK 1 0 2 2 4 23:31

KOTALIK 0 3 2 3 0 11:24

GAUSTAD 2 1 1 5 2 14:32

NOVOTNY 1 0 1 1 0 13:34

POMINVILLE 0 0 0 4 0 17:03

PAETSCH 0 1 1 1 2 15:27

PAILLE 0 2 2 1 2 14:28

VANEK 2 0 -1 4 0 14:20

STAFFORD 0 1 2 0 2 8:16

FUNK 0 1 1 1 0 9:23

Quiet nights for Campbell and Pomminstein... Barely heard their names called considering how many minutes they played.

He scored one even strength goal and one PP goal. Therefore, he must have been on the ice for both TB goals, hence a -1.

Okay this brings up a gap in my understanding of the scoring then. I thought a point was a point. Does this imply that PP (scored or scored upon) goals have no +/- value, and by corollary, only even strength goals count in +/-? Does that mean just 5-5 and 4-4 too?

Quiet nights for Campbell and Pomminstein... Barely heard their names called considering how many minutes they played.

Pommer i can see, but i felt Campbell was outstanding of defense last night. Maybe our best guy in our own zone.

One guy i thought was very quiet last night was Briere.

it may be time to shelf connolly for the year just to keep these guys up and to clear the space on the cap. i'm just hoping lydman comes back very soon to spell that issue. forward depth is an area that we're in zero trouble at the moment.

The only way Paille or Stafford can stay up for the year is if Connolly is not coming back this year or a trade is made that will free up cap dollars. I'm not sure in this salary cap scenario if Connolly could come back for just the playoffs though?

PS Good things happen when you put talented players on the 4th line(Paille) and send no talent hacks to the press box(Peters). :)

The only way Paille or Stafford can stay up for the year is if Connolly is not coming back this year or a trade is made that will free up cap dollars. I'm not sure in this salary cap scenario if Connolly could come back for just the playoffs though?

PS Good things happen when you put talented players on the 4th line(Paille) and send no talent hacks to the press box(Peters). :)

Yikes. I might have to admit that you and DeLuca were right about that one. Still, will you admit that it was good that we had Peters to fight McGrattan and thus didn't have to put Gaustad the goal-scoring machine or Mair (major concussion last year) at risk?

Still, will you admit that it was good that we had Peters to fight McGrattan...

In today's game, I wonder if anyone has to fight anyone. In particular, meaningless goon on goon stuff. If Peter's isn't there, McGratton probably isn't going to fight anyone. He might mot even dress. I love fighting but I really think Peters' presence in the lineup hurts the team significantly more than it helps. Gaustad, Mair and Paille all can score to varying degrees and the Sabres function much better as a team when they can continue to roll out line after line.

Yikes. I might have to admit that you and DeLuca were right about that one. Still, will you admit that it was good that we had Peters to fight McGrattan and thus didn't have to put Gaustad the goal-scoring machine or Mair (major concussion last year) at risk?

No, I won't concede that. If Peters was not dressed for that game, McGratton would have skated one or two inconsequential shifts and would have alternated between picking his ass and his nose the rest of the time. ;)

In today's game, I wonder if anyone has to fight anyone. In particular, meaningless goon on goon stuff. If Peter's isn't there, McGratton probably isn't going to fight anyone. He might mot even dress. I love fighting but I really think Peters' presence in the lineup hurts the team significantly more than it helps. Gaustad, Mair and Paille all can score to varying degrees and the Sabres function much better as a team when they can continue to roll out line after line.

You're right. I mean 7-2 game we saw with barly any violence at the end. And no cheap shots... and i've seen a few games on center ice where the score was out of control and still, teams just decided to just skate it off and go to the next game instead of leaving a mark on that perticular game. Hockey has changed, i like it, some don't, but reality is upon us. Peters is useless.

No, I won't concede that. If Peters was not dressed for that game, McGratton would have skated one or two inconsequential shifts and would have alternated between picking his ass and his nose the rest of the time. ;)

...[laughing out loud at my desk]...

very nice.