GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

My 3 stars:

1. Max -- is there any doubt that he's officially a legit NHL star? He gave us a huge lift tonight.

2. Marty -- I've been criticizing him quite a bit, but he played very well tonight (I still thought Crosby's 1st goal was a bit soft). His best game of the year IMHO. Anyone know if he changed the mask as a slump-breaking move?

3. Spacek -- solid as a rock. Great on the PK.

Other notes:

Good all-around team win on both ends. We went to sleep a bit in the 2nd period, but held it together on the PK and came out and carried the play in the 3rd.

Why didn't Fleury play? The pens had 3 days off between games.

Campbell -- another 30-minute night. He's the MVP of our defense! He also had another big hit on the blue line that was a bit reminiscent of the Umberger hit last year -- this one wasn't as crushing but he did knock down 2 guys.

Meanwhile, Card had less than one minute, which I assume means he only got one shift. Wasn't there some talk about Sekera coming up to replace Card? Clearly Lindy has zero confidence in Card. I am concerned about this pace, esp. with us starting a 4-games-in-6-nights stretch. Teppo and Spacek each had 24+ minutes and Kalinin was close to 20. Paetsch had 14 -- he seems OK, but definitely not on the level of the other 4. I really hope Lydman doesn't have some kind of funky spinal injury.

Good to see Drury and Kotalik light the lamp. I liked Stafford on that line (I might point out that I suggested this yesterday in another thread -- good work, Lindy). I think we'll see more of this until Roy returns.

Payback time tomorrow night.

My 3 stars:

Meanwhile, Card had less than one minute, which I assume means he only got one shift. Wasn't there some talk about Sekera coming up to replace Card? Clearly Lindy has zero confidence in Card. I am concerned about this pace, esp. with us starting a 4-games-in-6-nights stretch. Teppo and Spacek each had 24+ minutes and Kalinin was close to 20. Paetsch had 14 -- he seems OK, but definitely not on the level of the other 4. I really hope Lydman doesn't have some kind of funky spinal injury.

Minor gripe :

As long as he's up here, why not at least give him 7 minutes a night? We have the luxury right now of having a ton of points, so why not at least give him some experience, and maybe give Campbell 27 minutes instead of 30?

I have to say, I'm a bit worried with our 7-man deep D, and wearing the guys out early by effectively only playing 5 d-men this early in the season.

Biron :

Had a very strong game, and some very nice saves. Looked a little surprised on the first goal, but it's a 3-1 goal, and not a tying or winning goal. Not like Miller hasn't allowed a bundle of those too. He was solid, and gave his team a chance to win on a night where the offense "only" managed 3, not counting the ENG. That's all you can ask of him, and he delivered. Nice one.

Last night's game was the best game they have played in a very long time. It was the type of game that folks on this board have wanted to see. No doubt they didn't do everything right, but they:

1. played a respectable opponent and controlled the play for good chunks of time

2. played Defense throughout the game.

3. got good action out of three of their four lines

4. didn't take stupid penalties.

5. played man-up when Pitt turned it in to a good-game at times.

6. had decent goal tending with a few spectacular saves.

7. didn't let the lead slip away

8. didn't give up their four goals against average (of late)

9. got a couple goals for guys in a drought

10.avoided a losing streak.

Pitt came out motivated in the second and went into the 2nd intermission down by another two goals. Max's ability to skate must scare the hell out of opponents. And this year, he is cashing in. This will be a different team that faces Ottawa tonight.