Regier #87

Two or less

Darcy Regier was named the 87th "Person of Power and Influence" in the NHL by the Hockey News.

They said that Regier kept promicing that speed and skill will work in the new-NHL and not many took his word for it, but it has worked for the Sabres.

Glad Regier is recieving some credit, the man is a pure genius.

I am not going to take any credit away from Darcy but I have to wonder how many draft picks and trades were made thinking these type of players would excel with the new rules. The only ones I can say for sure were the ones after the canceled season, Lydman and Numminen. Darcy did not know they would actually start to enforce the rules before the new agreement was reached. Up until we saw the first game of this season, no one really knew that this would come to fruition.

Darcy Regier was named the 87th "Person of Power and Influence" in the NHL by the Hockey News.

They said that Regier kept promicing that speed and skill will work in the new-NHL and not many took his word for it, but it has worked for the Sabres.

Glad Regier is recieving some credit, the man is a pure genius.

You think that was something? I was #1,345,678 on People Magazine's most attractive list.

#87?

Who knew there were that many persons "Power and Influence" in the NHL. Is that 87 out of 88? 87 out of 80? :lol:

How many of the previous 86 were GM's?

Inkman... we are back to "The Plan." Are we seeing the results of a plan or just the result of the Sabres keeping their roster young and cheap in recent years, and for one season at least, that approach has worked, almost by accident? Certainly staying young and cheap did not work in the previous three seasons.

I will be impressed with "The Plan" if someone tells me how the plan leads us to a Stanley Cup. According to Larry Quinn, that is the goal in the next two seasons. Now, a goal and a plan are two different animals. My goal is to get buff in 06... I have no plan whatsoever to do it!

I am not going to take any credit away from Darcy but I have to wonder how many draft picks and trades were made thinking these type of players would excel with the new rules.  The only ones I can say for sure were the ones after the canceled season, Lydman and Numminen.  Darcy did not know they would actually start to enforce the rules before the new agreement was reached.  Up until we saw the first game of this season, no one really knew that this would come to fruition.

My guess is that he's been making moves in this direction since Golisano took over because a salary cap world was the only one that the Sabres would remain viable in.

In a salary cap world where player salaries are constrained there is no need to artificially lower scoring. There actually are incentives for management to increase scoring / entertainment value. Revenues will go up as fan interest goes up, but costs are set as a %age of revenues. (This wasn't the case under the old CBA, as increased scoring -> vastly increased player salaries due to arbitration.)

If the league is (was) going to try to increase scoring a quick hard working team would be one model that should be successful. It was in the '70's (Montreal) and the '80's (Edmonton) and appears to be today (Ottawa, Nashville, Buffalo). Those Montreal, Edmonton, and Ottawa teams were / are supremely talented but a huge portion of that talent is team speed and another large portion is goaltending.

Darcy has done well to this point. Let's see how he does in the inevitable goalie trade that will happen sometime in the next 90 days. As I have stated several times, I am witholding judgement on Darcy until after this next off-season. How well he does this off-season in re-signing key personnel that will be UFA's and tinkering with the fringes of the roster will be telling. That is when we will find out if the "Darcy haters" were right or if the apologists were.

Inkman... we are back to "The Plan." Are we seeing the results of a plan or just the result of the Sabres keeping their roster young and cheap in recent years, and for one season at least, that approach has worked, almost by accident? Certainly staying young and cheap did not work in the previous three seasons.

I will be impressed with "The Plan" if someone tells me how the plan leads us to a Stanley Cup. According to Larry Quinn, that is the goal in the next two seasons. Now, a goal and a plan are two different animals. My goal is to get buff in 06... I have no plan whatsoever to do it!

I really feel it has been more "lightining in a bottle", than an actual plan come to fruition. I'm no Darcy basher. I think he has made some great moves and I sided with him on the Peca debacle as well but I don't see the need to throw accolades at him for basically just working within the budget.

If he really started making decisions for this ultimate plan did it start back with Briere and Drury? I don't think so IMHO.

Guest Dwight Drane

That's funny! Although I am happy and excited the way the team is currently playing, you have to feel we lucked into it just a bit. We had to endure 3 years of undersized, soft, floating play from most of the team. I am still worried the whistles will get swallowed come playoff time, and that is bad news for our D. This new style of play is fun for a while, but I think hockey culture is built on tough, physical play. The new NHL is more like indoor soccer.

The new NHL is more like indoor soccer.

Yeah, but it's a whole lot more exciting now than it was two years ago. I was watching Toronto at Pittsburgh last night, and that game was super exciting. Last weekend, I watched Vancouver/Calgary - and that was one of the most exciting games I've seen in a long time.

I like what I'm seeing. From my team, and from the league as a whole.

That's funny! Although I am happy and excited the way the team is currently playing, you have to feel we lucked into it just a bit. We had to endure 3 years of undersized, soft, floating play from most of the team. I am still worried the whistles will get swallowed come playoff time, and that is bad news for our D. This new style of play is fun for a while, but I think hockey culture is built on tough, physical play. The new NHL is more like indoor soccer.

Your joking right?..........The league made the right changes and has made the league more speed and skill based and thusly a lot more exciting to watch............If you can't see this maybe you are watching the wrong sport........Watching the NHL right now is like catching a glimpse of the Oilers of the 80s and that is fun to do.......... :D

Three items to make note here...

1 - Yes the new rules played right into the hands of the Sabres roster, however, the Sabres had every chance in the world to sign a big name in and didn't.

2 - A good number of the Sabres players played together in Rochester last year, which helps with chemistry.

3 - People forget that in the 03-04 NHL season, Buffalo had one of the best records from December to April. They just couldn't make up ground on the hole they created from Oct - Dec.

3 - People forget that in the 03-04 NHL season, Buffalo had one of the best records from December to April. They just couldn't make up ground on the hole they created from Oct - Dec.

BUT WE ARE MISSING SATAN AND ZHITNIK! WE WILL SURELY FAIL!!!

This DeLuca flashback brought to you by Pwner.

Guest Dwight Drane
Your joking right?..........The league made the right changes and has made the league more speed and skill based and thusly a lot more exciting to watch............If you can't see this maybe you are watching the wrong sport........Watching the NHL right now is like catching a glimpse of the Oilers of the 80s and that is fun to do.......... :D

Arena Football is based mainly on speed and skill, and I have yet to be able to sit down and watch a game for more than 20 minutes. I'd much rather watch the NFL.

The Oilers were special because everyone was playing by the same rules, yet they were the only team to fly around like that. They also had guys on the team like Semanko and MacTavish who allowed the skilled guys to fly around. Messier and Anderson also had heart and grit to go along with talent. In the modern NHL, it is the enforcement of new rules that are leading to more goals.

The other day on a PP for NYI, I saw Mckee lay 3 straight crosschecks to the small of the back of an Islander in front of the net. I almost choked on my beer, because that is the first time I have seen that all year. I couldn't believe they didn't call it on the first shot, let alone the third.

This is better than trap and grab hockey, but the long term viability of the game needs more physical play to differentiate it from other sports.

Arena Football is based mainly on speed and skill, and I have yet to be able to sit down and watch a game for more than 20 minutes. I'd much rather watch the NFL.

The Oilers were special because everyone was playing by the same rules, yet they were the only team to fly around like that. They also had guys on the team like Semanko and MacTavish who allowed the skilled guys to fly around. Messier and Anderson also had heart and grit to go along with talent. In the modern NHL, it is the enforcement of new rules that are leading to more goals.

The other day on a PP for NYI, I saw Mckee lay 3 straight crosschecks to the small of the back of an Islander in front of the net. I almost choked on my beer, because that is the first time I have seen that all year. I couldn't believe they didn't call it on the first shot, let alone the third.

This is better than trap and grab hockey, but the long term viability of the game needs more physical play to differentiate it from other sports.

Hockey will always have its physical aspect to it, so don't worry about that, it was the clutching and grabbing that had to go big time................ B-)

Archived