Whats wrong with Miller tonight

RVJ

Good on Ruff for sticking with Miller after a shaky first period. It shows confidence in Miller and the team's ability to bounce back, which they've shown yet again.

Would anyone be kind enough to tell me who scored tonight?

Thank you!

Scoring Summary

1st Period

Buffalo 5:51, Ales Kotalik 17 (Brian Campbell, Tim Connolly)

NY Islanders 10:33, Jason Blake 16 (Mike York, Chris Campoli)

NY Islanders 12:03, Alexei Yashin 14 (Arron Asham)

NY Islanders 19:53, Miroslav Satan 16 (power play) (Chris Campoli, Alexei Yashin)

2nd Period

Buffalo 2:09, Maxim Afinogenov 8 (power play) (Thomas Vanek, Chris Drury)

3rd Period

Buffalo 9:25, Brian Campbell 7 (power play) (Chris Drury, Tim Connolly)

Buffalo 15:01, Thomas Vanek 10 (power play) (Ales Kotalik, Derek Roy)

Buffalo 15:12, Chris Drury 13 (Jochen Hecht)

Buffalo 19:43, Jochen Hecht 8 (empty net) (Maxim Afinogenov)

Good on Ruff for sticking with Miller after a shaky first period. It shows confidence in Miller and the team's ability to bounce back, which they've shown yet again.

I think the rest of the team bailed out Miller. He only had to save 10 non quality shots

after he let in the first three. But everyones going to have an off night once in a while.

Did you know Miller was named the defensive player of the week ?

Is he in la la land. Lets in at least two soft goals. He should be pulled.

Maybe his two starts last week earned him a little room for error. He isn't going to be perfect every night. Especially since he is still developing. It seems like a lot better of an idea to show him you have some faith in him then it does to yank him after giving up one or two soft goals.

The first goal was weak as Miller was caught halfway between staying up and going down. The second goal wasn't nearly as bad, but appeared to be stoppable. That being said, the Sabres really clamped down on defense and did not let the Isles get many good chances the remainder of the game.

If that was Marty in net last night and he gave up those two goals, people would be screaming

Maybe that's cause Marty has years of NHL experience that Miller doesn't have, thus you expect the kid to make mistakes, you wouldn't expect from an NHL veteran?

Or maybe it's just that people have seen Marty make those very mistakes, too many times?

Rest assured, if Miller turns out to play just like Marty over the next few years, I'll be screaming every time he allows a softie just like I would when Marty allows one, but the jury's still out on Miller. With Marty, what you see is what you get.

Also, Miller doesn't make 2.2MM a year. Biron has been playing above average, but he should be at this point in his career. I think that people are so quick to get on Biron's case because he lost us too many games in the two years before the playoffs. Am I the only one that remembers cringing on every shot that an opponent took against him during those years? I still don't like how he sometimes turns 360 degrees around in the crease when the puck goes behind the net.

Also, Miller doesn't make 2.2MM a year. Biron has been playing above average, but he should be at this point in his career. I think that people are so quick to get on Biron's case because he lost us too many games in the two years before the playoffs. Am I the only one that remembers cringing on every shot that an opponent took against him during those years? I still don't like how he sometimes turns 360 degrees around in the crease when the puck goes behind the net.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Try looking up Marty's numbers. Save some time and go to the Sabres All Time Records list.

4th in games played 246

5th in minutes 13,775

5th in wins 103

2nd in shutouts 17

2nd in gaa. 2.44

You're right. Marty has been a sive.

And what does " he lost us too many games in the two years before the playoffs. " mean?

:blink:

4th in games played 246

5th in minutes 13,775

5th in wins 103

2nd in shutouts 17

2nd in gaa. 2.44

And Marty did this in :

01-02) his first full year after the Sabres trade one of the best goalies ever and the heart and soul of the team in Peca, and replaced them with Kozlov...but it's Biron that can't get the Sabres to the playoffs...

02-03) a year that produced not only the worst defense the sabres have had but probably the worst season as far as the "team" in general...but it's Biron that can't get the Sabres to the playoffs...

03-04) once Ruff had no choice to stop the goalie mess because of injuries and the team was too far back to make it, Biron shines in the new year and plays the best hockey of his short career and gains confidence...but again, it's Biron that can't get the Sabres into the playoffs...

05-06) outside of the Ottawa disasters, Biron helped the Sabres with an incredible run that probably will solitify the Sabres making the playoffs...but this team would have done it with or without Biron...

Deluca, as usual, well said

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Try looking up Marty's numbers. Save some time and go to the Sabres All Time Records list.

4th in games played 246

5th in minutes 13,775

5th in wins 103

2nd in shutouts 17

2nd in gaa. 2.44

And what does " he lost us too many games in the two years before the playoffs. " mean?

:blink:

I will admit Marty has some pretty damn good numbers, but numbers don't tell the whole story. I have found him to have a history of coming up short in the clutch. I know that any examples will be anecdotal, and it means nothing, but it's my opinion. And anyone can pretty much say "He's great in the clutch," and there aren't really any stats to back it up.

Looking at the two side by side today, I think Miller has a slight edge over Biron, and judging by their ages, Miller is likely going to much better in the future. So I am willing to give him a little room for error.

I will admit Marty has some pretty damn good numbers, but numbers don't tell the whole story. I have found him to have a history of coming up short in the clutch. I know that any examples will be anecdotal, and it means nothing, but it's my opinion. And anyone can pretty much say "He's great in the clutch," and there aren't really any stats to back it up.

Looking at the two side by side today, I think Miller has a slight edge over Biron, and judging by their ages, Miller is likely going to much better in the future. So I am willing to give him a little room for error.

Why are so many not willing to give Marty the same benefit of the doubt they throw on Regier?

On the one hand people say Regier couldn't go out and get players because of the whole Rigas mess and the financial status of the team.

And on the hand? People complain about Marty not carrying this team when they admit they were lacking in talent in front of him? Since last mid season Marty is like 30-10(est.) as a starter. Put a team in front of him and he can win.

And on the hand? People complain about Marty not carrying this team when they admit they were lacking in talent in front of him? Since last mid season Marty is like 30-10(est.) as a starter. Put a team in front of him and he can win.

It's not that I want to get rid of Marty...I would love to keep him as the #2 to Miller in case Miller falters down the stretch. The problem is that our blueliners(specifically Campbell and Fitzpatrick) scare the crap out of me and I believe that if we don't make a move to improve this group, it will be our downfall come playoff time. As I've stated over and over again the cupboard is bare in terms of d-men down on the farm, so you better hope we can keep this group(McKee, Tallinder, Lydman, Numminen & Kalinin) injury free.

So how do we improve the blueline? Deal from strength, and goaltenders are by far the deepest position we have. So sometime after the 1st of the year, deal Biron, a pick(#1 if necessary and/or a prospect) for a quality blueliner.

All those numbers show is that Marty played a ton of games for the Sabres, which he did. The numbers also show he is only a .500 goalie, so let's not play it up like he is a superstar. What the numbers aren't going to show is how the team lost faith in him in previous years when he let up soft goals in bad situations.

Don't get me wrong, Biron has shown flashes of brilliance, which is why the team made him their #1 guy and started him for 69 games in the '01-'02 seasons. This season he looks the best he ever has, but I can't think of too many people that would seriously consider hampering the progress of Miller by waiting to see if Biron is for real this time.

I agree with LabattBlue below, we should trade Biron while his value is high for a solid blue-liner. Fitzpatrick still has a lot of developing to do. I think that packaging those two guys together right now could get us a much needed big and experienced defensemen that is a good skater. McKee and Numminem are great blue-liners, but they are not the fastest guys out there.

(I said playoffs in a previous post but I should have said lockout, I guess I have playoffs on the mind but who doesn't :D )

Archived