GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

7:00pm

wow, the sabres travel to carolina with a fraction of their starting defensive corps, a couple injured forwards, and a banged up goalie... where have we heard this before? (well, except for the goalie part). After last night's game, miller better sleep in the hyperbaric chamber tonight to heal his groin/abdomen (BTW, that was briere's sports hernia original diagnosis last year, not htat i'm scared or anything). However, lydman and miller did fly with the team, so maybe we'll see them both back tomorrow... At this rate, i'll take lydman first. Paetsch has come along nicely, but i'd rather let mike card learn the game in rochester instead of in buffalo. I believe that the sabres will play strong and hard for the whole game. They get a day off today to be inspired by the bills. Then tomorrow, its gametime. The Sabres will win it in regulation!!

"the Sabres will win it in regulation"

What an odd phrase to use - I'm not sure how that works!

as opposed to "the Sabres will win it in OT", "the sabres will win it in a shootout", "the sabres will lose it in regulation", "the sabres will lose it in a shootout".

Sabres are going to need five goals to win. They seem to like giving up four goals a lot. Sabres have played 10 games decided by a single goal. That's astonishing in its own right. Carolina is 5-1-1 in their last seven and seems to be getting their act together.

The only good news seems to be that they have lost all five times to teams they vanquished in last year's trophy run.

Amazing to think that this is already of third time against the Canes this year. The Sabres will be done with Carolina on 28 Dec until the playoffs.

From http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=311254:

Perhaps one of the most underrated players in NHL makes history today. Teppo Numminen will play today against Carolina his regular season game number 1252 and that is most regular season games played by an European player. Right now he is even with Jari Kurri (1251 regular season games). This is Teppo's 17th season in NHL and he is still in good form.

congrats to Teppo! Great player and a great rolemodel for young players!

I had no idea. Congrats, Teppo!

"Martin Biron is the likely starter in goal tonight because Ryan Miller still hasn't tested a nagging muscle strain in his midsection. Miller has missed the past two games and has not skated since last Thursday."

Hmm... Beginning to think there is a bit more to this story. We went from day-to-day to "nagging" to "still hasn't tested"....

7:00pm

wow, the sabres travel to carolina with a fraction of their starting defensive corps, a couple injured forwards, and a banged up goalie... where have we heard this before? (well, except for the goalie part). After last night's game, miller better sleep in the hyperbaric chamber tonight to heal his groin/abdomen (BTW, that was briere's sports hernia original diagnosis last year, not htat i'm scared or anything). However, lydman and miller did fly with the team, so maybe we'll see them both back tomorrow... At this rate, i'll take lydman first. Paetsch has come along nicely, but i'd rather let mike card learn the game in rochester instead of in buffalo. I believe that the sabres will play strong and hard for the whole game. They get a day off today to be inspired by the bills. Then tomorrow, its gametime. The Sabres will win it in regulation!!

I hope we finish the canes off hard and early be good to go into work with a larger smug ass grin

"Martin Biron is the likely starter in goal tonight because Ryan Miller still hasn't tested a nagging muscle strain in his midsection. Miller has missed the past two games and has not skated since last Thursday."

Hmm... Beginning to think there is a bit more to this story. We went from day-to-day to "nagging" to "still hasn't tested"....

Ruff never let's on. It's probably a ploy in any number of regards.

I have a feeling Carolina will win tonight, but if the Sabres can stop themselves from committing penalties the will have a fighting chance.

If The Sabres can play 60 minutes of hockey for once this season, I doubt Carolina will have much of a chance.

However, if they think 15-20 minutes are gonna cut it, they're in trouble. Hence I also think Carolina will take 2 points tonight.

I'm really glad that the Sabres are playing the Canes tonight, after a day off, even if it is their 3rd game in 4 nights. There were numerous times vs Philly that it looked like the guys just simply stopped skating.

Tonight should be an interesting game in that again, Buffalo is all banged up, and at the end of a tough stretch while Carolina is really playing pretty well.

I expect the Canes to play a very physical style of game tonight, I think alot of teams in the league feel that the "book" on Buffalo is, if you can't skate with 'em, bang 'em. The fact that we have a few rookies on the blue line tonight will only encourage the Canes to be more physical and try to establish a strong forecheck.

While there's not too much to complain about with this team, I'd personally like to see the Sabres play a bit better in their own end. There were times against Florida they they started running around a bit, and there were scrambly moments vs Philly.

Special teams decide the outcome of tonight's game. A Sabres comeback attempt in the 3rd falls a bit short, losing 4-2.