Sabres vs. Leafs Game

PTS

This was talked about a few years back. I'd love to see a Sabres vs. Leafs game at The Ralph. Whatever capacity you set for it, you would most definitely sell it out. In fact, you could probably sell the whole place out with the help of our friends up North.

Thoughts?

I think it would be great to go to a meaningful game at the Ralph during the winter season.

12/26 Post: Make sure everyone listens to the next Sabres Podcast. A little birdie told me they would talk about the idea of the Sabres playing at the Ralph. 

My only fear would be 60,000 Leafs fans vs. 10,000 Sabres fans. That would be embarassing. The Leafs could have a game at the Rogers Center (always the Skydome to me) but they would want Montreal as an opponent for an event game like that.

How much would the Sabres charge for such a game? There would be no seats that would compare to the lower bowl at HSBC. Could they sell out RWS charging $15-20 a head, and still get at least 35,000 Sabres fans?

It woud be a great event. Tailgating in the lot. The border bridges clogged with crazed canucks trying to get to the game. Good times.

PTR

i'd go... don't we play the leafs again in march though?? seems like this would have to be planned next year with regier and ron wolfe sitting down for some coffee to work out the details...

Id make the trek up from New Jersey to pull for the Sabres if this ever happened.

OMG What a great idea!!! We all need to get this idea to Tom Golisano somehow.

How great would it be??!!! Although I do worry about the Leafs fans outnumbering us big time.

I have heard of teams not allowing ticket sales online or over the phone to certain zip codes. I know that has happened once before for sure but I forget who did it.

Maybe allow them to buy after a certain time where Sabres fans have had plenty of time to snap them up??

I could see the biggest problem of an outdoor game at RWS is the weather. True, it was -10 or something ridiculous for that Edm./Calg. game. But cold is not the issue, snow would be. Could you play an NHL game is a snow squall, worse, rain? Also the wind is pretty brutal coming of the lake.

I think it's worth a try. Maybe some meteorologists can give some statistics as to when the best time would be to hold such a game? Also, how difficult is it to set up a temporary ice rink, and how warm can it be and have it still work?

PTR

it would be nice... but the Montreal and Edmonton game that was played outdoors was a huge PR nostalgic, vintage stunt that for the most part worked and was fun... it was all about canadian spirit... if the leafs were to do something like that it wouldn't be with the sabres... they'd want another canadian team like montreal or ottawa.

My only fear would be 60,000 Leafs fans vs. 10,000 Sabres fans. That would be embarassing. The Leafs could have a game at the Rogers Center (always the Skydome to me) but they would want Montreal as an opponent for an event game like that.

How much would the Sabres charge for such a game? There would be no seats that would compare to the lower bowl at HSBC. Could they sell out RWS charging $15-20 a head, and still get at least 35,000 Sabres fans?

It woud be a great event. Tailgating in the lot. The border bridges clogged with crazed canucks trying to get to the game. Good times.

PTR

i'd be 50-50.

The hype of the game would be so high that alot of buffalo fans would go just for the sake of being there, and alot of leafs fans would go of course, but it'd be 50-50 at worst case senerio.

optimisically.... yes... but remember we have trouble selling out a home opener with tonnes of hype... thats only 20,000 seats... never mind selling out a massive football stadium.

A spectical like that would sell itself out. Sabre fans from across the Northeast would drive up as mentioned by many out of towners posting in this thread.

Archived