Top 25 memorable Sabres games

PASabreFan

I happened upon this cool list of memorable Sabre games on Buffalo sports writer Budd Bailey's web site.

http://sabreshistory.homestead.com/Top25A.html

A good primer for the younger fans and even with an honorable mention list, plenty of opportunities for everyone to tell Budd about some great games he missed. Email him. Unlike many in the sports media, he will almost certainly write you back. What a nice guy.

It brings a tear to my eye reading that stuff and remembering those memories that I was able to witness myself in person or on TV.

This team has given so much joy and hope to the community throughout it's entire history. Even though we never won the big one, if you take away the last three seasons, we've been really spoiled in a way.

I'm glad things are back on track and I can't wait for the day we win Lord Stanley. They say we're a Bills town, but the Sabres embody Buffalo better. The Bills are like our trophy girlfriend. The Sabres, however, are like that girlfriend we can't live without even when we take a break from her.

I can't wait for the playoffs this year. This team is special and the fans in this city are ready to errupt!

PA, thanks for the link.

PTS, nice post.

I watched a lot of those games on TV and was at 4 of them (unfortunately, only 1 of the ones I went to worked out the way the Sabres had hoped).

Here are a few games that I did get to go to that I thought should have earned honorable mention at least.

12/21/75 Buffalo destroys Washington 14-2.

4/4/76 Danny Gare scores #'s 48, 49, & 50 while Rico remains stuck at 49. Sabres beat TO in regular season finale.

4/9/83 Buffalo sweeps Montreal in 1st round.

10/27/91 LalalalalaFontaine's 1st game as a Sabre. Sabres killed Hartford.

4/14/96 Sabres beat Hartford in last hockey game ever played in Aud.

5/29/99 Rob Ray scores game winner against TO.

4/21/01 Buffalo 8, Philly 0. Talk about running for the bus.

Good ones, dave.

Speaking of 14, the Sabres beat the Leafs 14-4 in March 1981. It was the first time I sat in the oranges, and I will never forget the chant of "...12, 13, 14... we want 15!"

A couple more:

The Sabres sweeping the Habs on Montreal's home ice in 1998.

Jason Woolley's OT goal in Dallas in the finals.

The Sabres beating the Blues in the last game of the season in 73 to sneak into the playoffs.

And, although not a Sabre game, both Rick Martin and Gil Perreault scoring in the NHL All Star game held at the Aud in 1978.

There are many more. Come on, people! :)

My personal favorite:

9-3 win over Boston, Game 6 in 92...

We left the Aud that night like we had just won the cup...

" Bobby Corkum makes it 9-3!!"...

I'd love to get a copy of this game on dvd...

I think Empire played it during the strike last year...

I don't remember which game it was. But how about the game where the guy fell out of the Orange Seats on to a women below? Anyone else remember when that happened?

Most of my personal higghlights are on the list. One that I attended and think deserves at least honorable mention is the April 1971 game against the Blues where Perreault broke the rookie goal scoring record.

Others: Rick Martin breaking Gil's rookie goal scoring record in 1971-72;

Rene Robert coming from the Pens for Eddie Shack and the French Connections first game together;

Feb. 1974 - the game at the Aud after Tim Horton died driving back from the game in Maple Leaf Gardens.

In the game where Schoenfeld and Cashman battled in the Zamboni entrance after crashing through the boards, he battled two other Bruins that night. I want to say they were Orr and Esposito, but I'm not sure because Esposito was never much of a fighter. Any one recall Schony's opponents that night?

I don't remember the year or the opponent, but two playoff OT goals stand out from recent times...

-Curtis Brown circling out from behind the net, into the slot and firing in the game winner.

-Jay McKee with what seemed like a harmless wrist shot, making it's way into the corner of the net.

In the game where Schoenfeld and Cashman battled in the Zamboni entrance after crashing through the boards, he battled two other Bruins that night.  I want to say they were Orr and Esposito, but I'm not sure because Esposito was never much of a fighter.  Any one recall Schony's opponents that night?

Found the answer on the website below...

Schoeny was as tough as they come, the fiery redhead solidified that reputation early in his career. On December 13, 1972 of his rookie season, Jim got into three fights in a game against the 'Big Bad' Boston Bruins. Jim tangled with Bobby Orr first, which of course would make him a marked man instantly. Carol Vadnais and Wayne Cashman, two of the more rugged Bruins, would go at it with Schoeny by the end of the game. The fight with Cashman was particularly memorable as the two crashed against the Zamboni entrance doors.

http://www.sabresalumni.com/2001/schoenfeld_jim.php

PS In this link is a heartfelt moment regarding Schony and the first game after Tim Horton was killed in the car accident. :(

Dave Hannan's goal in the fourth overtime of Game Six of the Sabres' first round playoff match-up against the New Jersey Devils. 1993-1994 season. I was a junior at Fredonia. The game started before I started partying and finished after I was done. It was the best. :)

Some games that I wasn't at that haven't been mentioned yet that also could warrant consideration for honorable mention.

4/7/74 Rico scoring #'s 50-52 in last game of regular season against the Blues.

4/22/75 Sabres dominate Chicago 3-1 to win their 1st ever playoff series. "The night Chicago died ..."

4/8&9/76 Ed Staniowski of the Blues standing on his head to force both games to OT when the Sabres were BY FAR the better team.

3/19/83 Sabres win in Montreal. Late in the game, brawl breaks out in Sabres end. Richard Sevigny skates all the way down to Barrasso's crease, jumps at Barrasso, Barrasso side steps him and throws him down in 1 motion and then continued to kick the stuffing out of Sevigny.

And a few that I was at that I forgot to mention in my previous post.

I don't remember dates, but any of the games at the Mmarena that Garth Snow fought Hasek, or Shields, or Trefilov, or Barnaby. Those were always entertaining. The time he fought Dom, Dom couldn't get his blocker off so he was hitting him with it on. (That's gotta hurt.)

12/23/92 Mogilny gets natural hat trick against the Caps. Fans that had won those stupid sombreros threw them onto the ice. When he came out as the 1st star, Mogilny was wearing one of the sobreros.

3/22/96 Back half of a physical home and home w/ Montreal, both teams send their "goons" out to start the game. 2 seconds into the game 4 fights have broken out.

It was mentioned in the linked list, but I was at the playoff game where Tucker scored 4 against the Bruins. My memory involves a little kid(6 or 7) who was sitting in front of me. After a few beers, I was really into the game and everytime I started yelling, he would cringe! :D

I don't know if this one was mentioned but here goes:

Buffalo 6 Montreal 5 at the Forum

The coach was Ted Sator so i think the year was 88-89? The Sabres came back with 3 or 4 in the 3rd, scoring the winner with under a minute to go...

Anyone remember that one?

Also the Sabres last game at the Forum was a wild one, 7-6 win in 95-96

Speaking of 14, the Sabres beat the Leafs 14-4 in March 1981. It was the first time I sat in the oranges, and I will never forget the chant of "...12, 13, 14... we want 15!"

That was my first-ever Sabre game. Buddies of mine took me to the game for my birthday. After the game, we closed the Locker Room.

I was going to Brockport at the time and buddies dropped me off on my girlfriend's steps around six in the morning. I still remember her waving her fist at them as they drove off! :lol:

In the game where Schoenfeld and Cashman battled in the Zamboni entrance after crashing through the boards, he battled two other Bruins that night. I want to say they were Orr and Esposito, but I'm not sure because Esposito was never much of a fighter. Any one recall Schony's opponents that night?

I was there and it is one of my most memorable games. It was not Espo. He fought Orr first, likely making him a marked man as far the the B's were concerned. Second was Carol Vadnais (although I will always remember him as a California Golden Seal), and finally he and Cashman went thru the boards.

Don't tell me you drank 14 shots in honor of the Sabres! :)

Love the handle. Do you have Schoeny's record?

Somewhere, in the deep dark recesses of my parents home is my copy of Schoeny's ALBUM! It is probably pretty close to the Tommy Calandra original 45 - "We're Gonna Win That Cup"

Archived