Game-Day Skate

BuffalOhio

When I was home for a week, I went to the game-day skate at 10AM at HSBC.

It was a weekday, not during a school holiday, so there were only about 10 fans there. Razor, Roby, Sylvester, Lorentz, and Paul Hamilton were there watching practice.

Got to watch all the drills they run, and every single player autographed his card for a friend of mine.

I got to talk to McKee about his shot blocking, about the plastic protectors he wears over his skates, and told him to keep it up.

I told Kotalik to NOT change his sticks (he was trying out a different model after practice).

Miller showed me his thumb (nasty scar) and told us just how the injury occurred. Said it was still sore, but he could play with it.

Briere said he was pretty sore still, and very frustrated.

Get this, while Briere was signing for a kid in front of us, the Zamboni driver pulled up by the bench, and said, "Hey Danny, could you move the nets for me?? Briere said sure, and skated across the ice, waited for the Zam to pass, moved the net, and did the same for the other net. This is a millionaire doing a favor for a city employee and not thinking twice about it. That's why we love hockey players. They're just regular guys with good values. Try asking Nate Clements to run across the field to move something for you. Won't happen.

I highly recommend going to the game day skate if you ever get a chance. It was a great experience, and well worth the time. It's free!

That was the game where Kotalik scored on the PP with about 3 minutes left, and then Afinogenov scored the winner in OT.

Under her seat, my friend found an invitation to the Biron's Christmas Party. Had the address (Clarence) and home phone number. She was going to give it to her son as a souvenir. I told her to show up and have fun, but she didn't go.

Great trip!

Merry Christmas all!

When I was home for a week, I went to the game-day skate at 10AM at HSBC.

It was a weekday, not during a school holiday, so there were only about 10 fans there. Razor, Roby, Sylvester, Lorentz, and Paul Hamilton were there watching practice.

Got to watch all the drills they run, and every single player autographed his card for a friend of mine.

I got to talk to McKee about his shot blocking, about the plastic protectors he wears over his skates, and told him to keep it up.

I told Kotalik to NOT change his sticks (he was trying out a different model after practice).

Miller showed me his thumb (nasty scar) and told us just how the injury occurred. Said it was still sore, but he could play with it.

Briere said he was pretty sore still, and very frustrated.

Get this, while Briere was signing for a kid in front of us, the Zamboni driver pulled up by the bench, and said, "Hey Danny, could you move the nets for me?? Briere said sure, and skated across the ice, waited for the Zam to pass, moved the net, and did the same for the other net. This is a millionaire doing a favor for a city employee and not thinking twice about it. That's why we love hockey players. They're just regular guys with good values. Try asking Nate Clements to run across the field to move something for you. Won't happen.

I highly recommend going to the game day skate if you ever get a chance. It was a great experience, and well worth the time. It's free!

That was the game where Kotalik scored on the PP with about 3 minutes left, and then Afinogenov scored the winner in OT.

Under her seat, my friend found an invitation to the Biron's Christmas Party. Had the address (Clarence) and home phone number. She was going to give it to her son as a souvenir. I told her to show up and have fun, but she didn't go.

Great trip!

Merry Christmas all!

Reminds me of the 70's when we would send in forms off the milk cartons and get our free tickets to the holiday open practice. My brothers took me one year and we left about three hours early to get good seats. It was the first time I sat in the Golds. When you're little you think those seats cost a million dollars or something. Back then my favorite player was Bill Hajt. I think because I kept getting him in every pack of Topps hockey cards. Hajt and Chico Reesch (sp.?).

Archived