Miller or Biron

hopeleslyobvious

Miller made some big saves and did look good in the shootout. I don't think he looked "great" overall. I counted at least 4 big rebounds he gave up. None resulted in a goal , but they each resulted in more grey hair. He needs to control rebounds better. I'm not sure if that is a "rust" problem or an inexperience issue.

I was VERY PLEASED to see Miller start and EXSTATIC with his overall play. First game back, on the road, and we just passed - maybe tied because they got a point - Philly in the standings

Miller made some big saves and did look good in the shootout. I don't think he looked "great" overall. I counted at least 4 big rebounds he gave up. None resulted in a goal , but they each resulted in more grey hair. He needs to control rebounds better. I'm not sure if that is a "rust" problem or an inexperience issue.

I was VERY PLEASED to see Miller start and EXSTATIC with his overall play. First game back, on the road, and we just passed - maybe tied because they got a point - Philly in the standings

I said great, not flawless :) I am hoping the rebounds were due to rust. He made a strong case for himself to get more work.

I would say he looked great for playing in his first NHL game back from an injury.

Miller was really really good and I feel confident when he's in there for a shootout...this is a good problem to have for sure....

FITZPATRICK IS TERRIBLY HORRIBLE AND ATROCIOUSLY DISGUSTINGLY BAD.

I miss Danny...I hope he's just getting extra rest.

Forsberg is amazing.

Lydman has mental lapses just like our beloved Smehlik did.

People around the hockey world are still waiting for this team to fall on its collective face..........go ahead and hold your breath because you will run out of breath because you will be waiting so long...ha..ha..ha, see what I did there, I made a joke. :blink:

I miss Danny...I hope he's just getting extra rest.

They talked about him some on the post game show, my wife was babbling about something so I didn't get to catch all of what they said :o , but I came away with the impression that the injury is still bothering him.

With the way they are playing right now and the cushion they currently have built over 9th place, I would not play Danny before the Olympic break unless 1 of 3 things happens:

1. They lose 3 straight,

2. They lose 2 more forwards to injury (I'd bring Thorburn back up w/ 1 injury), or

3. He can practice full speed for 2 weeks with no pain / discomfort.

They are winning right now without him and will absolutely need him for the playoffs (assuming they don't fall off the face of the earth in the 2nd half of the season) and probably will need him for the stretch run. I'd rather have him sit and get healthy than have him try to play through it and turn it into a chronic problem.

Why not both?

They really seem to inspire each other.

In baseball, you cannot have enough good pitching. In hockey, you need good goalies.

To Peter: A Sauve/Edwards situation worked once before; I like your idea.

To Knightrider: I think rebounds are always a problem for a goalie who doesn't get regular work, and for the younger goalie in particular. Even in Biron's first "real" season (5 shutouts in 41 games when Hasek was injured), he gave up some bad rebounds, especially in those first few games in relief. Now folks blame him for the soft goal--and I'll agree it's deserved criticism--but he wins games and no longer gives up those rebounds.

If I'm the GM at this moment in time, I play up that cartoon-like pad save Noronen made against the Rangers, trade him for the best I can get (partly because that kid deserves a better shot than he'll get here, and the reputation among players here needs to improve), and keep Miller and Biron. The Sabres have the cap room and then some.

Some stats for all of you. I calculated Miller's stats for the year after tonight's game (since Yahoo was too slow).

GAA=2.59

SV%=.917

I get SV%=.916

Speaking of SV%, it bugs me that they call it a percent, yet don't move the decimal over two places. The way they have it means that Miller saves less than 1 in a 100 shots.

To Knightrider: I think rebounds are always a problem for a goalie who doesn't get regular work, and for the younger goalie in particular.

I absolutely agree. I was just saying that the rebounds were a little troubling even before his injury. He needs experience. The Sabres are in a pretty good situation.

All in all, we look to be decent. Yes, we need to make sure Rory isn't on the ice for us, but, otherwise this team holds together OK. Well, except against Ottawa...

I think Miller and Biron should get one start each on the Florida trip.

I wholeheartedly agree. For "goalie confidence" purposes I'd start Marty on Thurs and Miller on Friday. If they each play very well you have two confident goalies. Hopefully they can both spend a month essentially sharing the load evenly and then Marty brings a solid defensemen in a trade by mid January.

I wholeheartedly agree. For "goalie confidence" purposes I'd start Marty on Thurs and Miller on Friday. If they each play very well you have two confident goalies. Hopefully they can both spend a month essentially sharing the load evenly and then Marty brings a solid defensemen in a trade by mid January.

Plus I'd like to see Ruff get in the habit of splitting the duties on back to back games rather than his "let's work this guy until he can't stand up" philosophy.

Guest Amazing Grant

Food for thought:

In his past two starts, Miller has only allowed 1 goal per game against Tampa and 1 against Philadelphia.

In Biron's past four starts, he's allowed 4 against Florida, 3 against Pittsburgh, 3 against Pittsburgh and 3 against Dallas.

Just saying.

Archived