Miller & Connolly Snubbed!

PTS

Grahme and DiPietro... i thought there was more in the way of U.S. goaltending then that... after tonights self-destruction against the leafs.... you'd think they'd be second guessing themselves?

Grahame is a good goalie and deserves to make the team, IMHO. I actually think that by the time the olympics come around he will be the starter on the team.

Had Ryan been healthy, he would have beaten out Esche, again IMHO. Esche has not looked particularily stellar this year and has been injury prone. Not wishing bad health on anyone, but if Esche continues to be nagged with injuries he can be replaced before the olympics start per my understanding based on last weekend's SHS on HNIC. That would give Miller an opportunity to be on the team and might even get him into some games.

I'd like the US's chances a lot better with either Grahame or Miller starting and DiPietro backing up than I like them with DiPietro in there and Grahame / Esche as the backup.

Grahame is a good goalie and deserves to make the team, IMHO. I actually think that by the time the olympics come around he will be the starter on the team.

Had Ryan been healthy, he would have beaten out Esche, again IMHO. Esche has not looked particularily stellar this year and has been injury prone. Not wishing bad health on anyone, but if Esche continues to be nagged with injuries he can be replaced before the olympics start per my understanding based on last weekend's SHS on HNIC. That would give Miller an opportunity to be on the team and might even get him into some games.

I'd like the US's chances a lot better with either Grahame or Miller starting and DiPietro backing up than I like them with DiPietro in there and Grahame / Esche as the backup.

Good call, Dave B. Esche is the weakest link, but Miller was injured early and for a long time. But there are many years ahead to see Miller in the red, white and blue.

I think in order to be snubbed, one has to be worthy of said honor. Connolly just isn't ready yet. As far as Miller, Team USA had no idea what he was going to be like after the injury. Rust/after effects from the injury really left his status up in the air. I have no problem leaving either off but I got a feeling Miller might still get on due to an injury, real or made up by the powers that be.

I'll go out on a limb here, and claim it's to The Sabres advantage that Connolly and Miller weren't picked for Team USA.

There's a very tight schedule coming up immediately after the games, and although I would certainly have liked to see them on the team, I'll just be happy they get a good rest instead.

I'll go out on a limb here, and claim it's to The Sabres advantage that Connolly and Miller weren't picked for Team USA.

There's a very tight schedule coming up immediately after the games, and although I would certainly have liked to see them on the team, I'll just be happy they get a good rest instead.

I second that... remember zhitnik, shmelik, hasek running out of gas by the end of the playoffs in 99?? it was nagano. winning a gold for your country is great and all, but not at the expense of the stanley cup. that's miller's real prize.

as for his snub, that was an easy call for USA hockey. he was injured for most the season so far. even if esche, dipietro, or grahamn are lesser goalies, you still keep miller out of the tournament because he was such a question mark. However, one minute injury by any of these three guys and miller is in. I bet usa hockey was kicking itself after that stellar 3rd period yesterday.

I bet usa hockey was kicking itself after that stellar 3rd period yesterday.

Yep, and possibly pointing a shotgun no to their heads after DiPetero's 6 goals on 17 shots yesterday.

I hate to say it but USA won't come close to a medal with this goaltending trio.

I guess they just weren't willing to take the "risk" on Timmy C.

I don't know if it was ever confirmed that Connolly was on Team USA's prelim list that was sent in before the season so that everyone that was potentially on the team was in the Olympic drug testing pool.

If Connolly wasn't on that original list, then he couldn't be named to the team.

as for his snub, that was an easy call for USA hockey. he was injured for most the season so far. even if esche, dipietro, or grahamn are lesser goalies, you still keep miller out of the tournament because he was such a question mark. However, one minute injury by any of these three guys and miller is in. I bet usa hockey was kicking itself after that stellar 3rd period yesterday.

Esche has been nursing a groin injury. Those will linger much longer than a broken thumb, especially for a goalie.

This decision doesn't bother me at all. Miller was just going to ride the pine anyway.

You can bet the other teams aren't too worried about the U.S. goalies.

Canada has far better tending. The Czechs as well. What team doesn't?

Miller should have been on the team ahead of Esche or Grahame. DiPietro is playing awful, but he's better than those two.

Archived