Ryan Miller

mphs mike

You are correct, he can be sent to Rochester without it being a conditioning assignment. It would though be a demotion, and I don't like the idea of telling the kid he was "demoted" back to Rochester for whatever reason. He has earned a spot on the Sabres roster.

I have concerns that being told in effect "well, we're only taking money out of your pocket so you don't get rusty" might play with his head. (I truly doubt he is on a 1-way contract, so a non-conditioning assignment is not only a demotion in his head, it is a demotion in his wallet as well.)

Especially if he finds his way on to the US Olympic team tonight.

You are correct, he can be sent to Rochester without it being a conditioning assignment. It would though be a demotion, and I don't like the idea of telling the kid he was "demoted" back to Rochester for whatever reason. He has earned a spot on the Sabres roster.

I have concerns that being told in effect "well, we're only taking money out of your pocket so you don't get rusty" might play with his head. (I truly doubt he is on a 1-way contract, so a non-conditioning assignment is not only a demotion in his head, it is a demotion in his wallet as well.)

He has an entry level contract. I don't know the amount, but I doubt there would be much difference between that and an AHL salary.

I'm wondering if he might have gotten a different contract.  He had a bit of leverage in the negotiations when he decided to leave Michigan State.  The same goes for Vanek.

He definitely didn't get anything close to $500k for playing w/ the Amerks. My guess is it would be ~$65k but don't know that for certain. It definitely isn't for more than $75k because he would have to clear waivers to go back up to the Sabres if he were sent down according to the new CBA.

On another note, I give credit to Lindy for putting Miller in the net tonight. I only saw the 3rd period and overtime, but Ryan looked good while I was watching. I did not think that this was the right time to play Ryan, but it worked out well.

I do hope that this is the start of improved goaltender management by Lindy. Time will tell.

He definitely didn't get anything close to $500k for playing w/ the Amerks. My guess is it would be ~$65k but don't know that for certain. It definitely isn't for more than $75k because he would have to clear waivers to go back up to the Sabres if he were sent down according to the new CBA.

I thought there was also a minimum years of service in the CBA for the younger players.

I thought there was also a minimum years of service in the CBA for the younger players.

I have never seen a copy of the CBA so I don't know if there is an exception from the callup waiver for players exempt from the call down waiver. I would be surprised if there were, but don't know the answer to that question.

Even if your supposition about the callup waiver is correct, I still don't see Ryan receiving any more than ~$100k in Rochester as the Amerks could not afford an NHL type of salary. The Sabres could afford that (or more appropriately would see it as less of a huge hit to their overall balance sheet) better than the Amerks could, but considering Ryan signed with Buffalo in 2002, I don't see that as being a likely scenario.

It's moot anyway as Ryan played tonight and looked good (at least in the 3rd and OT when I could watch him), but it is an interesting question.

On another note, I give credit to Lindy for putting Miller in the net tonight. I only saw the 3rd period and overtime, but Ryan looked good while I was watching. I did not think that this was the right time to play Ryan, but it worked out well.

I do hope that this is the start of improved goaltender management by Lindy. Time will tell.

DaveB -- looks like Lindy was right and we were wrong (about preferring to start Marty tonight). Maybe he knows the kid is MONEY. Holy mackarel that was a great performance by Miller. He's not scared of anything.

I'll say it again: I would definitely trade marty if we can get something good for him.

Go Sabres. what a great win.

Archived