How bout Biron for Bertuzzi

kissass6

There you go with stats again...but this time i like them!

There is no doubt that Biron is the wipping boy and has been ever since he has taken over for one of the greatest goalies of all time...

Yes he has had his mental breakdowns and has let in many weak goals, but you can't tell me that the Sabres were a better team (especially the d) in front of Marty than the Caps and the Panthers were in front of Kolzig and Luongo...

Interesting stats...

The only thing i would say is that the Sabres have always played a defensive game...can't say the same thing about the Caps and Panthers

The only thing i would say is that the Sabres have always played a defensive game...can't say the same thing about the Caps and Panthers

I'd say that the save percentages adjust for the defensive style in front of the goalie, but I can see and understand why someone would argue against that. Looking at those numbers, Luongo is slightly better, but is he $1 million better? Also, Florida would probably ask for more for him than Buffalo would for Biron.

The one thing I didn't mention was playoff experience. Of that group, only Kolzig has any. Again though, is that playoff experience (none in quite a few years now) worth the extra $2.8 or $1.7 million, especially for a team like Vancouver who has limited cap space?

I don't think there's much of an arguement over who g.m.'s would want between Luongo or Biron...

As far as Kolzig and Biron, if i'm a team contending for the cup, I would go with Kolzig, if the cap room was there...If i was any other team , I would take Biron

No one...and I mean no one....has talked about what happens if we trade Biron and the team goes into a slide because Miller can't regain his pre-injury form. 

Everyone talks like trading Biron is a no-brainer move.  But what most of you are talking about is messing with success.  The team is winning practically every game.  You can't play any better.  So what do you do??  BAM!  Trade the goalie that is carrying the team.

Maybe it's the right move...but don't act like there is no risk of it backfiring.  How many will be calling for Regier's head if it all goes bad?

PTR

PTR, you are correct in that there is a risk of a Biron trade backfiring.

There is also a risk that if the team does nothing, that Marty (and the team) may come back down to earth. Marty right now is playing darn near the best hockey of his career, but he and the team also are getting almost all the bounces go their way. When some of those shots that are currently bouncing off the post and away from Marty start bouncing in, is his confidence high enough that he won't let it affect him or will we see a reversion to the Marty of old? I don't have the answer to that.

Also, are he and Miller both mature enough to be able to play well (and rust-free) when it finally is their turn in Lindy's "play the hot goalie till he drops" game and they weren't the "hot" goalie? I hope they are, but do not know that either or both are.

Marty is playing well right now (I thought he should have been the 3rd star instead of Roy on Saturday) but I can think of very few games where I would say Marty "carried" the team. I don't think the team has been carrying him either. For the 1st time in a long time (probably about 12 years), the whole thing is clicking in the regular season. I would like to see Marty get the NHL record for consective start wins, and knowing how slow Darcy is to pull the trigger, I expect that as long as he keeps winning it will be in a Sabres uniform.

If we all are hoping for an Edwards/Suave type situation, we have to hope for them to fit together as those two did. Hershey Bears games were wonderful in the 70's and you could get to know the players well - and if you were fortunate enough to play youth hockey in hershey at the arena you really got to know the players. Edwards would help anyone - from an 8 yr old first learning to a 40 yr old playing senior hockey with anything. I hope one of these two has that temperment.

What makes anyone think that one hot streak is going to vastly inflate Biron's trade value?

I've heard that this subject was the topic of discussion during the Satellite Hotstove on HNIC Saturday and they said that the Sabres aren't getting great offers for Biron despite the streak.

The best offer for Biron right now might be a 2nd round pick.

And you know Regier won't make that deal.

And as far as Bertuzzi goes, the Sabres won't take on that kind of payroll, so don't even think about it.

Besides, I doubt Nonis is going to give up Bertuzzi in a deal like that.

My main man Jimmy Bob...

As far as Bertuzzi goes, of course he's not coming here...

Biron's trade value has gone up in the last full hockey year...vastly inflated - no, agreed...

Keep in mind, in the new cap world, teams are going to be more likely to keep their picks and develop within...a 2nd round pick is a valueable commidity...

My guess is that Darcy isn't looking for a pick anymore...this team is looking like a playoff team and needs help on d...you could probably get a 4th or 5th dman a lot easier than a 2nd round pick...teams that might need a goalie are going to be looking to dump players and salaries...i'm not saying it's going to be easy to pluck defenseman from teams, i'm not even saying that there going to move Biron...

As i always say at work, it's a nice problem to have...

All of these well-stated posts raise the question: if the best we can get for Marty is a 2nd round pick, should we make the deal? I'm assuming that Miller is going to win back the starting job by the end of january and is going to be very strong all year. (Nice assumption, I know). Maybe, if we're legit conference finalists, and maybe more, having Marty available in case Miller gets hurt, rookie jitters, etc. has sufficient value that we don't just dump him for a pick.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping him if all we can get is a pick. I'll admit that I felt differently before Miller got hurt -- but Marty's winning streak is a pretty powerful argument in changing my mind.

On the other hand, I'd trade Marty and any of our defensemen for a legit #1 defenseman -- ie someone like Niedermayer, Blake, etc.

Go Sabres. I'm still buzzing after that GREAT win last night.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping him if all we can get is a pick. I'll admit that I felt differently before Miller got hurt -- but Marty's winning streak is a pretty powerful argument in changing my mind.

On the other hand, I'd trade Marty and any of our defensemen for a legit #1 defenseman -- ie someone like Niedermayer, Blake, etc.

Purely hypothetical:

Sabres are going to make the playoffs, these offers come in at the deadline ( assume that we haven't made any trades all year and most are healthy):

1. Biron to Florida for Sean Hill

2. Biron to Capitals for Brendan Witt

3. Biron to Anaheim for Keith Carney

4. Biron to Edmonton for Steve Staios

Do you make any of these deals?

I would be tempted

The REAL issue about moving a goaltender - or any player - is ROSTER SIZE. When Dumont and Pyatt come back from IR, 2 players HAVE to be moved - period.

Unless, of course, other players go on the IR in the meantime. Pominville cannot be sent down without passing through waivers (he's played more than 10 games) - which would NEVER happen now. Perhaps Fitzpatrick would make it through - but he's the only other close option. Noronen... never.

So who goes when TWO spots are needed?

We probably won't find out until the IR is clear... but my guess is Noronen gets moved for a draft pick or non-roster player (ie. Klepis trade we made for Varada) or gets packaged with a second player in a 2-for-1 deal.

Keeping Biron is the safe bet - and Darcy usually takes that route... but with his contract up at the end of the year, if we wait until the trade deadline, Biron can have 25 wins in a row, his value will be low.

Darcy's tough decision is dictated by who's on IR...

The REAL issue about moving a goaltender - or any player - is ROSTER SIZE.  When Dumont and Pyatt come back from IR, 2 players HAVE to be moved - period. 

Unless, of course, other players go on the IR in the meantime.  Pominville cannot be sent down without passing through waivers (he's played more than 10 games) - which would NEVER happen now.  Perhaps Fitzpatrick would make it through - but he's the only other close option.  Noronen... never.

We probably won't find out until the IR is clear... but my guess is Noronen gets moved for a draft pick or non-roster player (ie. Klepis trade we made for Varada) or gets packaged with a second player in a 2-for-1 deal.

Keeping Biron is the safe bet - and Darcy usually takes that route... but with his contract up at the end of the year, if we wait until the trade deadline, Biron can have 25 wins in a row, his value will be low.

You are forgetting Peters. He can be moved down with no fear whatsoever of getting claimed. In a pinch on a road trip, Campbell could be your 12th forward if there are only 12 forwards on the roster and someone needs a night off due to injury or illness.

If somehow Peters is claimed and you want a tough guy in Buffalo, McMorrow could be called up.

You are correct that roster size is a huge consideration in this good problem to have - having too much NHL quality goaltending, and it is one of the several reasons I expect a goalie will be moved this season.

The REAL issue about moving a goaltender - or any player - is ROSTER SIZE. When Dumont and Pyatt come back from IR, 2 players HAVE to be moved - period.

Unless, of course, other players go on the IR in the meantime. Pominville cannot be sent down without passing through waivers (he's played more than 10 games) - which would NEVER happen now. Perhaps Fitzpatrick would make it through - but he's the only other close option. Noronen... never.

good post...you are welcome here any time guest.

good post...you are welcome here any time guest.

Are you writing unregistered posts then complimenting yourself :lol:

Anyway.

Pyatt has played his last game as a Sabre and dont be surprised if Dumont is done for the year. Even if he comes back (due to the nature of the injury) he will be so far out of condition it would take him too long to get back into shape.

Regier has a chance here to make a statement. I don't think he will let it slip by. He knows that this team has a chance to due something in the playoffs.

Archived