How bout Biron for Bertuzzi

kissass6

With Bertuzzi sounding more and more like he's on his way out of Vancouver, and with their need for goaltending, this almost seems like a perfect trade. It'll put Biron out of the conference and give us a tough guy that can work the front of the net on power plays. Whenever anyone writes a proposed trade, they for some reason usually get burned, just remember that I'm a fellow sabres fan!!

Let's Go Buffalo!

Bucky Gleason tries to answwer my question:

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051218/2037646.asp

"It would be a bold move, but it would be the right move if the Sabres can get the right player. Vancouver, Atlanta and Colorado are in the market for goalies and could become desperate enough to unload a key player. The Sabres are darned good already, and they're in position to get better.

Ideally, Buffalo would keep both goalies. It's also not reality. You can't find many players who are better teammates or better people than Biron has been with the Sabres, but there aren't enough nets to keep him and Miller happy and effective. If the Sabres hold Biron too long, his value will decrease. GMs can see the bigger picture. Biron has been terrific, but the 13 games amount to less than 5 percent of his career. When do they trade him? Whom do they receive in return? It's what Regier needs to decide. In the meantime, the Sabres should savor the streak while they can. "

I have to agre, Miller is the man, so why not take a chance and move Biron when the right ofer comes up. The problem is, I question Regier's ability to evaluate the right offer.

Bucky Gleason tries to answwer my question:

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20051218/2037646.asp

"It would be a bold move, but it would be the right move if the Sabres can get the right player. Vancouver, Atlanta and Colorado are in the market for goalies and could become desperate enough to unload a key player. The Sabres are darned good already, and they're in position to get better.

Ideally, Buffalo would keep both goalies. It's also not reality. You can't find many players who are better teammates or better people than Biron has been with the Sabres, but there aren't enough nets to keep him and Miller happy and effective. If the Sabres hold Biron too long, his value will decrease. GMs can see the bigger picture. Biron has been terrific, but the 13 games amount to less than 5 percent of his career. When do they trade him? Whom do they receive in return? It's what Regier needs to decide. In the meantime, the Sabres should savor the streak while they can. "

I have to agre, Miller is the man, so why not take a chance and move Biron when the right ofer comes up. The problem is, I question Regier's ability to evaluate the right offer.

Regier has to be careful. If he waits too long a team may decide too look Kolzigs way instead.

I wonder if a three way deal could work. I would like to see the Caps involved with Whitt coming to the Sabres. Teams do it the NBA which has a similar cap. A team like Washington could take on a contract coming to an end with no additional years. Freeing up money for next season.

Any idea how much towards the cap the Sabres are committed to next season?

With Bertuzzi sounding more and more like he's on his way out of Vancouver, and with their need for goaltending, this almost seems like a perfect trade. It'll put Biron out of the conference and give us a tough guy that can work the front of the net on power plays. Whenever anyone writes a proposed trade, they for some reason usually get burned, just remember that I'm a fellow sabres fan!!

Let's Go Buffalo!

It would most likely be Tuzzi for Biron and a pick (or good prospect) but the problem here is the Sabres don't need another forward.

We have an iffy defense that could become our downfall if one or two key guys get hurt (like McKee). I could see a guy like Jovonaski coming here from Vancouver instead.

How bout you put the crack pipe down and slowly back away?

With salary cap considerations, I don't think he's that off. Surely we can't get Tuzzi for Biron straight up, but with Vancouver's cap problems, he might not cost as much as he should on the open market.

The Ottawa Sun (via rumor mill) is reporting:

A big deal could be brewing between the Sabres and Edmonton Oilers, says the Ottawa Sun. Edmonton would send TRW Radek Dvorak, C Marty Reasoner, D Cory Cross and G Ty Conklin to the Sabres in exchange for RW Maxim Afinogenov, D Rory Fitzpatrick and G Mika Noronen.

I don't think I buy it.

Whoa, I definitely don't buy that one...although it could be a ploy by Darcy to unload Fitzpatrick on someone and maybe even streaky Max. I like Marty Reasoner and Dvorak has some juice left in him for 20 goal seasons....but I don't know how much better Cory Cross is....anywho...

We keep forgetting that Regier isn't going to move anyone until Miller comes back and starts playing like he did before he was injured because they definitely want to make sure Miller can handle the load when and if Marty departs and I think they are pretty confident in Mika being the back up and I have to say so am I...I guess. Because Marty and Ryan will not be here together come playoff time, that is something we can almost be certain of.

So we can't take any rumor seriously until Miller steps back on that ice.

The Ottawa Sun (via rumor mill) is reporting:

I don't think I buy it.

The Sabres would only be adding about $2 million in payroll? Less if Conklin has a two way contract.

I'm not sure how I feel about this deal. Dvorak? Maybe the long term for JP Dumont doesn't look so good?

I would like to see Mika get a real chance to put some games together.

<_<

No one...and I mean no one....has talked about what happens if we trade Biron and the team goes into a slide because Miller can't regain his pre-injury form.

Everyone talks like trading Biron is a no-brainer move. But what most of you are talking about is messing with success. The team is winning practically every game. You can't play any better. So what do you do?? BAM! Trade the goalie that is carrying the team.

Maybe it's the right move...but don't act like there is no risk of it backfiring. How many will be calling for Regier's head if it all goes bad?

PTR

So what do you do?? BAM! Trade the goalie that is carrying the team.

I think he is far from carrying the team. He is playing well, but our team is playing very very well. He is not hasek-esque.

If our team keeps playing well, and Miller regains his early season form, we will be in a good spot for a run into the playoffs.

You can't play any better.

Did you watch the games over the weekend?

They needed to go 5 for 8 on the power play, OT and a great save by Biron to sweep the Pens.

Yes. The team is winning. But by no means are they steamrolling anyone. They have holes to plug and the only way to do that is by useing your strength to address your weaknesses.

The more I look at that Rumor the more I wish it would happen. It addresses the need for a blueliner. Adds some depth in the forward ranks and moves a goalie that won't play in the AHL for you for a guy who for now could start for you in spots, not long term, but here and there.

I wish Regier would address the Sabres needs early this season that way he can sit back at the deadline and if a player falls in his lap? Good. If not? The needs have been addressed.

No one...and I mean no one....has talked about what happens if we trade Biron and the team goes into a slide because Miller can't regain his pre-injury form.

Everyone talks like trading Biron is a no-brainer move. But what most of you are talking about is messing with success. The team is winning practically every game. You can't play any better. So what do you do?? BAM! Trade the goalie that is carrying the team.

Maybe it's the right move...but don't act like there is no risk of it backfiring. How many will be calling for Regier's head if it all goes bad?

PTR

Promo...I think there is a risk that trading Marty could backfire, but I believe you have to deal from a position of strength(goaltending) to improve a position of weakness(defense). Regarding whether Miller can regain his form, he broke his thumb...he didn't tear his ACL or something that would have more impact on his effectiveness.

Also, strike when the iron is hot, in terms of teams that may be more vulnerable to a trade who need goaltending badly right now.

All that being said, I take the risk and trade Marty now along with a prospect and/or a pick to bring in a quality blueliner.

Whoa, I definitely don't buy that one...although it could be a ploy by Darcy to unload Fitzpatrick on someone and maybe even streaky Max. I like Marty Reasoner and Dvorak has some juice left in him for 20 goal seasons....but I don't know how much better Cory Cross is....anywho...

We keep forgetting that Regier isn't going to move anyone until Miller comes back and starts playing like he did before he was injured because they definitely want to make sure Miller can handle the load when and if Marty departs and I think they are pretty confident in Mika being the back up and I have to say so am I...I guess. Because Marty and Ryan will not be here together come playoff time, that is something we can almost be certain of.

So we can't take any rumor seriously until Miller steps back on that ice.

But that raises a problem. It looks like Miller is not going to get time until Biron cools down, and his trade value goes down.

Do you guys think GMs and player personnel guys are going to be swayed THAT much by Biron's recent very good (not spectacular) play? Marty's been around for years. People in the NHL know what he is. He's been average, at times a little above average. Let's not overestimate what he's going to bring in a trade.

G.M.'s look at the fact that he took over a bad team 3 seasons ago...how people can say Biron was the reason they didn't get into the playoffs those years is beyond me...he is now reaching his prime as a goalie...now that he has played solid this year and the last season, his stock might be higher than you think...

The problem is g.m's hate trading for goalies...they'd much rather develop from within

Do you guys think GMs and player personnel guys are going to be swayed THAT much by Biron's recent very good (not spectacular) play? Marty's been around for years. People in the NHL know what he is. He's been average, at times a little above average. Let's not overestimate what he's going to bring in a trade.

He's a career 2.49, .910 goalie. Compare that to Kolzig who's a career 2.60, .908 goalie and Luongo at 2.70, .919. Take into account their salaries, $2,128 million, $4.94 million, and $3.2 million repectively. Factor in their current play. Which one would you say is the best value?

Archived