Sabres defense

jp...

Yes, the team is doing well...but Buffalo still has one of the weakest d's in the league...i said from the begging of the season that we had 4 solid lines that could play with anyone ( except maybe Ottawa)...goaltending has been a bonus in my opinion...i didn't think Miller was going to play as well as he has...and even i, someone who screamed and shouted all last year that given the choice of Mika or Marty, Biron would give us the best chance to make the playoffs, find it hard to fathom that #43 is playing this well...but our d is weak - yes Kalinin has played awful, that hurts...Lydman and Teppo are playing decently, Campbell is getting some points, Tallinder has been ok, Mckee has been a huge pleasant surprise...but when push comes to shove during the stretch, this d won't be able to hack it...we need a north american that can skate but play tough and bring leadership/experience...hopefully we don't wait until the trade deadline to do something...it would be nice for a change, to make a move early...we all think things are great right now, but i'm telling you that the Islanders and Devils are not that far behind...it wouldn't take much for this team to slip and for one of these teams, if not Boston, to start making a move...we are in a position of strength right now...hopefully Regier flexes his muscles soon

Ultimately what I would like to see the team do is aquire a #1 Dman to team with Teppo. Someone rugged that can still skate a little. Jovonoski fits the bill but I don't think that is who will get. I would also like to see them go after another dman, more rugged, and will drop the gloves if need be. I know their is no need for fighting right now but opposing team need to repect our goalies come late season/playoff time. Bobby Bougner would be great for this but that won't happen either.

A more likely scenario would probably invlove Janik. That being said, if we did pry Jovocop from Van our D could look something like this.

Jovonoski-Numminen

Mckee-Lydman

Campbell-Kalinen

Send Fitzpatrick to Rochester and use Tallinder/Janik as our 7th Dman.

I like the looks of that.

Oh ya, i forgot about Fitz...he has been there worst d in my opinion...i don't think it's from a lack of effort, it's just this guy is AHL material and shouldn't be on this roster...tell me any other team in the league that would have Fitz in there lineup

Yes, the team is doing well...but Buffalo still has one of the weakest d's in the league...i said from the begging of the season that we had 4 solid lines that could play with anyone ( except maybe Ottawa)...goaltending has been a bonus in my opinion...i didn't think Miller was going to play as well as he has...and even i, someone who screamed and shouted all last year that given the choice of Mika or Marty, Biron would give us the best chance to make the playoffs, find it hard to fathom that #43 is playing this well...but our d is weak - yes Kalinin has played awful, that hurts...Lydman and Teppo are playing decently, Campbell is getting some points, Tallinder has been ok, Mckee has been a huge pleasant surprise...but when push comes to shove during the stretch, this d won't be able to hack it...we need a north american that can skate but play tough and bring leadership/experience...hopefully we don't wait until the trade deadline to do something...it would be nice for a change, to make a move early...we all think things are great right now, but i'm telling you that the Islanders and Devils are not that far behind...it wouldn't take much for this team to slip and for one of these teams, if not Boston, to start making a move...we are in a position of strength right now...hopefully Regier flexes his muscles soon

i think we all know regier is not doing anything. and i agree with your points.

i think we all know regier is not doing anything. and i agree with your points.

regier won't do anything until theres a 'need' he's just that kind of guy... right now were winning and everything... every little detail is clicking... he's not gonna touch it... as soon as we start losing then the trade rumours come out and everyone starts talking and regier starts making phone calls... until then im happy to sit wait and watch our team win game after game with a talent pool thats not even half of the senators... anyone notice that we beat the stars and the sens got shut out by them... next time we meet the sens... its pay back time!

regier won't do anything until theres a 'need' he's just that kind of guy... right now were winning and everything... every little detail is clicking... he's not gonna touch it... as soon as we start losing then the trade rumours come out and everyone starts talking and regier starts making phone calls... until then im happy to sit wait and watch our team win game after game with a talent pool thats not even half of the senators... anyone notice that we beat the stars and the sens got shut out by them... next time we meet the sens... its pay back time!

I wouldn't be suprised if Regier made a move much sooner. With this run they are on? It might be the kind of thing to get Golisano excited and willing to spend a few more bucks. I wouldn't be suprised if Golisano has already given Regier the OK.

Remember. Home ice could means at least one more home game in the first round baring a sweep. The Sabres used to say one home game is worth $1 million to the franchise since the players don't get paid by the team in the playofffs. Money in = money out. Golisano just might buy into it.

Darcy will not tinker when they are on this winning streak, obviously...and his history shows that any deal probably won't be a huge blockbuster deal involving a lot of players ( not many deals are anymore)...the more i think about it, the more i believe he'll move Noranen and something (pick or player) for a solid 5th or 6th d-man, moving Fitz right out of the picture and leaving Campbell and Tallinder to fight for the last roster spot...a lot will be riding on Miller's performance when he returns.

the more i think about it, the more i believe he'll move Noranen and something (pick or player) for a solid 5th or 6th d-man, moving Fitz right out of the picture and leaving Campbell and Tallinder to fight for the last roster spot...a lot will be riding on Miller's performance when he returns.

this is a pretty plausible scenario, except for the last part. Tallinder isn't close to the bottom of the depth chart for the defense. He either leads in ice time every night or is very close to the top. Fitzie is at the bottom of the totem pole, with Kalinin not far above.

I would love to bring in another defenseman, but we don't need a 5-6 quality guy. We also don't need to unload Mika. He is cheap. I would much rather get something good for Marty and his $2.2 million hunk of the budget.

We are sort of in a difficult situation though -- the longer we wait, the harder it will be to trade him -- either b/c the winning streak continues, or b/c he starts losing and looks less attractive to other teams.

Sabres depth chart - defense:

Mckee, Lydman, Numinen, Campbell, Kalinin, Tallinder, Fitz

Looks like Tallinder's at the bottom...granted Kalinin is playing poorly now, but his talent is there, just off to a rough start and hurt for most of this season

Ya Mika is cheap-that's his only selling point right now...if someone is willing to give you anything for Noranen, you take it and run...

Why are you worried about losing Biron's salary...the Sabres have some room to add salary...if our goalie tandem is Miller and Biron, doesn't that make us better?

Sabres depth chart - defense:

Mckee, Lydman, Numinen, Campbell, Kalinin, Tallinder, Fitz

Looks like Tallinder's at the bottom...granted Kalinin is playing poorly now, but his talent is there, just off to a rough start and hurt for most of this season

Ya Mika is cheap-that's his only selling point right now...if someone is willing to give you anything for Noranen, you take it and run...

Why are you worried about losing Biron's salary...the Sabres have some room to add salary...if our goalie tandem is Miller and Biron, doesn't that make us better?

Tallinder is 2nd on the team in ice time, behind only Lydman.

I know that actual stats are inconvenient for making things up, but you should try to pay attention to them sometime.

lol...

So with your rational, mckee would be lower than both of these two on the depth chart?...

Give your head and the stats a shake...

Stats tell you half of the story d-bag...

Too much :lol:

If I'm not mistaken, Tallinder and Lydman are out there against the opposing team's top line most of the time. That should tell you something right there.

Listen, i think Tallinder has been a pleasant surprise this year...but for me, i'm playing Mckee, Kalinin, Lydman and Numinen ahead of him...assuming and hoping that we trade for a defensman, that would leave Tallinder and Campbell fighting for that last spot...given the choice down the stretch, i would go with Tallinder...

Archived