Goalie debate

hopeleslyobvious

So, the Sabres have 3 games in 4 days...2 in less than 24 hours. Seeing that Miller is off the IR (at least according to Yahoo), it is possible that he gets one of the starts.

So the question to all of the Biron supporters, and those who make the "go with the hot hand," "don't mess with a winning streak," etc. arguments is, what happens if Miller has a great game?

There isn't an issue here. If my grandma were on an 11 game winning streak she'd be the starter until she faltered. Even If Biron loses a game 2-1 or 3-2 and but stands on his head then I'd continue to start him. If he gives up 4 or more in a loss then i put Miller in for the next start and hope he's back to form.

Biron should start friday (also because I'll be there) and if Miller is back up with the club saturday then Miller can start Saturday's game. Then Marty probably starts in Philly on Monday, unless Miller looks like he did before he got hurt... but Marty is the man right now... back to back games he can sit out one, nothing hurt... but if he sits three games in a row, Miller better be stellar. I hope Miller plays insanely GREAT, that would be a nice problem to have.

At the end of the last season, the run from January to April, they were one of the hottest teams in the NHL and Biron played very well during that push for the playoffs...so what makes us think he can't do it for an extended period of time. It seems many of us are waiting for him to falter like we're expecting it, but I'm starting to put some trust in Biron. Like Lindy said last night after the game, the players have to trust the coaches and vice versa. And Marty is showing he can do it...and until he really goes the other way, I think he deserves the reigns to this team.

Miller will surely get his chance and if both play great....then FANTASTIC!

I never saw or heard who the Sabres dressed as the backup goalie last night. The Amerks played in Cleveland and Miller was not there. I suspect he starts one of the Pens games (Sat) or he'd still be in Rochester getting playing time.

The TSN crew made it sound like Miller was the backup, but they never actually said it or showed anyone on the bench.

There isn't an issue here. If my grandma were on an 11 game winning streak she'd be the starter until she faltered. Even If Biron loses a game 2-1 or 3-2 and but stands on his head then I'd continue to start him. If he gives up 4 or more in a loss then i put Miller in for the next start and hope he's back to form.

Ok, where to start:

First of all, the question I asked was, what if Miller plays Saturday and has a stellar game. You may want Biron to play every games, but I think even the biggest Marty supporter will admit it's not a good idea to play him Friday and Saturday night. So, they have back to back games with the Pens. What if both goalies play well? You still advocate sitting Miller? What if he looks better in his start than Biron does?

Another thing to consider, you want to wait until Biron has a bad game before giving Miller a start, and hope he's back to form? I am a big Miller supporter, and even I'll admit that if you sit him on the bench a few weeks, he is not going to be back to form when coming back.

He won the job in camp. I know I'm not going to convince many of you that it should be Miller's job to lose...but if he has a strong outing in his next start shouldn't he at least have a shot at getting his job back?

As for Miller's rehab stint, he also played a game for the Amerks on Sunday where he let in 1. He was not on the Amerks roster for last night's game, and Yahoo has him activated.

So the question to all of the Biron supporters, and those who make the "go with the hot hand," "don't mess with a winning streak," etc. arguments is, what happens if Miller has a great game?

Good question, but unless miller were to play an incredible game, a shutout or where he is standing on his head for much of the game, I would still be inclined to go back with Biron for his play as of late.

I think another good question would be what if miller has a terrible game? Unlike many here who want to deal marty immediately I am still not totally comfortable with Miller yet, I just havent seen enough of him from his start to the season to convince myself that he is not streaky in the same way marty has been in previous years, granted I am still not comfortable with Marty in this respect either, but I think it would put us in a terrible position if we dealt marty and miller started to struggle.

Good question, but unless miller were to play an incredible game, a shutout or where he is standing on his head for much of the game, I would still be inclined to go back with Biron for his play as of late.

I think another good question would be what if miller has a terrible game?  Unlike many here who want to deal marty immediately I am still not totally comfortable with Miller yet, I just havent seen enough of him from his start to the season to convince myself that he is not streaky in the same way marty has been in previous years, granted I am still not comfortable with Marty in this respect either, but I think it would put us in a terrible position if we dealt marty and miller started to struggle.

You are forgetting about our luxury. Mika can play. He needs to have some rust removed, but that problem would likely be solved with some significant playing time. I believe that at this point in time, trading a red hot Marty for some top-line defensive help would really solidify this team. Plus, don't forget that as Miller gets more experience at the NHL level, his game should continue to improve as well.

You are forgetting about our luxury.  Mika can play.  He needs to have some rust removed, but that problem would likely be solved with some significant playing time.  I believe that at this point in time, trading a red hot Marty for some top-line defensive help would really solidify this team.  Plus, don't forget that as Miller gets more experience at the NHL level, his game should continue to improve as well.

hmmm im all for trading marty... but if you look at this "fantasy League" scenario... i pulled biron off of waivers right after miller went down thinking that maybe he'll pull something together... well i traded him the night after his last loss... i gave Mogilny and Biron up for Havlat... who is now out for a considerable amount of time.. i know hindsight is 20/20 but still think if that happend... i pretty much saved my tradeing partners season by moving biron over to him and for little or nothing in return basically... we have to be careful to get the right man... right now though lets use biron for all he's worth and then trade him at another highpoint down the road.

Rumour has it that the Canucks are interested in plucking Biron away from the Sabres. They freed up over $2.5 million when Cloutier went down.

The Sabres are have said to Vancouver that they don't mind trading with them, but they just want to make sure Miller comes back and plays like he did before he got hurt. Once they are comfortable with that, then Buffalo will pull the trigger.

Vancouver is fine with that as Alex Auld has played very well for them, so they aren't in a hurry anyway.

Possibly after the Christmas trade freeze, this deal gets done.

The Sabres are have said to Vancouver that they don't mind trading with them.

Source on that... or just speculation? because they have some serious defense on that team and as others have stated... Jovonovski over here would look real nice...

Archived