Jovanoski, Salo, Ohlund

Rayzor32

With Cloutier out for the season, they need a goalie and happen to have a glut of good defensemen...Marty's playing well, his stock has risen, lets trade him before he comes crashing down to his usual mediocre self..I'd take any of the three (Jovanoski, Salo, Ohlund) from Vancouver in return...any one of them would help us tremendously...

With Cloutier out for the season, they need a goalie and happen to have a glut of good defensemen...Marty's playing well, his stock has risen, lets trade him before he comes crashing down to his usual mediocre self..I'd take any of the three (Jovanoski, Salo, Ohlund) from Vancouver in return...any one of them would help us tremendously...

Vancouver probably won't trade either of those guys straight up for Marty, even if he was the last goalie on earth.

I'm thinking they would, at least, want a player like Max aside from Biron. Maybe Vanek or Kotalik?

I we were to lose any of those three, I'd rather lose Max.

Vancouver probably won't trade either of those guys straight up for Marty, even if he was the last goalie on earth.

Jovo makes almost twice Marty's salary..(same goes for Ohlund)..while a straight-up deal for Marty doesn't make sense from a talent perspective, it may from an economic one...

the canucks won't trade a defenceman without getting one in return...without sopel und malik there is already a hole in the defence...

and jovo for biron won't happen because

1. auld is better than biron and biron too expensive for just being a backup

2. canucks want to win the cup and therefore need jovo or a replacement

ohlund or salo wouldn't be traded anyway...

What happens when you trade Biron and Miller doesn't play at the level you seem to expect him to? Then we can all complain how stupid Darcy was for trading Biron away when the Sabres were winning with him.

Ever hear the expression "if it ain't broke...?"

PTR

the canucks won't trade a defenceman without getting one in return...without sopel und malik there is already a hole in the defence...

For the right price anyone is tradable. But I'm thinking it makes more sense for Vancouver to trade for Luongo and then to have Buffalo trade with Florida.

Its amazing how everyone is a NHL GM around here. How does anyone know Vancouver would not trade any of those guys for Biron. Biron is looking like a good goalie right now, The just lost their starter so they are in a bit of a bind, therefore giving the sabres an upper hand in negotiations.

I'm not saying that we Vancouver will be willing to make a deal like that, but we have a valuable bargaining chip in Biron. If you were in a desperate need for a goalie who would you look at, a goalie who was just cut or put on waivers, or a guy on one of the longest winning streaks in history?

Plus I'll give Regier some credit, if there is one thing he is good at doing its making some good trades. How many people really thought Chris Gratton was worth anything in a trade, and look at what we got for him.

From today's Toronto Sun (for what it's worth):

Al Strachan reports Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis has moved quickly to free up space on his payroll for a potential replacement by filing the necessary paperwork regarding Dan Cloutier's long-term injury and thus freeing up $2.45 million in cap space. Strachan writes Nonis will "almost certainly" approach the Buffalo Sabres regarding Martin Biron and his $2.1 million salary, whilst Washington Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig and his $4.94 million salary are "out of the question".

While a Biron-Jovo (or Ohlund) deal leaves a najor hole in their lineup, it's hole they can easily fill by trading a Morrison or Bertuzzi...

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Vanco...354219-sun.html

The Canucks almost certainly will approach the Buffalo Sabres to acquire the services of Martin Biron whose salary is $2.1 million. Washington Capitals goaltender Olaf Kolazig, at $4.94 million, is out of the question.

But Sabres GM Darcy Regier wants to keep Biron available until he is sure that Ryan Miller has fully recovered from his thumb injury.

As a result, the deal may be delayed. But Nonis says that is not a concern.

I wonder if the Canucks would be interested in something like Biron and Kalinin for JovoCop or Ohlund?

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Vanco...354219-sun.html

I wonder if the Canucks would be interested in something like Biron and Kalinin for JovoCop or Ohlund?

Why would you want the Sabres to include Kalinin in a trade for a rental player (Jovo)? Kalinin's 25 and I expect to see him play much better as the groin injury heals, if not this year, then definitely next year.

If the Sabres were legitimate SC Finalist material with Jovo I'd consider it (but would still be leery), but I just don't see Jovo being enough to push the Sabres past Ottawa.

Why would you want the Sabres to include Kalinin in a trade for a rental player (Jovo)? Kalinin's 25 and I expect to see him play much better as the groin injury heals, if not this year, then definitely next year.

If the Sabres were legitimate SC Finalist material with Jovo I'd consider it (but would still be leery), but I just don't see Jovo being enough to push the Sabres past Ottawa.

Something's just not right with Kalinin and I'd rather see the Sabres move him before his trade value really bottoms out.

And even as a rental, I think Jovanovski would be worth the price.

From today's Toronto Sun (for what it's worth):

Al Strachan reports Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis has moved quickly to free up space on his payroll for a potential replacement by filing the necessary paperwork regarding Dan Cloutier's long-term injury and thus freeing up $2.45 million in cap space. Strachan writes Nonis will "almost certainly" approach the Buffalo Sabres regarding Martin Biron and his $2.1 million salary, whilst Washington Capitals goalie Olaf Kolzig and his $4.94 million salary are "out of the question".

While a Biron-Jovo (or Ohlund) deal leaves a najor hole in their lineup, it's hole they can easily fill by trading a Morrison or Bertuzzi...

Richard Park and a good pick for Marty.

I think he is. He is a Stanley Cup winner. He is an intimidating force in the D-Zone. He is a powerplay QB.

The Sabres may need another offensive weapon, but keep in mind that Dumont will be returning in March to give us an offensive boost.

The D horse is what is missing from this team.

Richard Park improves the Sabres how?

He's a good skater, hard worker, and I just think he'd fit in nicely. If they are going to make a deal they have to make sure to snag someone that will only strengthen the balance of the team, which is maybe why they shouldn't even bother. It was just a suggestion, fun to speculate some trades, that's all my man.

He's a good skater, hard worker, and I just think he'd fit in nicely.  If they are going to make a deal they have to make sure to snag someone that will only strengthen the balance of the team, which is maybe why they shouldn't even bother. It was just a suggestion, fun to speculate some trades, that's all my man.

Fair enough. I just don't see him as an upgrade to the existing forwards.

I'd like to add my two cents worth on this thread. I live in Kelowna BC, about a 5 hour drive from Vancouver. My 2 teams are Buffalo and the Canucks. I only want VanCity to lose when they play Buffalo. (I sure hope they never meet in the Finals)

Anyway, it's all fine and dandy to suggest this player for Biron, etc, but let me make some points since I am closer to the Van situation.

Firstly, they will not move Ohlund! He is their best d-man. He's a workhorse and he's going nowhere. He plays against the other team's top guy and is very underrated around the league. But Vancouver knows what he brings and they wouldn't move him for Biron. He's as close to untouchable as Naslund is.

Secondly, Jovo is not having a very good year. He seems worked up about being on the Olympic team and seems to be pressing. He may be moved this year as he's free to go after this season, but I doubt it will be to Buffalo. Unless the Sabres can agree to a longterm deal with him I don't see the Sabres "renting" him for the rest of the season.

Salo is a solid d-man, but I doubt the Canucks or Sabres would make that move.

Alex Auld is playing well. Tends to give up a fat rebound here and there which results in weak goals, but for the most part, he's been very good.

The Sabres don't need to move Biron until they KNOW that Miller will perform as well as Marty. The Canucks are in no hurry as there is a lot of season to be played, and Auld hasn't looked shaky.

The teams may make a deal for Biron, but I'd bet it will be in the new year and when both parties are sure of their tender situations.

Who Buffalo would grab in return would be interesting. Again, don't count on any of the three above mentioned defensemen. Jovo maybe, but only on assurances he signs longterm.

Archived