can someone explain something to me?

SDS

When I see old footage as recent as the 80's the goaltenders look tiny. There was SOOOOO much more net to shoot at.

Are the goalies these days that much bigger or is it all bigger equipment? Haven't there always been restrictions on pads?

I think its the equipment size as well as the shape and color of the crease. Back in the 80's, they had that tiny square crease, now its that larger semi-circle blue crease. I think its just an optical illusion.

It's not the crease.

I look at old films with Billy Smith, etc... and they were tiny in the goal.

Olie Kolzig blocks 95% of the net. Hell, even Hasek at 160 lbs soaking wet covered twice the space the old guys did.

It's the equipment, not necessarily the pads. Remember the Philly goalie that had the huge shoulder pads that stuck up? At least one shouldabeen goal went off those that one playoff year. Leg pads and blockers have always been regulated. The scoopers are bigger than they used to be though, I'm not sure what the rules are in relation to those.

It's the equipment. The NHL let the goalies cheating get way out of hand. Garth Snow had massive 2x4s in on his shoulders and since then they've been adding more and more to goalie equipment.

It's the equipment. The NHL let the goalies cheating get way out of hand. Garth Snow had massive 2x4s in on his shoulders and since then they've been adding more and more to goalie equipment.

Isn't Snow the one who supposedly had some kind of fishing line tied between the hips of his pants, up through his shirtsleeves and then tied somehow to his wrists? So that when he threw his arm out, the line would tighten and his shirt would help cover the area between his arm and side?

Archived