Sabres +/- numbers are scary

LabattBlue

Being masked by the success of recent weeks, is the dismal 5 on 5 play of the Sabres. This is reflected in how badly the +/- numbers(see link below) are for a team that is 8 games over .500. The reason this bothers me, is that sooner or later the PP is going to go through a drought or slump that is going to make this team offensively challenged and will cause difficulty in winning games if they can't score at even strength

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/teams/buf/stat...son_2005&sort=3.

It is scary, but some of those numbers are bloated due to the Ottawa games and Dumont's especially is no problem because he got hurt shortly into the slump and has no games since to bring it to respectability. Briere is in sort of the same boat.Drury, Roy, Grier and Campbell's scare me the most. McKee's is actually impressive when you think he miht be our D against others best forwards (Did he miss one or more of the Ottawa scalpings?). Also, as much as everyone likes to slap Tallinder around, his -1 for someone playing 29 games so far is real impressive. I think he even stepped up to playt w/ Lydman while McKee was hurt. I'll take this team at about even and be happy.With the amount of penalties that are being called now your PP can still slump a little and produce in a game (ie if you used to go 0 for 6 in a night that was the extent of your chances, but now you might get 8 or more cracks at it and just put one together and you get a goal out of it most nights).

The Sabres get 40% of their offense from the power play, 2% short handed and 58% even strength. I like that their power play is doing well. But I don't like that seem to rely on it too much. Take the game a gainst the Ducks. The Ducks played smart for most of the game and only took two penalties. The Sabres struggled to get any offense going. The Sabres took anvantage of the two chances they had but soon enough teams will get wise and the Sabres will see power plays harder to come by.

I'm not sure what ratio is best. 40% just seems too high.

The Sabres get 40% of their offense from the power play, 2% short handed and 58% even strength. I like that their power play is doing well. But I don't like that seem to rely on it too much. Take the game a gainst the Ducks. The Ducks played smart for most of the game and only took two penalties. The Sabres struggled to get any offense going. The Sabres took anvantage of the two chances they had but soon enough teams will get wise and the Sabres will see power plays harder to come by.

I'm not sure what ratio is best. 40% just seems too high.

78% of all statistics are made up. ;)

Archived