When briere is back who sits?

Strow

As has been said already, from last night's lineup, Peters will sit. No one needs to be sent down to Rochester because Briere is already on the active roster, he was never IRed. Also, Buffalo is carrying one player short of the maximum 23, so when Miller is activated, no one needs to be sent down.

My guess is that it will be Fitzpatrick and Peters, although when we feel like we need to dress Peters it will be Fitzpatrick and either Roy or Pominville. Mair is also vulnerable, although for games when we'd want Peters we'd probably also want Mair.

When Briere comes back I'd guess we'll go back to dressing only 6 defensemen. I think if Kalinin stays out of the doghouse, Fitzpatrick is going to be a healthy scratch most of the time unless someone gets hurt.

My guess at the forward lines:

connolly - briere - kotalik

roy - max - vanek

drury - hecht - grier

mair - gaustadt - pominville/peters

I really like those 4 lines. I know Grier has received a lot of criticism on these boards, but I think he's a pretty solid checking forward. He's got size and he'll lay a big hit on someone -- useful to have on a line with drury, who is small, and hecht, who is a pretty good player but also not a hitter.

Go Sabres.

My guess is that it will be Fitzpatrick and Peters, although when we feel like we need to dress Peters it will be Fitzpatrick and either Roy or Pominville. Mair is also vulnerable, although for games when we'd want Peters we'd probably also want Mair. Unlike Peters though, those two actually bring more to the ice than just fighting.

The thing is, there are no games where we need Peters. If they want someone to drop the gloves, Gaustad or Mair can do it.

The thing is, there are no games where we need Peters. If they want someone to drop the gloves, Gaustad or Mair can do it.

shrader -- I must disagree. Mair and Gaustadt are plenty tough, but when Ottawa dresses that guy McCarrants, we need Peters to be ready to rumble with him. And most of the good teams still have someone in that role.

I'd be just as happy if the NHL banned fighting for good, so that roster slot would go to a guy like Pominville or Roy instead of an enforcer, but as long as the rules stay the way they are, I think we still need one.

BTW: Ottawa just lost Martin Havlat (who scored 4 in one game against us) for the year. My heart ain't bleeding for them.

Go Sabres.

shrader -- I must disagree. Mair and Gaustadt are plenty tough, but when Ottawa dresses that guy McCarrants, we need Peters to be ready to rumble with him. And most of the good teams still have someone in that role.

We already can't keep up with Ottawa, now you want to dress Peters against them? Oh, and their goon is McGratton, and didn't Gaustad pummel him earlier this year?

As for most teams having a guy in that role, take a look at a lot of the rosters around the league. You'll find that a lot of fighters have been demoted because they're now useless.

I really like those 4 lines. I know Grier has received a lot of criticism on these boards, but I think he's a pretty solid checking forward. He's got size and he'll lay a big hit on someone -- useful to have on a line with drury, who is small, and hecht, who is a pretty good player but also not a hitter.

I completey disagree about Grier being "useful" to Drury. I think a large part of the reason Drury's point totals are down are because he is saddled with playing with Grier all the time. Grier has no offensive skills to speak of and is a great representative of the phrase "hands of stone". I'll say it until I'm blue in the face, put Grier down on the 4th line and give Drury a winger that he can work with!!!

The oddity of this situation is Lindy changes lines at the drop of a hat, but for some reason he leaves Grier with Drury.

Grier seems like a perfect fit on the 4th line but for some reason Lindy won't break up Drury and Grier. I guees it's that whole BU connection. For the brief stints that Grier has played their, the line has been doninant. Pyatt would seem like a better fit for the Drury line. Until then maybe use Pominville. His real value is at the point on the power play anyway.

I'd be just as happy if the NHL banned fighting for good, so that roster slot would go to a guy like Pominville or Roy instead of an enforcer, but as long as the rules stay the way they are, I think we still need one.

BTW: Ottawa just lost Martin Havlat (who scored 4 in one game against us) for the year. My heart ain't bleeding for them.

Go Sabres.

Why dress a goon in response?

With the Sabres PP as it is? It would be in their favor to have a Ottawa goon skateing around without a dance partner.

Archived