Vanek

DrunkenSabre

now im not ranting or bitching or pissed off. im merely disappointed that Vanek, who was supposed to do so well, has only got 5 goals. im happy with his points and assists, their good. im just disappointed about his goals. now dont get me wrong, but soon enough Pomiville may have passed him. thats not good considering vanek was 5th overall. im hoping he lights it up later in the season or at worst next season

anyone else disappointed?

oh and anyone else think Pom should be in TSN.ca's Rookie watch?

now im not ranting or bitching or pissed off. im merely disappointed that Vanek, who was supposed to do so well, has only got 5 goals. im happy with his points and assists, their good. im just disappointed about his goals. now dont get me wrong, but soon enough Pomiville may have passed him. thats not good considering vanek was 5th overall. im hoping he lights it up later in the season or at worst next season

anyone else disappointed?

oh and anyone else think Pom should be in TSN.ca's Rookie watch?

I've been a little disapointed as well. It seems like he spends an awful lot of time just floating around on the ice. He needs to put forth a better effort. I'd hate to see him waste his talents.

hmm well he was massivly hyped up with huge expectations to be the sabres new saviour... well he's not crosby or ovechkin and even those guys can't save there teams... im glad we have him and he's still with us... everytime i hear his name i think.... the potential is just bottled up... we just have to wait for it to explode... it almost looks like a max type situation... he's finnally just now coming out of his shell... vanek may do the same... who knows.

I'm starting to be a little disappointed, but he will have a long career ahead of him. He seems very predictable. On a breakaway he'll fake a slapshot halfway in and try to deke the goalie. Thank god it worked last night. He also seems to float on the ice. I'm beginning to believe he's not much of a skater or at least a slow skater. Hopefully I'm wrong and will be proven so as he gets more nhl ice time.

I'm starting to be a little disappointed, but he will have a long career ahead of him. He seems very predictable. On a breakaway he'll fake a slapshot halfway in and try to deke the goalie. Thank god it worked last night. He also seems to float on the ice. I'm beginning to believe he's not much of a skater or at least a slow skater. Hopefully I'm wrong and will be proven so as he gets more nhl ice time.

I drastically disagree mainly b/c he is not even halfway through his first NHL season. It is such a difference. Things probably started to come easy to him down in the A and he is probably learning the hardway that it is not the same game up here. I am actually a bit surprised by his playmaking ability. He really seems to see the whole ice and spot guys open.

That said, I have not noticed the "dogging" you guys mention, but I think if he really was doing so Lindy would have done/said something about it by now.

I think the situation could not be more ideal with the Sabres winning it puts less pressure on the kid and will give him the time to develop in to an all-around hockey player.

Admittedly the "dogging" I referenced is largely based on attending the 12/2 "game" against San Jose. Frankly, no one showed up that evening except a few fans and Sharks. It is so rare that I get to see the Sabres in person and see the entire ice surface, rather than what fits on a tv screen. I do believe he's simply a little slower than I assumed. I also think he'll turn into a goal scorer as he gets accustomed to the nhl.

I believe that Vanek is a bit of a floater and hopefully that will change as he matures. Of course is he can score 30-40 goals a year down the road, the floating will probably be tolerated a little bit more. As long as he is getting quality scoring opportunities, I am okay that he only has 5 goals to date. The assists and playmaking ability he has shown, more than make up for the lack of goals. I'd be more concerned if for the bulk of the 30 games so far, he was invisible for the majority of them.

I'd be much more concerned about some of the other Sabres who are far worse than Vanek is in terms of +/- including Drury & Grier.

PS Please keep in mind he is an NHL rookie.

i would be worried if he got off to a really hot starte but now the way he is playing u cant say he is not gonna be good. the goals will come the way he is with the puck is impressive and i dont think pominville has passed him although i think he should be in buffalo for the rest of the season....

if you compare vaneks numbers with "the two" rookies of this year the first thing you notice is the difference in ice time...just imagine vanek playing 4 more minutes a game and the numbers would be closer...also crosby has the better players around him and both of them are on the first power play unit...

ALEXANDER OVECHKIN L 27 17 13 30 -3 shots135 ice time19:55

SIDNEY CROSBY C 28 13 16 29 -8 shots91 ice time19:13

THOMAS VANEK L 29 5 14 19 -2 shots83 ice time 15:24

I just didn't understand why ruff seperated vanek from briere, as there was chemistry between them...

Another thing I remember was that vanek who scored a lot in preseason told the press after the first few games, that ruff didn't put him on the ice in important situations of a game and rather trusted the more experienced players instead of him...

One more thing:

ERIC STAAL

2003-2004 Hurricanes 81 11 20 31 -6 164 6.7

2005-2006 Hurricanes 28 20 21 41 4 102 19.6

THOMAS VANEK

2005-2006 Sabres 29 5 14 19 -2 83 6

2006-2007 Sabres ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Archived