Trading with the Pens?

PASabreFan

Darcy has dealt with Craig Patrick before (Barnababy for Barnes, aka Stupid for Stu). The Pens have the worst goaltending in hockey and desperately need a spark. We have a red-hot goaltender. What would we want (and reasonably get) off the Pens' underachieving roster? Thoughts?

Darcy has dealt with Craig Patrick before (Barnababy for Barnes, aka Stupid for Stu). The Pens have the worst goaltending in hockey and desperately need a spark. We have a red-hot goaltender. What would we want (and reasonably get) off the Pens' underachieving roster? Thoughts?

The Penguins have a bright spot in goal by the name of Fluery who has been tearing up the AHL(until they called him up recently) because they are trying to keep their payroll down and don't want him to earn incentive bonuses(or so I have read).

I can't believe they would have any interest in obtaining one of our goalies.

As someone mentioned before, Zigmund Palffy. I'd love to get him for our offense.

Not to sound like an ethnocentric, Don Cherry-type, but we have enough soft Euros on the team as it is (not to mention soft North Americans) -- I'm just starting to appreciate the make-up of this squad, and I'm not sure Ziggy would fit in, despite his enormous talent (and contract)..we need a top 4 D-man considerably more than another winger, especially an injury-prone one that hasn't played a full season since 1997-98...

we need a top 4 D-man considerably more than another winger, especially an injury-prone one that hasn't played a full season since 1997-98

That is why I'd be extremely surprised to see the Sabres trade for Palffy or any other high priced winger before the D is addressed.

Not to sound like an ethnocentric, Don Cherry-type, but we have enough soft Euros on the team as it is (not to mention soft North Americans) -- I'm just starting to appreciate the make-up of this squad, and I'm not sure Ziggy would fit in, despite his enormous talent (and contract)..we need a top 4 D-man considerably more than another winger, especially an injury-prone one that hasn't played a full season since 1997-98...

I tend to agree with you, but at the same time I would be shocked if Regier made a deal for a top 4 D-man. I would guess that he is content with the current situation and has 7 he can dress if necessary (8 if you include Janik as a call-up). In other words, I would guess he feels there is sufficient talent already on the roster and has the luxuary of sitting any of them out if they are not performing.

That being said, I think Kalinen is playing absolutely awful and needs more "bench" time.

I tend to agree with you, but at the same time I would be shocked if Regier made a deal for a top 4 D-man. I would guess that he is content with the current situation and has 7 he can dress if necessary (8 if you include Janik as a call-up). In other words, I would guess he feels there is sufficient talent already on the roster and has the luxuary of sitting any of them out if they are not performing.

That being said, I think Kalinen is playing absolutely awful and needs more "bench" time.

I thought Dmitri played pretty decent last night. I also think he's working his way out of the doghouse as he had over 18 min. of ice time.

As far as making a trade, I would prefer a top 4 defenseman too but I wouldn't rule out a tough, veteran forward who can score a little. It really depends on what's available. Frankly, I'm fairly satisfied with our defense right now. If a true star is available (like S. Niedermayer -- holy mackarel is he good) in exchange for Marty and some draft picks, fine, but that's not going to happen.

I'm not sure I want to bring in another guy who's about as good as what we have. We have great chemistry right now. Tallinder, Lydman, Campbell, McKee and Numminen are all playing pretty well, and Kalinin may be coming around. I suppose depth is always a good thing -- esp. b/c the mighty McKee just throws his body in front of the puck. So if we can get a good top 4 defenseman for Marty, I would do it, but not sure that's going to be possible.

Go Sabres.

Well something has to give in Pittsburgh, which lost again last night 5-0. Hard to blame goaltending when you don't score a goal, but clearly the situation in goal is a big part of the problem.

The Pens load up with talent but have scrubs at the most important position on the team -- who's running this team, Tom Donahoe? :o

Well something has to give in Pittsburgh, which lost again last night 5-0. Hard to blame goaltending when you don't score a goal, but clearly the situation in goal is a big part of the problem.

The Pens load up with talent but have scrubs at the most important position on the team -- who's running this team, Tom Donahoe? :o

Goaltending, smoaltending. Yeah, they do suck but they have about three forwards that can actually skate. Not to mention Tanrstrom and Gonchar don't play D.

I thought Dmitri played pretty decent last night. I also think he's working his way out of the doghouse as he had over 18 min. of ice time.

I went to the game last night and watched him quite a bit...he's looking more and more like the next Smehlik as opposed to the next Zhitnik..where did his toughness and offensive ability go?

Archived