Peters?

deluca67

Can someone please explain this to me?

What purpose does he serve? 6 shifts and 4 minutes a game? Why not dress a 7th defensemen incase of injury?

That fact he has a roster spot while a young prospect like Chris Thornburn gets lost to waivers is something I don't think I'll ever understand.

The penalty he took was horrible. And later in the game Teppo fed him a great pass and Peters fell :lol: with no one near him. :lol:

He may be a great guy. As a NHL hockey player? He is a joke. ;)

I disagree completely. Peters actually made a couple nice plays, and in the 1st period, when it seemed like everyone in a blue and gold jersey was skating around with their heads up their butts, it was Peters who came out flying, made a couple hits, got a shot on net and almost started a fight. Later in the game Lindy put Pominville on his line in place of Peters, but early on, you could easily argue that Peters-Gaustad-Mair was our best line.

I agree completely. He gave a cheap shot hit in the 1st and that cost us the first goal.. After that he was either just farting around the ice very slowly, and yes he did fall down.

He might have looked "better than usual" last night, but that's because you're used to seeing him in a suit, collecting a paycheck for doing nothing.

Deluca is right. We lost Thorburn to the Pens and Paille is sitting in Rochester for this? Is there anything Peters can contribute DURING play that Paille or Thorburn couldn't? Everyone's argument for keeping him on the team is that he puts the beat down when it's needed. Ok, but that's not during play AND is it really something Paul Gaustad couldn't do?

I agree completely. He gave a cheap shot hit in the 1st and that cost us the first goal.. After that he was either just farting around the ice very slowly, and yes he did fall down.

He might have looked "better than usual" last night, but that's because you're used to seeing him in a suit, collecting a paycheck for doing nothing.

Deluca is right. We lost Thorburn to the Pens and Paille is sitting in Rochester for this? Is there anything Peters can contribute DURING play that Paille or Thorburn couldn't? Everyone's argument for keeping him on the team is that he puts the beat down when it's needed. Ok, but that's not during play AND is it really something Paul Gaustad couldn't do?

Even worse than a stupid penalty that led to an early goal for the opponent, he gets out of the box and is gesturing like "what did I do to deserve a penalty?". Once again, if you can't be trusted to play more than a few shifts a game and only dress for 40 or so games a year, you shouldn't be on the team. :angry:

I disagree completely. Peters actually made a couple nice plays, and in the 1st period, when it seemed like everyone in a blue and gold jersey was skating around with their heads up their butts, it was Peters who came out flying, made a couple hits, got a shot on net and almost started a fight. Later in the game Lindy put Pominville on his line in place of Peters, but early on, you could easily argue that Peters-Gaustad-Mair was our best line.

Actually I will argue just the opposite.

The Sabres had started to put some really good shifts together until Peters took that stupid penalty. Peters gives you nothing a Thornburn couldn't give. Thornburn has some actual hockey skills. Peters could step on the ice without a blade on his stick and it wouldn't change his game a bit.

This organIzation has too much talent and the prize at the end of the season is too important to waste a roster spot on a player that does nothing to make you better. If he did don't you think he would get one shift in the playoffs? ;)

if you guys are referring to that interference call that was a bad call. i just watched that play about 6 times on TiVo this morning and Begin actually turns in to Peters. It was a simple collision but b/c it was PEters it was called. Maybe there was another I missed, but this was not a penalty. (Although there was one later in the game that he should have been called for)

I'm willing to give this PEters project a try. The guy lost 25 lbs in the off-season and he was usually first in on the forecheck on his few shifts. If the Coach of the Year thinks there is a reason for it, I'm on board for the time being...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Peters is useless to us. Most said above I agree except that Thornburn is a better option... I guess if you want one stooge for another stooge fine, but both of them serve no purpose on this team. What I saw of Thornburn in the preseason (granted, only two games) showed me was a total goon that took dumb penalties and went for the hit instead of an opportunity with the puck. I'm glad he's not here but would be extatic if Peter's was gone too. We don't need him, if we need a scrap, Mair or Gaustad are more than capable. Peters cost us a goal with the dumb penalty, and I don't care what you say, it was interference all the way, no where near the puck. Gaustad and Mair work thier off and Peters won't help them get any goals. He did have one good shift, I'll give him that... but he's just not worth it.

He lost weight, he's faster, blah blah ... .I get it, but none of that made him a better all around player, he's just a lighter faster goon, and I don't feel like we need him to play his 2:30 a game.

I'm sure he's a great guy, this is not a personal attack and I know he's a better hockey player than me (obviously, he is in the NHL), but we just don't needd him and he actually hurts us.

if you guys are referring to that interference call that was a bad call. i just watched that play about 6 times on TiVo this morning and Begin actually turns in to Peters. It was a simple collision but b/c it was PEters it was called. Maybe there was another I missed, but this was not a penalty. (Although there was one later in the game that he should have been called for)

I'm willing to give this PEters project a try. The guy lost 25 lbs in the off-season and he was usually first in on the forecheck on his few shifts. If the Coach of the Year thinks there is a reason for it, I'm on board for the time being...

The "Coach of the Year" doesn't have any say in the matter. Because of the cap, the Sabres currently have no extra forwards on the roster and they aren't going to pay Peters 500k a year to skate for the Amerks.

I didn't think that the Peters-Gaustad-Mair played too badly. They were aggressive and made scoring chances. I don't think that they were our best line by any means, and once they got into the zone it was a little ugly at times. But I argue that you still need an enforcer line, and when you got 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 all together, well that's what you've got. I liked Thorburn, but he's got 3 years less experience and Peters did get faster this offseason. He's still a goof but for some reason I like him.

Besides, did Thorburn ever fight his own brother on ice?

Why not dress a 7th defensemen incase of injury?

If you play the entire game with 5 defensemen it averages only 4 min. of extra ice time

for each defensemen compared to 6. If there is a defensive injury in the middle of the game that forces you

to go to 5 usually it is only about 2 min., which for defensemen is roughly only 2 extra shifts.

It doesn't make sense to dress a 7th.

If you play the entire game with 5 defensemen it averages only 4 min. of extra ice time

for each defensemen compared to 6. If there is a defensive injury in the middle of the game that forces you

to go to 5 usually it is only about 2 min., which for defensemen is roughly only 2 extra shifts.

It doesn't make sense to dress a 7th.

I Think it makes more sense then dressing Peters. It was just a thought. ;)

peters is useless if the other team doesn't have a "heavyweight." if they're playing ottawa i want him in there just in case mcgrattan and/or neil try to start something. however, there are some times when he serves absolutely no purpose - vs. carolina and montreal. neither has a true heavyweight, and both mair and gaustad have proven that they can take any middleweight out there.

if they can't call up paille or afford thorburn due to salary cap reasons, that's fine, but nathan paetsch played on the wing alot in rochester, so why not get him out there with mair and gaustad? even if they want him to be a dman, getting some ice time is better than none.

I didn't think that the Peters-Gaustad-Mair played too badly. They were aggressive and made scoring chances. I don't think that they were our best line by any means, and once they got into the zone it was a little ugly at times. But I argue that you still need an enforcer line, and when you got 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 all together, well that's what you've got. I liked Thorburn, but he's got 3 years less experience and Peters did get faster this offseason. He's still a goof but for some reason I like him.

Besides, did Thorburn ever fight his own brother on ice?

I couldn't disagree more. The "enforcer" role in the NHL is dead. What you need is a physical line. And that line still needs have some skill. That's why I think Thornburn would be a much better fit. He is tough and has a little skill. Thornburn is younger but also had a much bigger upside. Peters has no upside. He's a goof that gets in own way.

I also have to really questions Peters role as the so-called "enforcer". Darcy Tucker took a cheap shot at Hecht last season. Didn't both Peters and Tucker dress in the preseason game? Where was the response? ;)

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Peters is useless to us. Most said above I agree except that Thornburn is a better option... I guess if you want one stooge for another stooge fine, but both of them serve no purpose on this team. What I saw of Thornburn in the preseason (granted, only two games) showed me was a total goon that took dumb penalties and went for the hit instead of an opportunity with the puck. I'm glad he's not here but would be extatic if Peter's was gone too. We don't need him, if we need a scrap, Mair or Gaustad are more than capable. Peters cost us a goal with the dumb penalty, and I don't care what you say, it was interference all the way, no where near the puck. Gaustad and Mair work thier off and Peters won't help them get any goals. He did have one good shift, I'll give him that... but he's just not worth it.

He lost weight, he's faster, blah blah ... .I get it, but none of that made him a better all around player, he's just a lighter faster goon, and I don't feel like we need him to play his 2:30 a game.

I'm sure he's a great guy, this is not a personal attack and I know he's a better hockey player than me (obviously, he is in the NHL), but we just don't needd him and he actually hurts us.

The "Coach of the Year" doesn't have any say in the matter. Because of the cap, the Sabres currently have no extra forwards on the roster and they aren't going to pay Peters 500k a year to skate for the Amerks.

I can't believe I am about to say this, but I agree with DeLuca - although I don't think Peters played a bad game last night, I would much rather have Paille or Thorburn in the lineup. Ironically, I got jumped on in another thread a couple days ago when I made a comment about Paille getting recalled and sending Peters back to the press box - and the Coach of the Year comments came out there too. Basically, with Timmy's salary on the books until they can LT-IR him, and with the team so close to the cap, they really had no choice but to send Paille down and keep Peters, since Paille A) makes more than Peters ($760K to $460K and B) Paille has a two-way contract, so when he goes down, the Sabres pay him around $60-$70K, while Peters' has a one-way, "$460K no matter where I play" contract.

I would have much rather had them kept Thorburn than Peters - I don't know about his preseason, maybe he thought the only way he was going to make the team was to fill an enfornce/banger role (which is likely), but he did show he put the puck in the net in Rochester, so its obvious he has some skills.

I thought Peters played an pretty good game (by his standards) yesterday - I thought the penalty was BS and the only reason he got called, accidental collision or not, was the way he folded his arms to brace for the collision and the way he fell - he looked like he was throwing a check on him and not running into him on accident. If Peters falls the same way Begin does, he doesn't get called, IMO.

The thing that bugs me most about keeping Peters on the roster is that we could have lost Pominville last season for the same reason we lost Thornburn. The Sabres got really lucky. Who knows. Maybe we lost this years Pominville. We'll never know. Who will we lose next season so we can keep Peters and his 4 minutes a game? :o

IThe "enforcer" role in the NHL is dead. What you need is a physical line.

Agreed, I mispoke. What I meant was the physicality of the line. You need that monster forecheck, and that's what this line could potentially bring.

The thing that bugs me most about keeping Peters on the roster is that we could have lost Pominville last season for the same reason we lost Thornburn. The Sabres got really lucky. Who knows. Maybe we lost this years Pominville. We'll never know. Who will we lose next season so we can keep Peters and his 4 minutes a game? :o

We could have lost Pominville, but let me check...We didn't. I thought Peters looked improved over last year. He skated hard on the forecheck, and put in 110% last night. The penalty was B.S. Two guys just happened to run into one another.

I would rather have Paille in the lineup, but we can't afford to right now.

EDIT: The TSN announcers were talking about how improved Peters was as well!

We could have lost Pominville, but let me check...We didn't. I thought Peters looked improved over last year. He skated hard on the forecheck, and put in 110% last night. The penalty was B.S. Two guys just happened to run into one another.

I would rather have Paille in the lineup, but we can't afford to right now.

EDIT: The TSN announcers were talking about how improved Peters was as well!

That right there sounds like a Bills fan talking. The standards are so low for Peters that anything seems like an improvement.

And,

What is all this talk about seeing improvement? He had 9 shifts for 6:25. The reason you noticed him was the bad penalty and falling down. Anf his physical play? He had 2 hits. For a guy trying to make an impression you would think he would be more physical. ;)

That right there sounds like a Bills fan talking. The standards are so low for Peters that anything seems like an improvement.

And,

What is all this talk about seeing improvement? He had 9 shifts for 6:25. The reason you noticed him was the bad penalty and falling down. Anf his physical play? He had 2 hits. For a guy trying to make an impression you would think he would be more physical. ;)

It seems like most everyone agrees that Thorburn would have been a better choice to keep around than Peters, and I agree that it sucks the Sabres lost him to Pittsburgh. The Pens certainly had a good look at him during the preseason, but it would have been nice to get him through waivers.

DeLucca is right in that the standards aren't very high for Peters...but what exactly is his role this year? If it's to play on an energy line with Gaustad and Mair, then I think he can adequately do so. He did fine last night. BmWolf and HoplesslyObvious got the penalty call completely right. It seemed completely incidental from where I was sitting. He got a couple shots on net, set up a few plays, made a few hits and that was that.

Peters did more last night that Taylor Pyatt did in 80% of the games he dressed for. Is Peters going to net 10 goals and 15 assists this year? No. Should we expect it? I don't know. Personally, I don't...as long as he's skating hard and playing physical I feel he's doing his "job".

Also, in response to whoever it was that mentioned the Peters-Gaustad-Mair line cost us momentum early on...I completely disagree. We didn't get any momentum at all in the 1st period until that line stepped out on the ice. Lindy put them on right after the 1st Montreal goal as well and they responded well. THe first 10 minutes of the game they were the only line that didn't look like they were playing in a fog.

I agree with much of the sentiment here. It's a cruel world where you can work as hard as Peters did this summer and still get cut. But c'mon, he is useless. The days of the heavyweight in the NHL is over. We might be small, but we're still a tough team.

Last year we relied on our 4 line scoring. Our 4th line will not score with Peters there. Paille gives them the chance to do something offensively while still being that "Energy" line.

I agree that we shouldn't have Paestch as a seventh defensman. There is no need for that when probably 4 or 5 of our defensman are capable of playing 20-25 minutes a night anyway.

As far as letting Chris T. go... I don't mind so much. He didn't seem that good to me to begin with. I'd almost rather Peters than him. At least Peters looks mean.

can we at least all agree that when Connolly is back, Peters is the first one to go?

It seems like most everyone agrees that Thorburn would have been a better choice to keep around than Peters, and I agree that it sucks the Sabres lost him to Pittsburgh. The Pens certainly had a good look at him during the preseason, but it would have been nice to get him through waivers.

DeLucca is right in that the standards aren't very high for Peters...but what exactly is his role this year? If it's to play on an energy line with Gaustad and Mair, then I think he can adequately do so. He did fine last night. BmWolf and HoplesslyObvious got the penalty call completely right. It seemed completely incidental from where I was sitting. He got a couple shots on net, set up a few plays, made a few hits and that was that.

Peters did more last night that Taylor Pyatt did in 80% of the games he dressed for. Is Peters going to net 10 goals and 15 assists this year? No. Should we expect it? I don't know. Personally, I don't...as long as he's skating hard and playing physical I feel he's doing his "job".

Also, in response to whoever it was that mentioned the Peters-Gaustad-Mair line cost us momentum early on...I completely disagree. We didn't get any momentum at all in the 1st period until that line stepped out on the ice. Lindy put them on right after the 1st Montreal goal as well and they responded well. THe first 10 minutes of the game they were the only line that didn't look like they were playing in a fog.

I like the idea of rolling four lines. You can't do that with Peters in the lineup. If you could he would have played in the playoffs last year.

If he's not good enough to step foot on the ice in a playoff game, where you would think a physical force would be most important, why play him in the regular season. Why not give the spot to someone who may help you when you need it most, the playoffs. That's the part I really don't understand. The regular season is about getting ready for the playoffs. Why have a guy you don't plan to use then. ;)

I think that mentality isn't right DeLuca, but the end result is the same.

Peters will never be anything more than a big guy on the ice to hit people.

Paille has a future, we should start getting him ready to embrace that future.

I like the idea of rolling four lines. You can't do that with Peters in the lineup. If you could he would have played in the playoffs last year.

If he's not good enough to step foot on the ice in a playoff game, where you would think a physical force would be most important, why play him in the regular season. Why not give the spot to someone who may help you when you need it most, the playoffs. That's the part I really don't understand. The regular season is about getting ready for the playoffs. Why have a guy you don't plan to use then. ;)

I sound like a Bills fan huh? I think you just have it out for Peters. He skated hard, and wasn't a liability out there last night. Saw more ice time than in the Carolina game.

I know you will keep pointing to the penalty, but IMHO it was just not a good call. They just ran into each other.

Besides this is moot. We would both like Paille out there, but the fact of the matter is putting Paille out there right now would bump the team over the salary cap.

Seeing your comments on Briere earlier in the summer, I am not losing any sleep over the fact that you disagree with me.

Wow, Peters is like a pariah on this forum... not too many fight fans left in Buffalo, I guess. He's not very skilled but he tries his hardest to contribute. I think he could definitely be worse, and he showed some real signs of improvement last night, both in forechecking and in actually making plays when the puck came to him. Sure, he's not going to create a lot offensively like a Paille would, but look at his linemates, they're not exactly offensive wizards either. Their job is to go out there, bang some bodies around, and if they're lucky, someone coughs up the puck and they can bang home an ugly goal.

Bah, I still like him, no matter what anyone says. :P

Archived