Biron

hopeleslyobvious

Ok, so it's no secret I'm not a big Biron fan...I will admit he has been playing well lately, but I'm concerned about him on breakaways. Sorry all I have are stats from Penalty shots and shootouts:

Cole scored on the first penalty shot, and fired the second one wide.

Both Rangers shooters scored in the shootout. (He came in cold, and I can't really blame him, but worth mentioning anyways).

Yashin shot one off the post in the Islanders shootout, and the second shooter (I think it was Blake?) fanned on the shot. (Correct me if I'm wrong on those, because I was listening on the radio to the Islanders broadcasters).

Now Svatos scored tonight on a penalty shot.

So it seems that if someone actually gets their shot on net, it goes in. Not a good sign.

The announcers hit the nail on the head with Marty. He has to stop with the attempted poke check during penalty shots/shootouts, because when he misses more than likely it is an easy goal.

PS On Colordao's first goal, Marty was once again caught on the goal line. Why can I see this, but not the Sabres goaltending coach. He can be a disaster in terms of fundamentals from time to time, which is extremely frustrating for a guy who has been around as long as he has.

Also, great win by the Sabres despite blowing the big lead!!!!!!

ya know i think biron is pretty good on breakaways... he is far back in his net but still i think the crosby save was on a breakaway wasn't it... he's been playing great. and yea i ripped on him when they first put him in and i was wrong. i can admit that... he is playing well espeically when he gets on a roll.

I don't remember the breakaways specifically, but a player hitting the post can also be a result of a well positioned goalie. It's more than a stretch to hold those against Biron.

Like I said, I didn't see the play, I just heard it on the radio. I will give Biron the benefit of the doubt, but I still think this is an area that he is weak. Just another thought that I had while I was out on my run (what the hell else is there to think about when you're running), the Avs announcers mentioned last night that there have been 40 penalty shots this year and that 17 have resulted in goals (18 goals in 41 after last night I am assuming). Biron has given up 2 of those on 3 attempts. He is a pretty good goaltender in most situations, but I think he falls to pieces on breakaways and odd man rushes. Honestly, were you confident that he was going to stop that penalty shot last night? Part of it falls on Campbell, because there was no way Svatos was going to have time to put a great move on or really even get that good of a shot off.

As for the Crosby shot. I don't remember if it was a breakaway or not. It was a good save though.

I saw the Crosby shot again last night. It was not a breakaway, it was a one timer on a 2 on 1. So we can't look at that when deciding if he's bad on breakways (which is good because it would have hurt my argument, ha!) Still a nice save. For everyone who has Comcast, check out the On Demand. There is free NHL highlights every week. Top 10 goals, saves and hits. Pretty cool.

Archived