Very Good 1st 3rd of the Season

gkozlows

At the beginning of the season, following little activity by the Sabres in the free agent market, most on this board expected a horrible season for the Sabres.

I for one expected Lindy Ruff's defensive system to realy hamper the team's attempt to adjust to the expected NHL's more free offense.

What a pleasant surprise so far.

I think i can speak for all of us by saying hell yes we're pleasantly suprised. I was one who didn't think that the sabres would do all that bad, however i was down that we didn't keep satan and/or zhitnik, and was pretty mad when darcy didn't bring in anyone in the top tier of free agency, but this team has definitely come together. Save that bad run last month, this team has played great hockey. I'm hoping that the sabres can reverse the trend of losing a bunch of games after a horrible defeat (like the sharks game) and win tonight. If they can put it together in colorado, that will be a pleasant suprise for me. But yeah, to be in the thick of the playoff picture in early december is a huge rush for me. Last season, we had to have that huge run in march just to get within striking distance of the 8th spot. Now we're in 6th place, and we're 3 and a half games out of first in the conference... not too bad indeed!

Right now, 1/3 of the way through the season, the Sabres are on pace for 100 points, and the 9th place club (NJ) is on pace for 91-92. I still think 94-95 points will be the threshold for playoffs. I think the Sabres are in good position, they have not let injuries drag them down. Sometimes it's GOOD not to have any studs on the team!

I don't know that they'll make the playoffs, but feel pretty confident that they will.

Right now, 1/3 of the way through the season, the Sabres are on pace for 100 points, and the 9th place club (NJ) is on pace for 91-92. I still think 94-95 points will be the threshold for playoffs. I think the Sabres are in good position, they have not let injuries drag them down. Sometimes it's GOOD not to have any studs on the team!

I don't know that they'll make the playoffs, but feel pretty confident that they will.

Who was the last team that didn't have a "Stud" that won the Cup? Just wondering.

Who was the last team that didn't have a "Stud" that won the Cup? Just wondering.

Come on, you and I and everyone else that posts on this board (with the possible exception of Todd) realize this team will not win the Cup this year.

My point with that statement was that due to the makeup of the team, there weren't ANY players that would doom the Sabres season if they were lost to injury (although I had thought that an injury to Ryan MIGHT have been insurmountable). Considering the fact that the Sabres have lost 2 of their top 3 goalies, 3 of their top 4 D-men, their top forward and several other forwards for significant portions of time this season, but are still on pace to make the playoffs; I think that my point is valid.

Come on, you and I and everyone else that posts on this board (with the possible exception of Todd) realize this team will not win the Cup this year.

My point with that statement was that due to the makeup of the team, there weren't ANY players that would doom the Sabres season if they were lost to injury (although I had thought that an injury to Ryan MIGHT have been insurmountable). Considering the fact that the Sabres have lost 2 of their top 3 goalies, 3 of their top 4 D-men, their top forward and several other forwards for significant portions of time this season, but are still on pace to make the playoffs; I think that my point is valid.

I give you everything except the point on the defense. To say the Sabres lost 3 of the top four blueliners doesn't mean anything to me since I don't think they have a top 4 blueliner right. Campbell has been the best for the most part.

Anyway.

The point about not having a "Stud" is more to the point of at some time in the future this team will need to go out and get a top line guy or a top blueliner and more than likely both. I'll be happy this season with just making the playoffs. If they do then the bar get raised next season.

The goal as stated by Quinn is three years for a Cup run. If your telling me that this season is a foundation building year then I'll be happy to accept that. But at some point this team will need to add talent at the top of the roster.

I give you everything except the point on the defense. To say the Sabres lost 3 of the top four blueliners doesn't mean anything to me since I don't think they have a top 4 blueliner right. Campbell has been the best for the most part.

Anyway.

The point about not having a "Stud" is more to the point of at some time in the future this team will need to go out and get a top line guy or a top blueliner and more than likely both. I'll be happy this season with just making the playoffs. If they do then the bar get raised next season.

The goal as stated by Quinn is three years for a Cup run. If your telling me that this season is a foundation building year then I'll be happy to accept that. But at some point this team will need to add talent at the top of the roster.

I will agree they don't have a top 2 D-man (although a HEALTHY Kalinen MAY be one). I won't get into an argument over whether the rest are top 4, top 6, or top 8. Regardless of how you rate the D-men, you have to admit that at least 3 of the guys that the SABRES consider their top 6 have been dealing with injuries this year.

I will agree they don't have a top 2 D-man (although a HEALTHY Kalinen MAY be one). I won't get into an argument over whether the rest are top 4, top 6, or top 8. Regardless of how you rate the D-men, you have to admit that at least 3 of the guys that the SABRES consider their top 6 have been dealing with injuries this year.

Without question. I wouldn't be dressing Kalinin now. He is clearly not a 100%. I get the feeling if the Sabres would have any type of replacement he would be on the IR. He is not skateing well. He's just not himself.

It would be nice for the Sabres if some of the blueliner prospects could come right in like Roy and Pominville. A few years ago this teams D line prospects were rated #1. Alot has changed. There have been a couple of blueliners traded the past few weeks. I have to wonder if those guys could help the Sabres. If the Sabres make the playoffs it will be because of the power paly and goaltending. The blueline needs to get healthier and stronger by addition. I just hope the Sabres don't fall too much in love with themselves

and decide to stand pat.

Ed Jovonovski may be available at the end of the season. He would instantly make the Sabres (and many other teams) an instant contender.

The Sabres will be in a position to make a run for him financially, and hopefully their on-ice production will keep up and Jovocop will be willing to come to a team on the verge.

Pleasantly surprised at what this team has accomplished so far. I may have posted this in September--don't recall--but my thought after seeing a couple of open practices was, "no way this team skates with Montreal, Toronto, or Ottawa." Nice to see that I'm 2/3 wrong, and as for Ottawa, well, I think they could beat the 1980s Oilers and Isles. (The 70s Canadiens would be a contest.)

After recently moving back to Buffalo, this is the first season in seeming eternity that I've been able to watch every game, whether live or on TV. I'm getting such a charge out of that; it's something to look forward to on a lot of workdays. Also, after years of only discussing Buffalo hockey on usenet (this forum hasn't been around as long), it's great to be able to talk Sabs 'round the water cooler or in a local bar.

HSBC is becoming more personable--the fans who show up really know their hockey, and the arena has more organ music (when I can talk to the fans I'm with) and less hip-hop (which is too loud, so I can't) between whistles. The players are completely fan-friendly.

All in all, at this point in the season, I almost feel that it was worth the wait. This team won't win the Cup this year, but they will be a lot of fun to follow.

Archived